Drivetrain JCW Tuning Kit & DINAN?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:27 AM
NewEnglandThunder
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Tuning Kit & DINAN?!

I have a 2017 F56 3 door and have the JCW tuning kit AND DINAN as well as a K&N Intake and its fantastic however I am curious if anyone else out there has done this. have had it like this for about 12,000 miles now and no issues until now i am experiencing some interesting turbo spooling sounds almost like the valve is fluttering on spool up. which i wouldn't be too surprised since the stock turbo is currently pushing 19.9psi sometimes seen it go to 21psi

car is also starting to have slow turbo spool sometimes when in manual shift and then comes on boost really hard around 4500rpm which is very abnormal as it typically makes full boost before 2000rpm even with that gear i was in at the times this has occurred.

considering taking off the DINAN tune for a cppl days to see what effect this may have.

feedback or information would be helpful if anyone else has done something similar to what i have

Old 06-16-2017, 12:55 PM
mkt3000
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is similar enough to my setup to make me curious. Subscribed.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:58 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
I assume you mean the Dinan piggyback unit? Assuming so, they have a phone app for android and iPhone that will connect to the device using Bluetooth. You can turn off the extra boost. Easy and no need to disconnect for testing.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:12 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
I assume you mean the Dinan piggyback unit? Assuming so, they have a phone app for android and iPhone that will connect to the device using Bluetooth. You can turn off the extra boost. Easy and no need to disconnect for testing.

yep, just use the app and put it back to stock setting

Old 06-24-2017, 07:05 AM
NewEnglandThunder
Neutral
no longer has slow boost build up issue must have been a fluke deal. however i do now have check engine light on sometimes and the code is "after running boost pressure reading too high"
and of course i have the phone app for it, and have put it back into stock boost ect. I actually work for a BMW dealer and i got my mini through my Mini dealer that we own. we are also a DINAN certified dealer and installer so we have already gone through all this and tried various things I just wanted to see if anyone else has done what I have done and DINAN'd a JCW tuning kit and was having possible issues

Old 06-24-2017, 07:06 AM
NewEnglandThunder
Neutral
also i always run mine on the Race tune. since i use rather high octance fuel anyhow

Old 07-04-2017, 06:00 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by NewEnglandThunder
no longer has slow boost build up issue must have been a fluke deal. however i do now have check engine light on sometimes and the code is "after running boost pressure reading too high"
and of course i have the phone app for it, and have put it back into stock boost ect. I actually work for a BMW dealer and i got my mini through my Mini dealer that we own. we are also a DINAN certified dealer and installer so we have already gone through all this and tried various things I just wanted to see if anyone else has done what I have done and DINAN'd a JCW tuning kit and was having possible issues
Ah, I see. Didn't realize you were already versed in this -- since that was your first post on NAM I assumed low knowledge. Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:38 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I have a similar setup with the exception of a NM Module instead of Dinan. I have found, and it's been proven on a dyno that running the module in the "High" setting adds too much boost when paired with the Tuning Kit. It actually puts out less power than the low setting because the ECU is trying to compensate for the excess boost by retarding timing, fuel, etc. The only time I'll try "High" again is if I'm running 100+ octane fuel.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
I had been running my Dinan on 'race' with 91 top tier pump gas. Several thousand happy miles then the other day, stuck in nasty stop and go with over 100 degree F outside temps, I got a little knock at low speed acceleration.

Lowered the Dinan down to 'sport +' and noticed 2 things. First, no recurrence of the knock. Second, the car is happier. I had been enjoying the 'race' but, now that I'm using 'sport +', the car still has plenty of giddyup, but is smoother and, I'd say, happier. As I reported elsewhere, we just did a 650 mile round trip; freeway, mountain passes, high altitude, sea level, ambient temps hit over 100 for several parts of the trip. Car was so happy and certainly had ample boost going over the mountains up Interstate 5 out of Los Angeles, and did wonderfully on the two lanes at higher altitudes near Yosemite.

Keeping it in 'sport +' from now on. Car flies and is giving me all the low end boost between 1,500 ~ 2,500 RPM I desire.

Also, don't forget, that K&N intake is pulling hot under bonnet air. Not what the car wants, especially if you're asking for high boost levels. Your engine management is going to work overtime trying to figure out the right adjustments -- so many inputs to process and tweak.

FYI, I'm running an otherwise standard S Clubman -- Dinan is my only mod.