Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Which exhaust for 2002 MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which exhaust for 2002 MCS?

My 02 MCS has had a Scorpion cat back exhaust installed since about 2004 and I have been very happy with it for the most part. Back when this was my main track car during a track day I melted the pre-cat into a solid slug and had to replace the stock header with an aftermarket one. No issues there but when the cat melted it must have sent a bunch of junk down stream as the exhaust was louder afterward and continued to get louder over time. This car doesn't see many miles anymore as it is my wife's sunny days car and she complained about how loud it was getting. (Strange looks from fellow workers in the company parking lot).

I decided to order a new Scorpion exhaust from Bavarian (they still sell them) but when I tried to install it I discovered that they must have changed something because it doesn't fit at all. The muffler also came with a huge dent so that part was going to be returned anyway, now I am thinking I should return the whole exh and get something else.

Which exh that is currently available is not too loud and doesn't drone? I've been out of the MINI seen for awhile so any help would be great.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:26 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Full custom running Thrush Glasspacks!!

While that is what I would do, I realize it probably isn't an answer you're wanting.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on your budget and what your goals are I suppose. The Alta is the cheapest at around $600 if I remember correctly. It sounds too much like a Honda exhaust for my taste but that's hard to get away from with these 4 cylinders. For around $800 a lot of people love the Milltek exhaust, which can come either resonated or non resonated to suit your sound preference. I have the Remus which is around $1000 but had the sound I was looking for so I just waited until I could afford it. At WOT it reminds of an old British sports car for some reason which I loved.

Exhausts are really hard to give advice on since what people want and like is really based on there personal preferences.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I would highly recommend our stratmosphere exhaust as there is no drone with it and proved to make the most torque as that is what actually moves the car rather than a 7000rpm hp gain. But it still has a good sound and fits right on like you want it to.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/stratm...3-hardtop.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more