Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Stratosphere exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Biggiesmalls
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stratosphere exhaust question

so seen some threads about this exhaust, im interested in the milltek resonated I just want little louder then stock but not trying to pay arm and leg.
Miltek resonated is pricey found about stratosphere and people saying it was cheap look alike and what not, turns out it's same price..... any input eould
help. Previous owner of my Cooper s put some
stupkd exhaust tips on car I hate and have to change. Thanks in advance

Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
What is your budget?

I just had a buddy take his stock system and a shop took the Mini "cans" off and he had them weld a flowmaster in.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:27 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesmalls
so seen some threads about this exhaust, im interested in the milltek resonated I just want little louder then stock but not trying to pay arm and leg.
Miltek resonated is pricey found about stratosphere and people saying it was cheap look alike and what not, turns out it's same price..... any input eould
help. Previous owner of my Cooper s put some
stupkd exhaust tips on car I hate and have to change. Thanks in advance
Yes, they are virtually the same price. I've done a great deal of research; when I do upgrade Scarlet, (06/R53) I will use the Stratosphere exhaust from Way.
That should be soon, just getting a few other things done first. Hope that helps..

Old 05-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Biggiesmalls
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop
What is your budget?

I just had a buddy take his stock system and a shop took the Mini "cans" off and he had them weld a flowmaster in.
I just wasn't looking to spend 900+ after shipping for exhaust.
I guess I'm gonna though, flowmasters are gonna be too loud for me. It's my daily in a town where you can't fart with out getting a ticket for noise ordinance haha well unless you have a straight piped diesel then it's ok 😬

Old 05-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Biggiesmalls
Neutral
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Yes, they are virtually the same price. I've done a great deal of research; when I do upgrade Scarlet, (06/R53) I will use the Stratosphere exhaust from Way.
That should be soon, just getting a few other things done first. Hope that helps..
why go with the copy if it's same price as the original? Anything better on it?

Old 05-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Guke
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked into the Invidia N1? I think its around $600. I've heard good things about them.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:32 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Biggiesmalls
why go with the copy if it's same price as the original? Anything better on it?
I wouldn't say it's a copy, just another vendor making an exhaust system.
I don't think there would be a performance gain from one over the other. I've done research, listened to both systems on YouTube and I like the way the Strat sounds over the Milltek. Way Motor Works is local to me and that's a Plus.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My guess is that we haven't heard yet from Way himself because he's is tied up with MOTD stuff. He sells both Milltek and Stratmosphere catbacks... charging a wee bit more for the Milltek, but personally choosing to go with the Stratmosphere on his own vehicles. Per his site:

If you have an 02-06 R53 MINI Cooper S this is the catback exhaust you want. The stratmosphere is the most beautiful exhaust on the market in every way. The look, the sound, the fitment, the craftsmanship. You get dialed-in fitment with hand-finished components by the builder topped off by double-chrome stainless WMW tips. This system is extremely easy to fit very quickly and behaves with a sound that everyone will enjoy. Systems are fully stainless inside and out and have been tested and verified at our USA headquarters. This is a full catback exhaust system. It bolts directly to the flange behind the factory cat so no cutting or welding is required and your emissions is NOT effected. The stratmosphere catback is made entirely of stainless steel so it will most likely outlast the car. This MINI Cooper S catback exhaust will improve the exhaust flow while balancing the back pressure to give you maximum torque gains. But at the same time this exhaust will give you a nice tone, a little louder than stock, and no ricey honda sound. Also is has NO DRONE on the highway, a big plus as this is a common problem with most other exhausts. Way Motor Works uses this exhaust on his person car, and 2 other family members MINI's, so that says alot.

Built to the same specs as the Milltek, just a cheaper price.
I need to replace my exhaust system in the next month or so and will be going with the Stratmosphere based largely on his testimony.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:32 AM
frankiev
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I just installed the stratmosphere non res on an 03 and it sounds great ,however its not very loud . Personally Id prefer a little more volume . I imagine the resonated version would be very quiet

Old 06-02-2017, 04:30 PM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I've got a resonated version, great looking and sounding exhaust. It wont turn your mini into an Abarth but its got a great refined exhaust note with no drone.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:33 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just ordered mine -- resonated -- from Way; will keep you posted.

Last edited by TimL; 06-05-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Turns out unresonated is on back order at WMW, so I'll be getting a resonated one instead.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed my resonated version a few weeks ago and i love it, mellow sporty tone. Perfect for a daily driver

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:41 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
With all my praising in this post of the Stratosphere exhaust, for personal reasons I went with the Borla Sport exhaust, glad I did, sounds awesome.