Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 10:54 AM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intakes

I've received some feedback on different intakes, but I would really like some advice from the mini forum. I have a Cooper S.

Old 10-01-2004, 10:58 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Alta without optional hose:smile: .

Old 10-01-2004, 11:00 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
I had a Pilo and really liked it. I removed for the Hot Air Intake, which will be arriving shortly.

Going from the Pilo intake to the stock intake last week was noticeable, not only because of the sound, but also because the Pilo felt like it gave a little better throttle response. There is certainly some power to be gained, but don't expect more than maybe 5hp TOPS for ANY of the intakes on the market.

I'm going with the HAI only because of its simplicity and because it eliminates the snaky intake ducting. It's also much cheaper.

I think you'll find that folks with the HAI also like it, and the filter is about $35 shipped.

Marty

Old 10-01-2004, 11:00 AM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
How difficult is installation on the Mini? (I'm a girl, had to ask)

Old 10-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BMP I used to have on was about a 10 minute install if you have a torx screwdriver. Much longer without.

The hot air intake that I have on now was about 15 minutes, mostly working out how to remove all the pipes without damaging them, so I can return to stock if necessary.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
Most of them are pretty easy. Just remove top of airbox and then you bolt in the partition and attach the intake to the partition and the intake hose to the partition (you'll see what I mean if you take a look at the airbox).

The ALTA is more complicated because you end up removing the cowl piece behind the airbox, which isn't that tough, just more time-consuming. The nice thing about the ALTA is that you get a three-sided box that encloses the filter, whereas the Pilo and others like it leave a small gap between the partition and the ECU box.

The hot-air intake is VERY easy - you remove the airbox top, the hose running to the airbox, and the snorkel that ducts fresh air into the airbox and just clamp the filter DIRECTLY to the throttle body (though you have to either use a breather filter or route the breather to the HAI using a hose and nipple - did I just say "nipple"? Don't worry, I have two of them as well.).

For a better idea with pics check out www.thepilo.com and look at the how-to for the intake installation. takes about 10-15 minutes with hand tools (you need torx-head screwdrives or sockets).

Hey, I even have to ask sometimes, and I'm a boy.

Marty

Old 10-01-2004, 11:50 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
I have the Alta with optional intake tube and like it alot. If you can wait, M7 is coming out with something totally different than all excisting intakes. I have not seen it yet, but hear it's going to be well worth the wait. They should be available in a couple weeks. Last time I heard that from them, they came thru.

Everyone has pretty much the same stuff on their MINIs, this should change that. good luck!

Old 10-01-2004, 11:58 AM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the great input, so looks like everyone is pretty much said on the Alta. Any good links?

Old 10-01-2004, 12:42 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
See all the intakes mentioned above plus offerings from others:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f..._faq_intakes_s

Old 10-01-2004, 01:28 PM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
One more thing....after adding intake I will be moved out of G-Stock? Into what?

Old 10-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Cold Air Intakes

Don't forget this one

http://www.mini-works.com/engine.html#COLDAIR

Larger filter than the others for more area and less loss.

When I dyno'd my car last week with the stock filter and with
the box open and no filter, I decided to save my "mod points" for something more useful.

I don't know how SCCA works but the group I run in moves you out of stock if you have more than 2 points. An air intake is 1 point, and a Cat back is one point. Which is why they allow 2 points.

Some of the chassis mods that might be more useful are 2 points. Tire size changes are a point. So for the MINOR difference the filter made, I put it back in the car.

John

Old 10-01-2004, 04:14 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Originally Posted by myminicoopah
One more thing....after adding intake I will be moved out of G-Stock? Into what?
SCCA- Intake will move an "S" into DSP, or STX if you only run street tires.
Tough to do well in either class with just an intake. Not really fair. You can
add cat-back and stay stock, but not intake.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
This topic is now officially beaten to death

To date: ALTA, Pilo, or RDR are the picks. ...then there's "the rest"...

Old 10-01-2004, 07:47 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by myminicoopah
I've received some feedback on different intakes, but I would really like some advice from the mini forum. I have a Cooper S.
Do understand that aftermarket intakes are louder, especially the Alta. I have the complete Alta setup and really love it, but it IS loud when accelerating. The wine of the blower is quite prevalent. This can be dowsed if you replace the foam Alta filter with one like the K&N.

Do it though, it makes driving that much more fun. Highway cruising is still quiet.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:13 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Do understand that aftermarket intakes are louder, especially the Alta. I have the complete Alta setup and really love it, but it IS loud when accelerating. The wine of the blower is quite prevalent. This can be dowsed if you replace the foam Alta filter with one like the K&N.

Do it though, it makes driving that much more fun. Highway cruising is still quiet.
The K&N filter doesn't flow as well as the Alta so, by by doing this it reduces the effectiveness of the Alta package

Old 10-02-2004, 07:48 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
This topic is now officially beaten to death

To date: ALTA, Pilo, or RDR are the picks. ...then there's "the rest"...
Though beaten , don't forget the HAI...

Old 10-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
lol, yea Bisch, the HAI for the DIY crowd

Funny S&M emoticon!

Old 10-03-2004, 03:09 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
i am a big fan of most of the intake out there. Mini madness has a good one. alta performance a nice one. pro mini intake is retarded, dont understand them and so on. any thing that is proven to give a boost of power is good. mini madness's intake was dyno'ed at 9.4 HP increase to the wheels on every mini cooper s they have done, if i remember right. just a heads up.

chris

Old 10-03-2004, 05:51 PM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
Thanks for all of your feedback, everyone has been MOST helpful.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:53 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by d6-mcs
i am a big fan of most of the intake out there. Mini madness has a good one. alta performance a nice one. pro mini intake is retarded, dont understand them and so on. any thing that is proven to give a boost of power is good. mini madness's intake was dyno'ed at 9.4 HP increase to the wheels on every mini cooper s they have done, if i remember right. just a heads up.

chris
lol... from what I have seen of dyno numbers... adding a sunroof on the right dyno could give your 9.4 HP.....

Old 10-03-2004, 06:15 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
I installed an Alta CAI on my "S" (easy directions from Randy's site) and apart from the added horsepower (whatever that may be) I like the fact that the car "breathes" easier. The OEM intake seems asthmatic in the high RPM range. With the ALTA the car just seems to enjoy running (just my $0.02).

Old 10-03-2004, 09:00 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
for the S, the k&N typhoon, madness both are relatively good as well comparable to alta, pilo and rdr... i dont believe there'd be a recognizable difference between each intake, it's dependent on personal taste on sound.. alta IS loud, i have it and i couldn't ask for more,

there's the pipecross, which i've heard so little about it's strange.... m7 is suppose to come out with a new one as well (purely rumors from others on nam, so take it your way)

overall, choose one that's suitable to your taste, you pay 199 for alta, you can probably get similar numbers with rdr's at same price, or pilos at less... or k&n for more...

i do advise against the inlet hose though, it's more useable for cars with a bored tb, im hoping to get the carbon fiber downpipe from bfp once they have it and will post if it fits (they tell me it fits anyways!)

Old 10-03-2004, 09:05 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by kyriian
for the S, the k&N typhoon, madness both are relatively good as well comparable to alta, pilo and rdr... i dont believe there'd be a recognizable difference between each intake, it's dependent on personal taste on sound.. alta IS loud, i have it and i couldn't ask for more,

there's the pipecross, which i've heard so little about it's strange.... m7 is suppose to come out with a new one as well (purely rumors from others on nam, so take it your way)

overall, choose one that's suitable to your taste, you pay 199 for alta, you can probably get similar numbers with rdr's at same price, or pilos at less... or k&n for more...

i do advise against the inlet hose though, it's more useable for cars with a bored tb, im hoping to get the carbon fiber downpipe from bfp once they have it and will post if it fits (they tell me it fits anyways!)
M7 is not just a rumor... it is nearly done... I should have mine in 2weeks.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:12 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by apexer
The K&N filter doesn't flow as well as the Alta so, by by doing this it reduces the effectiveness of the Alta package
Yeah, but the cotton gauze K&N filters are infinitely better than the foam. The foam does not provide good filtration at all, as a matter of fact, when I took my foam Alta filter off after 3,000 miles to replace it with a K&N I shook it on top of a clean glass table and sand-sized particles dropped out of the filtered end Alta isn't the only bad foam filter either, the green HKS filters for other cars are made of the same stuff and suck at filtering as well. If you end up getting the Alta, my first piece of advice is to change that junk foam filter with a K&N or other cotton gauze equivalent, the sound might not be as "cool", but that should not be a priority when buying an intake anyway.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:47 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyriian

Not sure why you are advising against the Alta silicone inlet. If it's to save money then maybe I understand, but it is a benefit in performance over the stock one.

Now, as far as the M7 CF system goes, I'm wondering just how the CF intake pipe will work. CF is VERY ridged and it's being placed in an area that moves a LOT. I think I saw a photo of it where a flexible rubber hose was used to connect it to the Throttle body. Not sure that it's enough give with this small section of flexibility ...?

It certainly does look great I will say, I mean who doesn't love the look of CF.

Alta seems to have it together at this point in time for the best sealed off cold air intake box.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Intakes