Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Pinging on a 15% pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Pinging on a 15% pulley

Hi All,

I installed a 15% pulley on my car back in January. Immediately noticed I picked up some pinging from 3k rpm up, sometimes not even at full throttle. Using NGK BKR7EIX I got with the pulley kit.

I was able to confirm with some confidence that it is actual pinging and not imagination or something else as when I put high octane fuel (100) in it goes away.

Has anybody been able to clear this up by switching to say a Brisk DR12s or Sea Foam? I have a meth kit sitting around I want to install but that is a ways away. I do plan to do a tune in the future as well, but need to get my exhaust sorted first as well and that is also a ways out.

Open to other suggestions as to how to resolve this.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 AM
RussWK
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ﹰyou ﹰneed custom tune that will retard timing 4 degrees. ﹰﹰpulley increases effective compression which causes detonation.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:14 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
no you dont need a custom tune, when you installed the pulley did you also install the colder plugs?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 AM
RussWK
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK Do Whatever and your engine will still be Knocking even - if you don't hear it, I believe the computers more than I would believe opinion . Only the custom Tuner will know for sure. Everything else is Conjecture.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, I know how boost works. Everyone seems to bill this as a no mess mod... Ignition timing retard would be easy, I haven't gotten a WINOLS setup running yet to do the mapping.

Anyway yes I did install colder plugs.

I actually was able to score an HFS5 meth kit for a good deal. So now I get the benefit of extra octane and cooling the ridiculous IATs that come with pulley.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:40 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
You have six chevrons on your sleeve but the first thing that came to my mind was whether the crank pulley is undersized. What type of boost you pushing as most don't get the pinging after the pulley change over.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:56 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
First, you should not need a custom tune to retard timing for a 15% pulley on our cars.
The ECU has built in adaptation protocols, and timing is one of those, these protocols are why we can do many of the mods that we can, without a retune, and the timing protocol can pull as much as 8° if the ECU feels that it needs it.

And you are correct, normally there are no problems with a 15% pulley, esp done as a kit with plugs.
You might want to try an ECU reset.
See here:www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums

Then drive a couple of days to let new adaptations set in.

While there's no guarantee, it almost sounds like a previous adaptation is "stuck" (for lack of a better term) and the ECU isn't re-adapting properly.

Worth a try anyway....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 05-24-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:25 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I would first ditch the iridium plugs as we have more problems than good come from them.
Also check wires and coil.
compression?
Leakdown?

A tune is not the answer as there is something physically wrong if you're getting ping. It may actually be worse than you think as the ECU will retard timing all on it's own. So if you are hearing it, likely the ECU is already pulling timing.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I would first ditch the iridium plugs as we have more problems than good come from them.
Also check wires and coil.
compression?
Leakdown?

A tune is not the answer as there is something physically wrong if you're getting ping. It may actually be worse than you think as the ECU will retard timing all on it's own. So if you are hearing it, likely the ECU is already pulling timing.
This was my thought as well, and why I suggested the simple reset, if it was still pinging after, there's got to be something else going on.