Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BBK with rota sb wheels need spacer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
BBK with rota sb wheels need spacer

Well ordered my BBK kit from TCE . Went with the 12.2 dynapro 4 piston setup because everyone said it would fit 16" wheels, and since I got 17" I was easy peasy . Wrong, I had no idea how fat the caliper was, and my luck , the wheels just nick the pad holder by maybe 0.5mm . Hind sight I should have seen the 6 piston is like 10mm narrower.

Anyway I ordered some 3mm spacers which should give me 2mm clearance.

I have ordered some 30mm lugs but I'm sure my stock 27mm should be ok.

From my research it seems the 4 piston is rated more for track than the 6 piston , I guess because how beefy the 4 is, so please tell me that it's better to have a 4 piston and I did not just make a mistake. I'd like the know the 4 piston caliper is worth the effort to make them clear.

It's too late to change now as I would need all new parts to go 6 piston.

I have never run spacers, I order concentric 3mm and 5mm just incase. I assume there won't be any weakness to the wheels running 3mm spacers ? Besides the lug length. And will 3 or 5mm be enough to mess up camber ?

Old 03-10-2017, 09:02 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
You'll be fine with the spacers. 5mm is child's play. Stock lug bolts are good for up to 5mm anything thicker and you'll need longer bolts. Concentric is the way to go.

FWIW, I have 15mm on the front and 17.5 on the back with no issues.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:29 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I should have just gone with 13" kit and 6 pot and would have been fine without spacers. Just posting for others to learn.

I just assumed that people were using 12.2 kits on 16" wheels my 17" wheels would clear calipers easily.

but spacers that just make calipers clear should make brakes seem larger.