Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Guys HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 04:59 PM
Jochim
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just purchased a MCS because I love anything that has been developed by Bavarian Motor Works. I'm in a car club and I have been competing in street races and such, driving other cars. Here's my problem-- I wanna be able to compete with my MINI S but I can't find any damn hardcore performance parts! :evil: I need to be able to run 12's (quarter mile) and have a 0-60 time of high 5 and low 6. This was a piece of cake achieving this with a 1.8 GTI, so don't tell me it can't be done with a MCS. I've looked and looked and can't find anything that can satisfy me. Hamann has a kit, but in my opinion a .5 second 0-60 increase SUCKS. I wanna beat all those whiny VTEC's and Focuses. I beat a 911 with my previous GTI. So can someone pleassssse help in any way. Thanks much guys.

Old 11-15-2002, 08:48 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you could get in the low 6's with a combination of a good limited slip and a set of light 15" wheels and some 205/50/15 Falken Azenis tires. I don't think the Azenis are up to BFG's street drag radials but they do deliver power better than any other tire I've used and I'm talking wheels under 10 lbs. Hell, how about some 3.58kg (7.876 lbs) 15x6 +45 Racing Hart CP-035's. Then you can do the power mods like the Super Sprint headers w/racing cat. I think I'd leave off their mufflers and use a single Supertrap and have the whole thing dyno tuned with chip and intake. You could get the headers ceramaic coated inside and out as well. Then there will be after market Supercharger pulleys as well. You could also get a battery that weighed less than half the one that came with the car. You could even pre-load the front sway bar to apply more down force on the wheel that slips. Speed costs. How fast do you want to go? You are serious aren't you?

Old 11-16-2002, 04:05 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Between all the MINI tuners out there, I think there would be enough available now to get into the low 6's or even somewhere in the 5's for the 0-60. Lightening up most or all rotating parts is always good for some wicked go-fast power. Think there's a lightweight flywheel out there someplace, as well as a clutch. I think it was tirerack that had some 11.5LB competition wheels.
The MINI's are still relatively new to the scene. So you can't really compare the aftermarket parts availability to that the the GTi which has been out for sometime now. Things are in the works my friend. It'll all come in time.
How many MINI tuner sites have you looked through? I can think of about 10 right now that would have enough parts to supply that kind of power and times. I'm guessing to be in the 0-60 sec time somewhere in the 5's, you'd need about 210-220ish HP.(?)
JCW is due to have their kit out for the MCS sometime early in the new year. That could be a start, and then adding to that.
Cheers,

Old 11-16-2002, 06:54 AM
Jochim
Neutral
Hey guys thanks alot for the intel. I am very serious and I have about 5 grand to play with. I do understand that the cooper is a new auto. I guess I will have to be patient and I'll have to put JCW on my christmas list. If anything else comes to mind, I'll ask.

Old 11-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I also have a VW GTI 1.8t, Lets see your timeslip from the racetrack for your 12 second run. What "piece of cake" mods got you to that kind of 1/4 mile time? If you were running those kinds of times, what was your screen name at VWVortex, as I am sure that you would be one of a handful of the most famous fastest GTI's around and I would be guaranteed to recognize you instantly.

I have done a LOT of mods to my GTI, but without an APR Stage III kit ($4000), limited slip differential ($1000+), exhaust, suspension, tires, wheels, brakes (another several grand), achieving anything in the 12 second range is no "piece of cake".

The fastest GTI I have seen is APR's that did 12.6 1/4 mile times and can be seen at http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/pics_video_tvs3.html#

I really want to see your timeslips to prove that you have achieved even better than that. Anybody who really has done this should have a home page with an image of the timeslip as well as a pic of your car on the track with the scoreboard illuminated with your 1/4 mile time.

If you bought this car to race hondas at stoplights and get good 1/4 mile numbers, then I am sorry to say that you bought the wrong car. The MINI advantage is that it is able to come out of a tight turn on a closed road track at a higher speed than any of the hondas and focuses that you consider to be your prey at the stoplights.

Drag racing at stoplights against the honda boy racers is a silly game for children. Real racers take it to the track and typically drive on the streets like little old ladies because they know that the streets are a dangerous place compared to a race-track.

You also need to realize that this is a BRAND NEW CAR that has never existed in this country before 6 months ago. It takes time for the aftermarket to develop quality kits, but had you gotten the regular MC instead of the MCS, there is already an available turbo kit for 200hp that is probably more than this little car might ever need.

Save your $5000 because it is highly likely that BMW/MINI will put out there own factory warranteed high performance upgrades within a year or 2. Give me a Dinan 200hp kit that retains my factory warranty and I will put my $5K down in a minute.

Even if I have that kit, you are going to win a stoplight race because I am going to just laugh and laugh as you zoom away.

Old 11-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
I've been trying to keep up with the MCS performance options, and here's what i've got. http://www.tjhsst.edu/~btonnese/ Most of the companies will release the info in the December-January timeframe, so most of the info isn't quite available yet. If you *do* have any other info, let me know, please!

Old 11-16-2002, 07:33 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
I've been trying to keep up with the MCS performance options, and here's what i've got. http://www.tjhsst.edu/~btonnese/ Most of the companies will release the info in the December-January timeframe, so most of the info isn't quite available yet. If you *do* have any other info, let me know, please!
Very cool Grinder. Keep it up & I'll check back when it's time to have some fun with Coop.

Jeff

Old 11-17-2002, 07:17 AM
Jochim
Neutral
Hey yucca, My best time never beat 12.6. I might have exaggerated a little because my best time was 12.8. I had an ATP stage IV kit on my GTi. I also had NOS as a backup but rarely used it(I don't like NOS). I agree with you 110% about racing at lights. I don't look to race some VTEC every time I stop at a light. They look to race me, and I can't pass up an opportunity to humiliate them. In my club, I'm am the main street driver for traffic racing. That is exactly why I love tuning German autos because they have unsurpassed handling and weight distribution. Quarter miles aren't as important as 0-60 times for me, because the most important things for traffic racing is 0-60 time and handling. I had a screenname on VWvortex and it was sfinks, but this idiot named sheerkan got my account canceled because I was promoting a new product and he told vwvortex that i was spamming. I got pissed with vortex and am boycotting them. it was very complicated. I hope I answered your questions yucca. Keep it real.

Old 11-17-2002, 07:33 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, with that stage IV kit and NITROUS then sub 13 1/4 miles might really be that "piece of cake" you talked about. Since it was your first post, I know I was a little harsh, but it was your first post here and tuning a VW 1.8t is a subject I simply know way too much about. With a little bottle of Nitrous, almost anything is possible, but a 1.8t plus just a little too much Nitrous = BOOM! Engine go bye-bye

The VW/Audi 1.8L turbo is one incredible engine, often described as a tuner's wet dream, but I can assure you that the MINI is going to be the little darling of the aftermarket industry for several years to come.

Just be patient and try to hold off on buying the first 200hp kit that gets cobbled together for our MCS's. I would be so disappointed if I spent $5000 on a mediocore kit only to find that a factory kit will come out shortly that will be superior.

I just got so burned trying to make my GTI into what this MINI is right from the beginning, that my temper flared a bit when I initially read your post.

Maybe you have read my other posts, but I will say again that when I returned the MCS to the dealer after my un-chaperoned test drive, I realized that I had never gotten beyond third gear since the car simply BEGS to be turned and not driven in a straight line. I don't regret never seeing 6th gear, as I will have my own 6th gear in a week or 2!

Happy Motoring. . . .

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."