Drivetrain Burger Tune affordable logging

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:47 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Burger Tune affordable logging

for those that are familiar with the burger tune kit, it's always a "work in progress".
Terry can only help us improve it if we send our logs as that allows him to tweak/adjust the tune for better performance. there are currently 3 ways to log data (mentioning as some may not know)

- connect serial/usb cable to laptop and run JB4 applications on windows -
while it works, it sucks to have a laptop in the car to collect the logs

- purchase JB4 Connect kit and JB4 Mobile - allows your phone to connect to tune via bluetooth.

while it also works, i am personally bothered that i have to drop $150 for the bluetooth adapter. on top of that, the app is $28. also a bit pricey.

- run usb/serial cable into car and use OTG cable to plug directly into android phone/tablet. - this is the winner for me at the moment. i did have to purchase the jB4 Mobile app @ $28 but the OTG adapter cost me a whopping $4 on amazon.

you need to make sure your phone supports OTG (any app will tell you this). i plugged it into my Nexus 5x. it connected and was already spitting out data. it's also configured to automatically LOG once you go WOT. great thing is i've already put a few logs together and sent them to terry.

i'm running a JB4 right now but this is the same for the Stage 1 as it's the same serial cable.

as for running the cable, i ghetto-ran it temporarily but it seems to be working great. i was able to run it inside my fender and into the car. yes, it does get somewhat pinched when i close the door, but it's very minimal and i'm not concerned. from there, i ran it behind my lower dash and it stays right next to my cravenspeed phone mount.

pictures below. Tip: i noticed that i had to plug the OTG cable to the phone FIRST and then plug the end of the OTG cable to the usb/serial. at that point, android displays a pop-up asking for permission to use the cable. if you plug the OTG cable to the usb/serial first and THEN to the phone, that prompt never pops up. the app won't work as it won't be able to locate the serial link.

hope this helps some of you who were also fighting the need to purchase the bluetooth adapter.

Last edited by MarcoPolo; 01-15-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks Marco

Old 01-28-2016, 04:14 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks Marco for the write up!

Absolutely love the JB4 plus the JB4 Mobile App. Been running it for a month without any problems so far.

Some screenshots from my iPhone6 Plus:

Old 03-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have any of you started adjusting the user settings on the JB4? Just curious if anyone has seen any gains or change in reliability.

Originally Posted by BadakVT
Thanks Marco for the write up!

Absolutely love the JB4 plus the JB4 Mobile App. Been running it for a month without any problems so far.

Some screenshots from my iPhone6 Plus:

Old 05-27-2016, 12:17 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dbartondpt
Have any of you started adjusting the user settings on the JB4? Just curious if anyone has seen any gains or change in reliability.
the only adjustment was when Terry had me increase my boost failsafe from 18psi to 20psi. i came from a Stage1 Beta, where the failsafe was 18. he felt i could increase it.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:45 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Marco. Was thinking of you today at the same time I was thinking that the $140 for the BM Burger BT adapter is kinda pricey.
You should be able to make something for a fraction of that cost. First off you need a Bluetooth transmitter (slave) that will plug into the serial port or USB cable. Then you need to power that device. My "box" is on top of the battery so this part will not be a problem for me. Check these:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...096969545.html
This one is powered by the USB or serial cable but you have to buy 5.

http://handheldsci.com/kb
This one could go inside the car or under the hood. Unless others are interested I think I'll get this one $45 including shipping.

Let me know your thoughts on this idea!

Old 07-02-2016, 07:16 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Marco. Was thinking of you today at the same time I was thinking that the $140 for the BM Burger BT adapter is kinda pricey.
You should be able to make something for a fraction of that cost. First off you need a Bluetooth transmitter (slave) that will plug into the serial port or USB cable. Then you need to power that device. My "box" is on top of the battery so this part will not be a problem for me. Check these:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...096969545.html
This one is powered by the USB or serial cable but you have to buy 5.

http://handheldsci.com/kb
This one could go inside the car or under the hood. Unless others are interested I think I'll get this one $45 including shipping.

Let me know your thoughts on this idea!
to be honest man, with the stats i'm trying to collect, i'm not even using the JB4 logger. i'm looking to collect the following:
- ambient
- IAT
- oil temp
- water temp
- rpm
- speed
- boost

i cant' pull ambient, oil, or water from the jb4. to add, i need a track-specific app, which reads from the obd2 port. i ran last weekend on the track with the obdlink lx and did not have any jb4 issues. if you get this working, great, but i'm not pressing on "needing" it.

the 2nd one looks pretty interesting. i'm intrigued if you can get it to work