Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Recommedations for short throw shifter and shifter knobs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:00 AM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommedations for short throw shifter and shifter *****

I'm looking for a near as stock size or shorter short throw shifter and also what shift ***** are the best?

Also, highly interested in the Whalen Shift Machine *****....either the ball or tall.

Any other recommendations?

Last edited by Rrotz; 04-23-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:31 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the JCW carbon fiber &a leather version of that shift **** and the Helix short shift adapter. I'm real happy with both. The Helix leaves the shift rod at the same height. Some people like a true shorter shift rod. I like where mine sits from the factory, it is a comfortable height. Whalen's shift ***** seem to be well liked due to the build quality and added weight. I think the weight would come in handy if you went with a shorter shift rod.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:04 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Believe it or not, I like the Helix shifter kit . Also check out the Whalen shift machine. He does really nice work.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
I recommend not using a short-shifter at all.

If the goal is to "shift faster", well, the fact is your syncros determine how fast gears can actually change or engage. Rushing it by tugging harder on a shorter shaft (that sounded dirty...) isn't of much value. Also, any "short shift" kit that doesn't actually change the lever's fulcrum point is merely "shorter" in height, not throw.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:16 AM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
Any recommended for a true short shift kit?

Old 04-16-2015, 10:05 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
I would replace worn OEM parts and add a Whalen before anything else.

I think Cravenspeed and Helix both raise the fulcrum point, which is fine. I've found that when combined with a cable shift mechanism like the R53, too much change in the fulcrum can make for an odd feeling shift. More gummy than satisfyingly 'notchy'.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want a really notchy feel look into the TyrolSport Short shift kit: HERE

This kit actually attaches to the top of the transmission where the cables connect. It has a very notchy feel and adjustable range of reduction. 10% reduction or 40%. I was able to feel this on a NAM members car on a local Motoring event. It felt much nicer than my NM short shifter (same idea as Helix and Craven).

Old 04-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Oh and I have the JCW Leather/Carbon Fiber shifter. I love it, I did NOT like the stock shift ****. Especially coming from the R53 **** that was very erganomic.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:20 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
CAE Ultrashifter......

Old 04-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
^$$$$$

Old 04-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Gremothra
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the JCW shifter **** mentioned above for about a year, but replaced it with the M7 Carbon Fiber one a few months back and couldn't be happier. I find the M7 feels better in my hand and will not be going back to the JCW.

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice.

http://www.m7tuning.com/m7-carbon-fiber-shift-****.html

Here are a couple YouTube videos I did of the M7 ****.

Unboxing -
Install -

Grem....

Old 04-16-2015, 09:08 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I have the Craven Shifter in my car and the Whalen **** custom engraved.

I've used them all but like that its adjustable. Even without adjusting it short the feel much more precise and crisp but not too much effort.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-17-2015, 04:34 AM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
I ended up getting the minimania short shifter and I'm planning on getting the Whalen ball or tall shifter and steel E-brake.

How does the minimania short shifter compare? It looks the same as the Cravenshift and other similar styles. They all do the same thing, right?

Last edited by Rrotz; 04-17-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:45 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I can't comment on SS, but Whalen shift ***** are great. Solid, stainless steel, and he goes BEAUTIFUL engraving. I also have his e-brake handle. Very nice interior upgrades.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rrotz
I ended up getting the minimania short shifter and I'm planning on getting the Whalen ball or tall shifter and steel E-brake.

How does the minimania short shifter compare? It looks the same as the Cravenshift and other similar styles. They all do the same thing, right?

It looks like you already bought it, but I'd stay away from those types of "short shifters". I had one installed 3 or 4 years ago. Hacked up the lower cover plate, bent the cable end rods to make it fit. Basically destroyed my car to get the stupid thing to fit and in the end it fell off the bottom of my shift lever while driving leaving my car stuck in 4th gear. Had to have it towed about 20 miles back to my house, jacked up the car, took the stupid thing off, bent the cables back and have left it stock ever since. I'd either leave it stock or if you really have to have a short shifter go with one that replaces the entire assembly if nothing more than for piece of mind.

And yes I put locktite on the set screws when I installed it. Just too much effort for something that isn't permanent.

Just my opinion,
Steve

Old 04-23-2015, 01:10 AM
Gremothra
1st Gear
I was originally going to go with one of the simple short shift adapters, as mentioned above, but was dissuaded by Mini mechanic as he'd done a couple before with negative results.

As I have an 03, I have limited options, but ended up going with the the short shift from http://www.outmotoring.com/02-03-min...shift-kit.html and am 100% satisfied.

It is still notchy and solid, but nowhere near as obtrusive as the Hurst shifter on my Shelby GT500.

Grem...

Old 04-23-2015, 05:52 AM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Vernon29RW
It looks like you already bought it, but I'd stay away from those types of "short shifters". I had one installed 3 or 4 years ago. Hacked up the lower cover plate, bent the cable end rods to make it fit. Basically destroyed my car to get the stupid thing to fit and in the end it fell off the bottom of my shift lever while driving leaving my car stuck in 4th gear. Had to have it towed about 20 miles back to my house, jacked up the car, took the stupid thing off, bent the cables back and have left it stock ever since. I'd either leave it stock or if you really have to have a short shifter go with one that replaces the entire assembly if nothing more than for piece of mind.

And yes I put locktite on the set screws when I installed it. Just too much effort for something that isn't permanent.

Just my opinion,
Steve
That happened because you didnt replace the cover plate with a new one, or modify the existing one enough, for the new clearance. many others have used a short shifter like this, with a new cover plate, and have had no problems

Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
I'll return the short lever if it's not ideal. My stock shifter is very hard, even for me...no satisfaction in a sports car. Yes, it's tight and a close gear ratio but no crispness.

What I want from a shift is a lower shifter, shorter throw and a crisp click and less effort getting into reverse and retains the original look with the gaiter.

I do need to sort out the new, used, OEM woes first but I want to gather the big effort parts like a JCW tuning and exhaust kit from minigenuineparts.co.uk to do all the big work at the same time as the necessary clutch job.

Along with the clutch job, I want to get the Alta 15% pulley, short shifter, nology plug and ignition kit and the JCW exhaust system in at the same time. Then, I can gather the JCW tuning kit pieces for a second effort...the GP intercooler kit and airbox.

So, back to the short throw shifter...which kit fits my needs? shorter in height with a "Tall" Whalen Shifter, shorter throws and less resistance.

Last edited by Rrotz; 04-23-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:47 AM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cannovmj
That happened because you didnt replace the cover plate with a new one, or modify the existing one enough, for the new clearance. many others have used a short shifter like this, with a new cover plate, and have had no problems
What cover plate do I need for the short shifter? IS that for the bottom or for the top and can I use the original gaiter?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
Gang, tell me about the Craven Speed Adjustable Short Throw Shifter. Does anyone have one and does it adjust down to the optimum amount of throw without being mushy or slip?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
"Optimum" is certainly subjective. I've never taken my R53 for a spirited drive and thought to myself "Gee, that's a long row, and I'd like to spend $150 to change it by an inch..." I'm the anti-short shifter, but others seem to like it well enough.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
I have a Greene Performance short shifter and love it.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wellzy
I have a Greene Performance short shifter and love it.
I googled the Greene Performance but didn't find anything. I went with the Craven Speed adjustable short shifter and well cover. The car will be in the shop in July to have the clutch, CAI, pulley, exhaust and shifter installed all in one go. Can't wait' she's going to be a beast when she's done!

Old 05-17-2015, 07:28 PM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
Check out CAE… It's much taller and has a very short throw.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:58 AM
phsingl
1st Gear
CAE or nothing...

Name:  b88c94e3-f608-4602-8d59-3d8a36cf361a_zpsdjquyjmi.jpg
Views: 7023
Size:  585.9 KB

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Recommedations for short throw shifter and shifter knobs