Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain NEVER put on AEM Turbo Heatshield, EVER

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:31 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
1 installing that heat shield will trap the heat there and do a lot a damage as you have shown 2 without that heat shield the plastic ducting for your fantastic CAI will melt. 1+2=FAIL, so much for your best designed CAI/ram air intake what ever you want to call it.
The way you word it almost seems like your you take offense when I say it's still the best cai. Minus the shield I'd still run this with no regret. Relax guy

Old 02-01-2014, 06:03 AM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using my NM heatshield for almost a year and a half. It has been doing exactly what it was designed to do and that is to help dissipate heat that is generated from the turbo. I have had no issues with it whatsoever. My MINI does has a factory heatshield as well.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:14 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It's not uncommon to find aftermarket "performance" parts that work just fine on the street but fail to deliver under harsher conditions like a track. That doesn't really make them bad parts. It just means you're using the parts outside their intended purpose. Just like parts designed for the track don't work well for street use. Spherical bearings anybody? Just because something was put out by a reputable company doesn't mean it works great under all conditions. Many times there are flaws in the product that are there either from poor design or cost cutting measures. You have to look at everything you put on your car with a critical engineering eye. If you have concerns post up on the forums about it so a discussion can be had. There are some fairly intelligent people on here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring

Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 AM
cactusjk
4th Gear
There is a lot of truth to that statement. I am sure that track driving was pushing the envelope...

Originally Posted by v10climber
It's not uncommon to find aftermarket "performance" parts that work just fine on the street but fail to deliver under harsher conditions like a track. That doesn't really make them bad parts. It just means you're using the parts outside their intended purpose. Just like parts designed for the track don't work well for street use. Spherical bearings anybody? Just because something was put out by a reputable company doesn't mean it works great under all conditions. Many times there are flaws in the product that are there either from poor design or cost cutting measures. You have to look at everything you put on your car with a critical engineering eye. If you have concerns post up on the forums about it so a discussion can be had. There are some fairly intelligent people on here.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:51 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So sorry to see this. This truly sucks-8ss. If it gives you any assurance, I ran my car religiously on the track for two years without a heat shield. Never any hood scoop melting issues. I think MINI revised the material they used in their hood scoops to stop the issue.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
First off, I've only been to the track TWICE while it's ever been installed and when I pull back into the pits I always open up the hood and leave it running to cool down before shutting her off. I'm sure tracking will push the envelope, but think about it, only twice, no way that was enough to melt the whole cover. Gotta stop blaming the trackdays and look at it beyond that.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:08 AM
cactusjk
4th Gear
If there is a way to set up a poll to see how many have experienced any heat shield problems that would help.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 AM
vistaracer
2nd Gear
I was thinking of buying a heat shield but I am somewhat of a fabricator and no- degree engineer. I decided to build my one. It took me about an hour. When I installed it, the first thing I thought of is where is all of the heat going to go when I shut of the engine. having it collect next to the plastic bits was concerning. I drilled some holes at back of the heat shield to let some of that hot air escape. They are further back from the scoop so it is still protected. I have not tracked the car but plan to this spring so I am now concerned that I may have to rethink the location or number of holes I have.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Its interesting, I just had my hood up (N18 engine).. and I realized the N14 design does not have the same "top" heat shield cover my N18 does.

This cover on the N18 covers the area in front of the cam cover, and the tops of the coils. I have no doubt this simple cover on an N14 might have prevented this. The N18 cover doubles as a thermoplastic heat shield.

N14

N18

Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
So sorry to see this. This truly sucks-8ss. If it gives you any assurance, I ran my car religiously on the track for two years without a heat shield. Never any hood scoop melting issues. I think MINI revised the material they used in their hood scoops to stop the issue.
We've also not seen any issues with the hood scoop with our 2010. No track days but lots and lots of auto-x runs where the car gets super toasty because you're running it hard then it sits in grid with no air running over the radiator. At a couple events the car was doing 20ish runs in a row.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 PM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
Like I said in my earlier post. I'm not worried about my M7 hood scoop, but I am a little concerned about the plastic ducting for the AEM that runs from the scoop to the rear of the engine compartment. I guess the WMW turbo wrap is an option, but I hate the price tag. If I go that route I guess I could still use the AEM heat shield just for looks.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
After 1st year of ownership and hood scoop warpage, I did get a new scoop and I've never seen any issues with it too, so yes their revision has been solid and I've had no complaints on it.

I'm going to call AEM on Monday and see what they have to say for themselves. I still need to buy the front valve cover for my wiring which is separate from the valve cover itself. Another $70-90 for this piece.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
The way you word it almost seems like your you take offense when I say it's still the best cai. Minus the shield I'd still run this with no regret. Relax guy
I'm cool man but rather toasted from the beach in 36° Celsius heat. I remember when that "ram air" ducted cai came out and not long after a guy posted on the line(can't remember which site) that the ducting from the scoop to the air box had warped from the heat and he was not a happy boy because that thing ain't cheap. Obviously they added the heat shield to stop this so when you contact AEM I'm guessing the'll tell you without their heat shield there's a strong possibility that the ducting will deform. When you actually think about it there's a crap load of heat there and trapping that heat can't be good, plastic combined with heat is a recipe for trouble. Anyone here had to change their plastic water pump thermostat housing or bonet scoop?.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:48 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ouch !!

Dammm , good thing you caught that before it really made a mess of your car...
Well i'm new to the mini but not turbo's . i have always ran a blanket and have been looking at them for my mini. The shields seam to just deflect the heat to the outsides of the shield, everything under it is going to get hot..

Yeah you can argue blanket vs shield.... everyone has one their thoughts

Glad to see it should be an easy fix just a pain in the a** to have to deal with it

Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
AEM e-mailed saying they would call me tomorrow.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:27 AM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
Wow that sucks. I have the AEM intake also, and the first thing I'm doing when I get home today is taking mine off to look at it!

I have a 2007, so even if they did change the hood scoop material, I'd still have the old one. I'm afraid of my scoop warping. It's already slightly different color.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Well, spoke to AEM and they are covering my costs and the repairs. Must say I was surprised they put me in a conference call with several techs and had to explained to them what happened.

Great guys. Happy to get this resolved.

The following users liked this post:
R56_saucee (09-18-2021)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow. Definately not the story I was expecting to hear! Surprised(pleasantly) They are covering it all! Did you have to put a little pressure on them? Easy going? Overly concerned? Let them know their response would spread like wildfire on the forum?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good for you. Yeah I'm surprised as well
Congrads

Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Wow. Definately not the story I was expecting to hear! Surprised(pleasantly) They are covering it all! Did you have to put a little pressure on them? Easy going? Overly concerned? Let them know their response would spread like wildfire on the forum?
I didn't put much pressure at all. I just called in yesterday asking for an update and within 20mins I got an email saying they would call me tomorrow (today). They were definitely easy to talk to and showed concern that of all the units they've sold, mine was the only unit reportedly having a valve cover melt as badly as it did.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Very standup and told me to keep in touch. They did not point fingers at me, and I explained to them that I recently had the turbo oil feed line recall and MINI would have told me anything had they noticed the valve melted when they performed their part of the service.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I suppose great news that there has only been 1(reported any way) unit with a problem so far. Buuuut not so good for the sucker(j/k) whose valve cover melted because of it.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:06 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
yup yup!

Old 02-04-2014, 04:28 PM
r0nd3L
1st Gear
Wow, definitely a stand up company. Props to AEM!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a great out come for you, good to hear you won't be out of pocket and hopefully not too long out of action

Quick Reply: Drivetrain NEVER put on AEM Turbo Heatshield, EVER