Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Liqui Moly vs AMSOIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 AM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liqui Moly vs AMSOIL

Has anybody used both of these oils in 5w40 ll-01? I like and have been using Liqui Moly but I'm tempted to try AMSOIL.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Exhaustdd
1st Gear
I can't speak to the Amsoil but I've been a regular user of LiquiMoly in German, turbo charged vehicles and I think its as good as any.

Is there a reason you're wanting to change it up?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Exhaustdd
I can't speak to the Amsoil but I've been a regular user of LiquiMoly in German, turbo charged vehicles and I think its as good as any.

Is there a reason you're wanting to change it up?
No real reason for me to change I had just recently heard a lot of praise over amsoil on another forum but none of those people where using liqui moly. And if for whatever reason I found out that amsoil was better id give it a shot but as of right now I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons so as of right now I'll stay with liqui moly unless I'm given a reason otherwise.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Lubro or Liqui Moly is a great oil, but just as a "heads-up", the 5w-30 flavor is not an actual full synthetic. It is however "synthetic technology", being a rebuilt hydrocrack mineral oil.

I'm not sure about the 5w-40 though.

http://blog.bavauto.com/12165/bmw-an...-30-synthetic/

Old 07-11-2013, 06:23 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
Lubro or Liqui Moly is a great oil, but just as a "heads-up", the 5w-30 flavor is not an actual full synthetic. It is however "synthetic technology", being a rebuilt hydrocrack mineral oil.

I'm not sure about the 5w-40 though.

http://blog.bavauto.com/12165/bmw-an...-30-synthetic/
Use Redline Oil which is 100% syn. with an Ester base stock. You won't need to add Moly.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 PM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by esfreerider
Has anybody used both of these oils in 5w40 ll-01? I like and have been using Liqui Moly but I'm tempted to try AMSOIL.
Well I tried amsoil and consuption is slightly lower but it is staying golden longer then the liquimoly so I'm suspecting possibly a lower detergent? Haven't had as many short trips tho

Old 07-22-2013, 01:49 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amsoil is well know in these parts and after seeing what it can do first hand.. Im a firm believer in it.. Not only is there engine oils good but a lot of there trans and gear oils are awesome.. While I cant speak for Liqui Moly Amsoil is second to none in my book...Of course everyone has there preferences..lol.. All I can say is give it a try!!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
Amsoil is well know in these parts and after seeing what it can do first hand.. Im a firm believer in it.. Not only is there engine oils good but a lot of there trans and gear oils are awesome.. While I cant speak for Liqui Moly Amsoil is second to none in my book...Of course everyone has there preferences..lol.. All I can say is give it a try!!
It's in the car now and I defiantly like it. Between amsoil and liquimoly whatever I get cheaper its what's going in

Old 07-23-2013, 03:57 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'Never heard of Liqui-Moly. Amsoil, on the other hand, is well known and considered to be the very best available. And Redline is right up there. I run Asmoil in my '06 JCW.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by martinb
'Never heard of Liqui-Moly. Amsoil, on the other hand, is well known and considered to be the very best available. And Redline is right up there. I run Asmoil in my '06 JCW.
Liqui moly is the number 1 brand in Germany.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM
LLZuB
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm using Liqui-Molly 10w60 race tech in my Mini...it's been great and hasn't consumed as much as the Castrol from the dealer I was using before. Not sure if i'll stick to the 10w60 next time or go back to 5w40...but my tech suggested using the 10w60 if I beat the crap out of it...which I do lol

Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
Sorry to bring back a older thread but i recetly had Liqui-molly brought to my attention by the local Mini shop i take my Mini to for maitance. They told me it was a great oil to use and recommend i switch to it. i'm wondering what version of liqui-molly should i use? the 5w30 or the 5w40?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:17 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
I'd run the 40, but in reality, either one will work just fine.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
i truly believe amsoil zrod 10w30 is the best option for the S - especially for the guys running 40wt for the extra "protection" - I wouldn't put additional strain on the motor like that unless you were tracking the car heavily - and even then I'd still run the ZROD - it's a little thicker than regular 30wt, but still not as thick as any 40wt, and the film strength and additives are MUCH better - especially for cars with forced induction. You can check the viscosity specs for yourself.

Amsoil's also one of the only 100% synthetic oils on the market ("fully" synthetic doesnt = 100% synthetic), very good oil in general. I run the ZROD in my evo, and run 0w30 in the base Cooper. If you're deciding between a 0, 5, 10 winter oil, always go with the lowest - ie 0. Ceteris paribus, it will always have better (lower) viscosity - that doesn't matter if you live in 0 degree temps, 40 degree temps, or 70 degree temps. At any temp under operating temp, oil doesn't flow enough to fully protect the engine - which is why 80-90% of engine wear is on cold start up. There are definitely a good number of top oils that will do the job.

I've got invoice pricing for anyone interested in Amsoil, I don't "charge" squat, just trying to provide a service for anyone interested.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
i truly believe amsoil zrod 10w30 is the best option for the S - especially for the guys running 40wt for the extra "protection" - I wouldn't put additional strain on the motor like that unless you were tracking the car heavily - and even then I'd still run the ZROD - it's a little thicker than regular 30wt, but still not as thick as any 40wt, and the film strength and additives are MUCH better - especially for cars with forced induction. You can check the viscosity specs for yourself.

Amsoil's also one of the only 100% synthetic oils on the market ("fully" synthetic doesnt = 100% synthetic), very good oil in general. I run the ZROD in my evo, and run 0w30 in the base Cooper. If you're deciding between a 0, 5, 10 winter oil, always go with the lowest - ie 0. Ceteris paribus, it will always have better (lower) viscosity - that doesn't matter if you live in 0 degree temps, 40 degree temps, or 70 degree temps. At any temp under operating temp, oil doesn't flow enough to fully protect the engine - which is why 80-90% of engine wear is on cold start up. There are definitely a good number of top oils that will do the job.

I've got invoice pricing for anyone interested in Amsoil, I don't "charge" squat, just trying to provide a service for anyone interested.

People are stuffing 20psi and ____ CFM into this tiny motor, and you're worried about 40 weight oil stressing the motor...? Stop it MINI actually recommends several 40 weight oils for their cars, out of the five or so officially recommended oils.

Regarding some "fully" synthetic oils not actually being full synthetic, we covered that about LubroMoly earlier in the thread, and you're right as rain. "German Castrol" is full synthetic, as oil manufactured in the EU can only be deemed "Full Synthetic" and use that nomenclature when the oil is in fact full synthetic. Anything made in the US (sans Amsoil and a few other botique oils) are restructured hydrocrack oils, with additives.

Last edited by TheBigChill; 10-25-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
People are stuffing 20psi and ____ cfm into this tiny motor, and you're worried about 40 weight oil stressing the motor... Stop it MINI actually recommends several 40 weight oils for their cars, out of the five or so officially recommended oils.
Straining is a poor word choice. It'll produce more heat, less power, and won't necessarily do anything in terms of protecting the motor. I'd much rather go with a "slightly thicker" 30wt oil with proper additives. I run about 24-25psi in the Evo, revving to around 7.5k rpms - nothing extreme, but I only run amsoil zrod 10w30 in that car

Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by esfreerider

I just read an in-depth test on motor oils and it turns out that Pennzoil ULTRA came out on top.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:20 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by apexer

I just read an in-depth test on motor oils and it turns out that Pennzoil ULTRA came out on top.

Link by any chance? I'd love to read that. I have been using Redline 5W-30 or 40 depending on time of year for a car that mainly is on the track, if there's something better, may be time to switch.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:25 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
+1 i'd like to read about that too. I'm interested to know if anyone knows what oil's sold in America are true 100% synthetic?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:25 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by cct1
Link by any chance? I'd love to read that. I have been using Redline 5W-30 or 40 depending on time of year for a car that mainly is on the track, if there's something better, may be time to switch.
Hmm...
Poster was from PA.....pen-oil....I might be onto something!!
Bet the test was in....pa?!
Lol...please post the link....
Funny....most test usually show pretty minor differences... Kinda like Coke vs Pepsi vs store brand "a"....
Some are more satisfying.... But how many folks have had a motor failure due to lube...other than lack of....

Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM
cct1
6th Gear
I just did some reading, the Ultra finished lower than both Amsoil and Redline, but I'm not sure how objective those tests were as it was Amsoil sponsored. Throwing out the Amsoil though, the Redline looked better than the Ultra. Maybe I'll switch to Amsoil, as it looks like I can get 100% synthetic Amsoil slightly cheaper than redline. Only thing is some of the Amsoils are blends, none of the Redlines are, so I've always gone with Redline just to avoid any confusion.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:14 PM
apexer
6th Gear

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/ This is the link. BTW I have been using Redline exclusively for 15 years (even in lawn mowers) and I'm going to switch. Love Redline but is a PIA to get. No one locally sells it so I have to order by the case.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:20 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
I just did some reading, the Ultra finished lower than both Amsoil and Redline, but I'm not sure how objective those tests were as it was Amsoil sponsored. Throwing out the Amsoil though, the Redline looked better than the Ultra. Maybe I'll switch to Amsoil, as it looks like I can get 100% synthetic Amsoil slightly cheaper than redline. Only thing is some of the Amsoils are blends, none of the Redlines are, so I've always gone with Redline just to avoid any confusion.
I've used redline always too until recently when it became much harder for me to find. i was wondering what article you that showed redline and amsoil finishing higher. i would be interested in reading that. i might have to switch back to Redline and just buy it online.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:20 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Redline has done bad things to evos so I tend to stay away.

Anyone running a 40wt oil for extra protection on the track, I seriously encourage you to give amsoil 10w30 zrod a shot. it's not a higher weight that protects the engine - more about film strength, additives etc. Even still, ZROD 10w30 runs slightly thicker than a typical 30wt oil.

Like I said, I'ev got an accoutn with amsoil, I don't charge anyone anything - same invoice price that I pay for mine

Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Apexer--wow, thanks for that--I did a quick read, it's impressive in scope, the fact that's it's directly related to track testing is timely, and when I get a chance, I'm going to look at more in depth, and try and get some confirmation on the tester--there is so much back and forth and hidden agendas with something that should be straightforward. If this all checks out, and it does look legit, it's probably the single most useful oil article I've read since I bought the MINI.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Liqui Moly vs AMSOIL