Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain mini melt down

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 09:24 AM
SuperiorSound
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok the saga is over, i have my mini back thanks to a lot of hard work by a lot of great people. the final out come is that by trying to add a remote starter a wire was grounged and this is what fried my computer. it ended up only affecting the main computer and nothing else, so no 12.000.00 dollar repair. the plasma booster had nothing to do with the problem, just owner error in adding the remote starter. i have since added the plasma booster back on and have experienced no problems. again thank you to all that helped with this problem.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Trippy
Banned
EXCELLENT news that you have your MINI back in action, and I'm glad you got all the help you needed.

How much did it cost you to replace the engine computer?

Old 04-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Trippy
Banned
Come on dude! Don't bail on us now.

We're super happy you have your MINI Flying again.

What did it cost you to replace the ECU so we can all learn from your choices?

It helps the entire MINI community when people tell their real-life stories.
(I suppose I could call my dealer adn ask them for the parts+labor cost for an ECU replacement)

Old 04-27-2004, 08:02 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The last I checked, a new ECU for an MCS runs about $1100 from MINI. I bought a used ECU from a recycler for $200 for use in a test bench. They included the BC1 as well at no charge.

I am not aware of any way to match a used ECU to a different vehicle from the one that it was originally matched to. Any of the EWS (Immobilizer) functions require the use a BMW GT1 scan tool (big bucks).

Old 04-27-2004, 08:11 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why start a new thread for this, and leave the other one hanging? I don't get it. I'd search for it and link to this thread, but I'm too lazy. I guess I'm not the only one.

Sometimes it seems like this forum is treated more like a chat room than the archived resource that it is.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Trippy
Banned
>>Why start a new thread for this, and leave the other one hanging? I don't get it.

I am going to GUESS that SuperiorSound (and possibly M7 and maxmini) didn't want all the anti-Plasma-Booster posts getting dragged to the top again.

I respected that and followed on with just the specific ECU cost question.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:17 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
>>>>Why start a new thread for this, and leave the other one hanging? I don't get it.
>>
>>I am going to GUESS that SuperiorSound (and possibly M7 and maxmini) didn't want all the anti-Plasma-Booster posts getting dragged to the top again.
>>
>>I respected that and followed on with just the specific ECU cost question.

Trippy thanks for taking time off from your investigation of the Kennedy
assination to check in.And thanks for the " respect " but you have been
consistently wrong on this entire deal and you still are. If anyone would want
this not to come up again it certainly would be you .? If you took the time to
notice the poster has only 10 posts to his credit perhaps he did not get your "
rules of the net " and just wanted to get the info out in the quickest manner
and that was a fresh post. To be honest it took me about 5 min to find the old
one myself. I am listing it again below which kind of shoots to hell your
theory that we didn't want the entire thread brought up again . The fact that
it had NOTHING to do with the Plasm Booster makes exactly WHO look bad? You
were so sure it had something to do with that and now that the actual reason
for the problem in the first place wasn't even in the same compartment in the
car as the plasma booster makes your convictions look a little silly doesn't
it? The fact that the car is running perfectly now with the Plasma Booster
installed would cause most people even net wizards like yourself to let the
matter drop but of course you will be wrong on that account as well. Trippy
stick with what you do best bud, PM ing Andy and designing shift *****.
( actually I like the shift **** )

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...c=23638&91

Old 04-27-2004, 11:27 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Here we go again.

Plasma Boosters are radioactive.

Trippy is really HAL from 2001.

Andy's graphs are drawn by his cat.

Blah blah blah.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Antranik
4th Gear
Hahahahaha, countrym you rock!

Old 04-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Trippy
Banned
After all those psuedo insults hurled at me from maxmini, I know who looks silly and it isn't me.

If you want to bring it ALL up again. I will stand by my theory that the plasma-Booster killed the ECU's outputs.

It makes absolutly no logical sense that a grounded wire somewhere under the dash caused the ECU's coil outputs to fail, but the Plasma-Booster that is actually CONENCTED to the very outputs that failed had nothing to do with them failing.

And how can you claim that the PB had nothing to do with the ECU failing? You make that statement like it's a fact or seomthing. It is not. It is YOUR OPINION just like my opinion is that the PB was 100% at fault.

I don't even know if the PB is really installed on this car do I?

I guess it's my opninion vs your opinion, but I have logic to back up mine.

1) Connect the PB to the ECU coil outputs.
2) ECU coil outputs fail.
3) PB did it.

Do you have a train of thought that can counter that one?

Old 04-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Actually, he says in the initial post here that his computer was 'fried'. Doesn't specifically say it was the coil outputs. Don't know much about electronics, but if something got grounded that wasn't supposed to be, especially something wired to the high volt starter...

In the original post he said: "dme burnt, body computer burnt ews unit burnt, mrs unit burnt,kombi instrument cluster burnt, ignition coils burnt"
But he doesn't say that here, so I guess the initial damage assessment was wrong?

If ONLY the ECU coil outputs failed (can an output fail?), then your logic is possible, though not definitive.

Not affiliated with the PB, etc. (and I think it's a goofy name.)

Old 04-27-2004, 05:26 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
>>After all those psuedo insults hurled at me from maxmini, I know who looks silly and it isn't me.
>>
>>If you want to bring it ALL up again. I will stand by my theory that the plasma-Booster killed the ECU's outputs.
>>
>>It makes absolutly no logical sense that a grounded wire somewhere under the dash caused the ECU's coil outputs to fail, but the Plasma-Booster that is actually CONENCTED to the very outputs that failed had nothing to do with them failing.
>>
>>And how can you claim that the PB had nothing to do with the ECU failing? You make that statement like it's a fact or seomthing. It is not. It is YOUR OPINION just like my opinion is that the PB was 100% at fault.
>>
>>I don't even know if the PB is really installed on this car do I?
>>
>>I guess it's my opninion vs your opinion, but I have logic to back up mine.
>>
>>1) Connect the PB to the ECU coil outputs.
>>2) ECU coil outputs fail.
>>3) PB did it.
>>
>>Do you have a train of thought that can counter that one?

Trippy you really are possessed LOL .
The owner of the car is telling you what happened and you are telling him he is wrong? The car is running fine and he has the plasma booster installed with no other issues but you still think it is the problem ? Why would he lie ? What is his motivation ??
I have a better way to put this that perhaps will help you understand how silly you appear .
If you were the owner of the car in question and IF the plasma booster had ANYTHING at all to do with causing you to have your car down for several weeks and cost you a good bit of money would you then put the item back on the car and even post online that there was no problem? What would your motivation be to A/ risk the problem again or B/ do anything at all to help the company that caused the problem in the first place. Trippy get some fresh air and think about this for a bit, you are making me worried . It is not my opinion that the PB had nothing to do with it. Its back on the car, the car is running fine those are facts not opinions. Of course maby we somehow got a hold of the car owners ip address and somehow posted in his name, ya that's it . Or even better we paid him to say that ya that's it no, no i got it we hired some guys to kidnap his kids and promised to do them harm if he said anything bad about the plasma booster.

As for logic you are trying to propose this then. He buys something, it ruins his car, he pays to get it fixed , puts item back on car , helps vender decieve the public.

You shouldn't drink alone !

Trippy you are really living up to your name you are a TRIP :smile:
Randy
Team M7

Old 04-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Trippy
Banned
Since you have a vested interest in the company that sold this product, I think people can judge for themselves.

And I think they can see that I don't call names and make fun of you in my posts.

I proposed a possible explanation, and you proposed no alternative theory.

Simple as that. It's not an argument at all. People can vote with their money.

I heard something in the neighborhood of $1200 to $1500 to replace the ECU and the PB automatically voids the waranty.

The MM act won't help you a bit in this fight.

Here's what could be done to restore my faith:

You have Peter at M7 write up a little note that is on the M7 webpage and included in the literature when a PB is sold saying that they will replace a failed ECU at no cost to the owner if a PB is installed at the time of the failure.

Simple as that.

When I see it on their website, I'll be convinced.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:25 PM
GstewMINI
2nd Gear
ha.

hey max why are you being insultive and attacking trippy, he didnt say anything about you.
just stated that he thought you guys moved the post because it was being negative towards one of the products. there is nothing wrong with that.

and if you want facts here you go:

a. we dont know superiorSound

b. we dont know he owns a mini

c. we dont know he has plasma booster

d. we dont know if he burnt his ecu

e. we dont know if its fixed

f. we dont know if the remote starter or the PB caused it.

all we do is take peoples words for it and we cant believe everything we read. thats the fact. please dont get mad when people question whats being posted.

those are my opinions i am not attacking or insulting you in anyway, hopefully you wont take it in the wrong way.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:59 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>and if you want facts here you go:
>>
>>a. we dont know superiorSound...........Do you really know Trippy???
>>
>>b. we dont know he owns a mini.........Plain silly why come onthe board
>>
>>c. we dont know he has plasma booster......My God we told you he does.
>>
>>d. we dont know if he burnt his ecu....Again we do, why is it so hard to beleive.
>>
>>e. we dont know if its fixed.......The customer told you so
>>
>>f. we dont know if the remote starter or the PB caused it......Yes we do

I think this post proves that all roads (Read Posts) lead to Plasma Booster, and everything that could go wrong
with the Mini is related to the Plasma Boosters (six degrees of separation).

Trippy you are determined to bad mouth, and come up with any conceiveable reason that the Plasma Booster
is guilty of the computer melt down. We tell you the truth and you still don't beleive it. The problem as I see it
is that no matter what kind of proof we have, you will always bad mouth the product.....

The reality is my customer called me after it happened,and asked me for help. I sent him in the right direction
to get it fixed....that's it...unfortunatly he asked you guy's on the board for help, and got nothing but grief.

Trippy you made such a mess out of the whole situation calling the dealer etc. alienating my customer
to the point that it's good your not living in his neighbour hood....trippy you push, push, prod and
all that will come out of it....is alianation of other members on this board who are scared of saying or asking
anything it's to bad....

And to answer your riddiculos warranty question: It's good you don't own your own business.

peter

Old 04-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Trippy
Banned
>>Trippy you made such a mess out of the whole situation calling the dealer etc.

I think you are accusing me of calling a dealer which I did not do. Call me names all day if you want, but I never called any dealers.

>> alienating my customer to the point that it's good your not living in his neighbour hood

Threats are never good business practice, or good practice on a message board such as this.

>>....trippy you push, push, prod and all that will come out of it....is alianation of other members on this board who are scared of saying or asking anything it's to bad....

I get plenty of PMs saying some people appreciate my questions, and I have promised to be clear in my approval and disaproval of products and explanations.

I think people can see that I have posted my THEORY of what happened, and they can read it and decide themselves.

I do not call people names or threaten them in posts like you.

>>And to answer your riddiculos warranty question: It's good you don't own your own business.

But I do.

Whenever you are ready to write up a note saying you will replace a failed ECU if a PB is attached when it fails and post it on your website and include it in your package, I'm ready to give you a complete apology.

If you are so sure the PB didn't cause the failure, why would you resist giving the customer that warranty?

You were a swell guy to talk to on the phone, but your backing this particular product has me baffled.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:33 PM
GstewMINI
2nd Gear
damn...

obviously you missed the WHOLE ENTIRE POINT of my post.

i really dont know! ive never met him, i have never seen his car. that hard for you to grasp, you believe everything, everyone tells you?

i dont know you, i dont own a plasma booster i didnt blame **** on it, yet you are accussing me of blaming the PB... are we being a little defensive!? haha

the point was we cant believe everything we read on the forum!
i wasnt blasting your ****, back off . im sure it works just fine and quit being defensive.

ALIENATED!? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? - not even going to respond to this, because you are belittling by saying this.

the more concerning thing is people believing everything vendors and dealers tell them and are ripped off, because they are afraid to question the products or service.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:33 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not threten you...did I. All I told you was what the customer felt....rightfully so.

Honestly Trippy.....you are a big pain in my side, and I get many calls from customers that have the same sentiment about you.

Don't fool your self thinking that you are soo liked on this board...your not.

I wish I could use stronger words about you but I will restrain my self, and I'm glad I'm not living in your neighbourhood.

peter

Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Now this is getting way out of hand gentlemen. If you don't believe the owner of the car there is no solving this . Trippy you are completely avoiding the question of the MOTIVE for the car owner to give the plasma booster a clean bill of health so to speak as well as post it on the board. Until you can come up with a reasonable reason for that you really don't have much to offer. You come up with a motive and we will begin to take you seriously again. You accuse me of making fun of you but its better than taking you seriously. I mean you really don't still think the PB had anything to do with this do you ? Are you that blinded by your closed mind?How can you possibly think that anyone in their rite mind would believe you over the owner of the car?Have a wonderful evening with your fellow pm pals and conspirators :smile: To paraphrase my good buddy Andy, " SHOW ME THE MOTIVE "

Old 04-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Antranik
4th Gear
Old 04-28-2004, 06:05 AM
Trippy
Banned
People have asked me to simply give my opinions of the situation and not get personal so I will not get into theories about the motivtion of the owner. i don't know the owner, and I don't think his or her motivation has much bearing on my theory.

My theory, and it is just a theory after reading only the information posted by the owner is that the Plasma Booster put a load on the ECU output transistors that they were not designed for, and they failed. This caused the coil pack to overheat and crack. There are some bits of information posted by the owner that dn;t fit this theory.

1) PB is a device that connects to the output transistors of the ECU.
2) Transistors are designed for certain current and voltage. Outside the design range, they can fail.
3) Attaching external electrical components to a transistor can change the current and voltage requirements of the transistor.
4) If the transistor fails shorted to ground, it will produce a large coil current continuously. The owner reports that the coils have "solid +12 volts on them" I believe this is a teenly misunderstanding and it was that the transistors were shorted to ground.
5) The coils cracked due to overheating.

Now, it is certainly possible that the PB had nothing to do with this series of events.

It is possible that a grounded wire somewhere under the dash has something to do with these events.

I think this line of logical resasoning is sound, and since I have read no alternative theory with details about the possible readon the ECU outputs failed, I'm left in a bit of a bind.

I do still think the PB is the one and only thing that caused the failure.

This conclusion was drawn from the information the owner posted. It could have been incorrect, and I have no way of checking it.

Things posted by the owner that don't fit:
1) The car had three "burnt" computers, but just ran rough.
2) The Coil cracked, a new one was installed which cracked real soon, and the car just ran rough.
3) The ECU was "putting out +12 Volts DC" but the car just ran rough.
4) A grounded wire under the dash caused the failure in the ECU which caused the coil to fail.

I cannot merge these into a consistent theory at all. You can judge if they were just misinterpretation of evidence or if they are facts that destroy my theory.

Peter and maxmini seem to think the customer is a stand-up guy, so I have no reason to doubt the information was posted honestly.

I have a prediction to make. Someone will come on this thread with foul worts and personal insults and get this thread removed and placed in the "under-review" area so that this information is not kept available for the MINI community.

It won't be me. The new calm and cool Trippy.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:34 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Old 04-28-2004, 07:05 AM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I love when threads are intentionally insulted to be moved to under review.

I'm a conspiracy theorist at heart. And Trippy- I'm right with you on it.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:36 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I think that your arguments are transparently misleading, and the people of this country won't stand for it. They will be turned off by the negative tone of this campaign, and that will become apparent when they come to the polls in November. Let the people decide!

Old 04-28-2004, 08:55 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
>>People have asked me to simply give my opinions of the situation and not get personal so I will not get into theories about the motivtion of the owner. i don't know the owner, and I don't think his or her motivation has much bearing on my theory.
>>
>>My theory, and it is just a theory after reading only the information posted by the owner is that the Plasma Booster put a load on the ECU output transistors that they were not designed for, and they failed. This caused the coil pack to overheat and crack. There are some bits of information posted by the owner that dn;t fit this theory.
>>
>>1) PB is a device that connects to the output transistors of the ECU.
>>2) Transistors are designed for certain current and voltage. Outside the design range, they can fail.
>>3) Attaching external electrical components to a transistor can change the current and voltage requirements of the transistor.
>>4) If the transistor fails shorted to ground, it will produce a large coil current continuously. The owner reports that the coils have "solid +12 volts on them" I believe this is a teenly misunderstanding and it was that the transistors were shorted to ground.
>>5) The coils cracked due to overheating.
>>
>>Now, it is certainly possible that the PB had nothing to do with this series of events.
>>
>>It is possible that a grounded wire somewhere under the dash has something to do with these events.
>>
>>I think this line of logical resasoning is sound, and since I have read no alternative theory with details about the possible readon the ECU outputs failed, I'm left in a bit of a bind.
>>
>>I do still think the PB is the one and only thing that caused the failure.
>>
>>This conclusion was drawn from the information the owner posted. It could have been incorrect, and I have no way of checking it.
>>
>>Things posted by the owner that don't fit:
>>1) The car had three "burnt" computers, but just ran rough.
>>2) The Coil cracked, a new one was installed which cracked real soon, and the car just ran rough.
>>3) The ECU was "putting out +12 Volts DC" but the car just ran rough.
>>4) A grounded wire under the dash caused the failure in the ECU which caused the coil to fail.
>>
>>I cannot merge these into a consistent theory at all. You can judge if they were just misinterpretation of evidence or if they are facts that destroy my theory.
>>
>>Peter and maxmini seem to think the customer is a stand-up guy, so I have no reason to doubt the information was posted honestly.
>>
>>I have a prediction to make. Someone will come on this thread with foul worts and personal insults and get this thread removed and placed in the "under-review" area so that this information is not kept available for the MINI community.
>>
>>It won't be me. The new calm and cool Trippy.

This is the best post so far trippy, even I could follow it. Let me add one other piece to the puzzle that may or may not help either of our cases.Early on in the " investigation " the tech had a test light under the hood checking for power.The Plasma Booster was off at this time and everything was back to stock . He tells me to turn the key on. He probes with the light and I can see it thru the space under the rear of the hood and it the light goes on. He tells me to turn the key off and i do it and the light stays on. He tells me to turn the key off again thinking I didn't hear him and this time i pull it out of the ignition and the light still stays on and he again tells me to TURN THE KEY OFF and this time i show him the key in my hand and the light is still on :smile: He says " oh " . It was all rather comical at the time. The car was aparently " on " no matter what was done via the key. The dead short under the dash was also the reason the battery kept running down and had to be replaced eventually. I hope this gives you another tidbit to keep you and the guys busy back at the anti PB campain :smile: BTW I have noticed that the leather on each side of the driver seat is starting to wrinkle and i do have a plasma booster? Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain mini melt down