Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Whats next...for aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Malcon
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats next...for aftermarket parts

Whats next for aftermarket parts.. have we flat lined? I miss the R53 world where it seems like there were alot more "lego pieces" out there haha.
Maybe its just because its still "new" but I disagree.

Whats you guy's ideas for new or upgraded aftermarket parts.. performance or just aesthetics.. I dont care. It would be cool to have a brainstorming thread here. Even for the weekend hobbyist to come up with something to fabricate or modify! Thats what I love about these cars.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I would love to see a OEM-ish lug-swap for those who want out of the 4x100 and have the R60 5x120 bolt pattern.
If someone made a swapable kit with either from the OEM BMW parts-bin or machined ready-to-install parts, I'd pay reasonable money for such.

- Erik

Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm how much do you want to pay

If you're power hungry...
  • There are a couple of people that are running ported & polished heads and hybrid/JCW turbo is kind of old news. Insane power is really the last thing this car needs.
  • Race motor and standalone ECU. Probably more trouble than it's worth for the common man.

Exterior wise...
  • It would be interesting to see some aftermarket headlight companies out there. The OEM Bi-Xenons are soooooooo expensive if you're looking to swap from Halogen.
  • A manufacturer that made a well designed body kit that looked just as good as the JCW aero kit would be fantastic. The kits out there from the far East look so damn ricey.
  • As much as I cannot afford this crap... CARBON FIBER HOODS, BOOTS, AND DOORS.

Track rats...

• Solution for Schroth 4-point harness for stock seats. It can be modified to fit an R56 belt system, but someone really needs to come out with a bracket that would fit on the two metal rods that go to the headrest. I want to put Schroth harnesses in my car this winter, but I'm not so happy I'm going to have to go out and make my own bracket to make the belts fit square over my shoulders. A fellow MINI'ac in our club made one with success that works really well, but for those who don't have fab skills a marketed solution would be great.
  • Seat brackets for Sparco or other aftermarket seats. Maybe even seats that already have the OEM seat sensor installed.
  • Brake duct kit. I'm talking REAL ducts that could be mounted through the fog light recess or something else slick.

Hmmm not much else is coming to mind right now. I'm pretty happy with my car and really only want more track time, good instruction, and probably some track tires when I'm beyond the limits of my Star Specs.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
sweet ideas! I'm with all of them...
We all know money talks but more options without having to track down custom fabricators would be great haha.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
How about a LSD for less than $2k? I don't know the internal workings of the gearboxes, or space limits, but the Quaife sounds like the only option. My car is stock except for an AP, and the torque steer and traction is difficult on the street. Maybe on a track it is not that big of a problem, but I can't imagine putting big $$ into major motor improvements (head, cam, turbo) and not having traction issues.

Mike

Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 AM
an2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
  • Solution for Schroth 4-point harness.
I saw on the Schroth website the other day that they have an actual for-R56 harness now, don't know if that solves those issues. http://www.schrothracing.com/store/t...ck-fit/qf-mini

Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwicz
How about a LSD for less than $2k? I don't know the internal workings of the gearboxes, or space limits, but the Quaife sounds like the only option. My car is stock except for an AP, and the torque steer and traction is difficult on the street. Maybe on a track it is not that big of a problem, but I can't imagine putting big $$ into major motor improvements (head, cam, turbo) and not having traction issues.

Mike
You can! Quaife has an LSD for the R56. I think it's right at $999.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
I really like that Exhaust depot hard pipes.
I like the idea of the BOV controlled by the vacuum line.. I just dont trust an electric bypass valve.
http://www.exhaustdepot.net/inbotuhakit.html

Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Carbon Fiber hood and rear hatch.

Take out a couple of hundred pounds.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
12v DC coolant pump with electronic controller ala "Partsman" limited edition

Solid light weight replacement panels for sunroof equipped MINI's still maintaing roof functions.

5 Lug hubs to accomodate other wheel sizes.

Coil pack set up like the R56's.

JCW Recaro Sport Seats with Air bags

Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Malcon
6th Gear
good stuff

Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefox280
I would love to see a OEM-ish lug-swap for those who want out of the 4x100 and have the R60 5x120 bolt pattern.
Still waiting and researching...

- Erik