Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Possible scenarios of engine seizing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Possible scenarios of engine seizing?

So my friend has a R56S is currently in the shop right now. He basically mowed over a large piece of metal debris on the highway and it tore through his front bumper and may potentially cause other issues. But the main issue it's in the shop now is that it tore a hole through his oil can. The garage says his motor may be repairable but says it could have seized due to all the oil being spilled out and it may not function like it use to. How accurate is that info? Doesn't sound like an issue to me as long as the car is not running without any oil right?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If he lost all the oil at highway speeds, the engine was running without oil, that's why it could have seized up. That's the first thing they should check unless they think it should just be totaled.

As to whether it will ever be the same again, that depends on what happened and what get's replaced. For example, if they replace the crank and rods because that's what seized, why wouldn't it be as good as new?

It all depends on what happened.....

If that crank spun a bearing in the block, then you're in for major work to get it back to "normal" and the block may not be saveable in which case you'll need a new longblock. but again, if they replace that, you're pretty much good as new again.

I'd also say a lot depends on the shop doing the work, this is one time you don't want to go with the cheapest shop, rather the best one.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
I don't want to make the owner feel too bad, but after the cost of labor of tearing the engine down to check how much damage was caused due to lack of lubrication you might as well buy a new long block. It's going to be a BIG bill. Stories like this make me absolutely hate how modern cars don't have an oil pressure gage and just a red "you're F**cked" light.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 PM
MrCooperS
Thanks for the responses. Confirmed what my thoughts were too. Sounds like he's in deep crap.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A pressure gauge would not have helped him here, he hit something that tore a hole in his pan at highway speed - by the time he saw the gauge go to zero the damage is already done.

However, I agree with you about not having a gauge - it's a glaring omission in a sporty car like a MINI, that and a temperature gauge.

From the sounds of it I think the insurance co will total the car.