Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Exhaust...likes and dislikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Opinions are all over the place in this thread, but just thought I'd add my $.02...

I absolutely love love love how my JCW exhaust+RMW header sounds. It's near silent when cruising around, zero drone...but once you're on it, it can definitely turn heads. I was worried that staying with the JCW exhaust would be too quiet, but simply not the case, it sounds fantastic. Have had many compliments on the sound/tone also.
Agreed! My car has influenced more than a few people to go with that setup

Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remus = NO drone. But $$

Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rwkeating
Thanks for the writeup! Thats old style resonator was huge, glad they supplied you with new style. Hows the paint on the tips holding up?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:23 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The paint on the passenger side is holding up fine. The paint on the drivers side is coming off in a few areas, but the carbon deposits hide that. So all in all, they still look very good. Now if only the rattle in the muffler would fix itself I'd be happy.

I also have the single oval tip. I need to remember to clean it up and post it for sale here some time.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:37 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
The rattle came back even with the new exhaust? Might be the cat.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:20 PM
BUGETER
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ProjectSR53
I sure do appreciate all the comments on your exhaust. I went with the Miltek and I'll give you my take on it...

It arrived nicely packaged and in perfect shape. There wer NO instructions what so ever. Installing it was pretty straightforward, but some tips on removing the old would have been nice. I got the job done, and the new system fit perfectly.

Fired it up and I am very pleased with the sound. Sitting at idle and driving "normal" (whatever that may be) the exhaust is fairly quite. Once you start getting on it, the music comes to life!! LOVE the sound. Nice and deep, mellow tone.

Also looks awesome, no more VW Beetle looking tailpipes to look at either.

As for performance, I suppose it helps, but are you going to ride in a car with aftermarket exhaust and say "Holy s**t what a power gain!!" I don't think so. This was just another step on my way to a mild build up. I've done a DDM CAI, 17% pulley, colder plugs and now exhaust. (All from WMW by the way) I'm seriosly considering getting a tune from him also, just so I won't say "hmmm, would that put the iceing on the cake" I do think that that would tie it all together.

Next are some 18" wheels, dimpled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, and a 22mm rear sway bar. I've already purchased these items just haven't installed them yet. Till then.....Do it once...Do it right!!!!
Sounds like you are modding up in the same manner I am.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 AM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
A new rattle developed after some time. It is a different rattle and definitely from the muffler. It isn't always horrible and sometimes isn't there, but to anyone that enjoys the pure sound of a nice exhaust, any extra noise is not welcome.

Unfortunately when I bought the exhaust, Alta only had a one year warranty and that last rattle happened outside of the warranty period.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:54 PM
312griso8v
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
Since everyone kind of strayed off from the 3 exhausts you requested for, I may have to jump in and promote the Super Sprint exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpuZxctanKk&feature=plcp

A extremely refined exhaust. Louder than the JCW, but not too loud. No drone. Absolutely my favorite.
Same here. Have Supersprint cat-back with sport mufflers. Sounds great but can still easily have a conversation in the car. At the track this April, my buddy said it "sounded like a racecar" when I passed him.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:41 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
PM me if you are interested in a great deal on the ALTA R53 catback exhaust.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 PM
GreenR53
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dinan Exhaust hands down no drone

Old 06-20-2012, 04:59 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Alta exhaust. I like the setup and design, only thing is that i would suggest installing it yourself. Theres a lot of adjusting to be done to get the tip centered (not hard just time consuming and requires patience) and once you achieve that its awesome...and it sounds awesome! Also the tips are flush with the rear bumper which looks so much cleaner than lets say the Borla which sticks out and looks a bit much, but thats my opinion. You might also read around the forum about the Alta's ratteling somewhere, well i found where it comes from, the first v-band that meets the mid pipes literally rests right on the heat shield above which would make a rattle for sure. I applyed some chaff wrap on the area and safety wired her on (Air Force mechs eat your heart out at those pigtails). I was gonna go even as far as safety wireing the v-bands but thats a little too much lol.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
^^^It sounds beastly! Burbles and gurgles A LOT and man does it sound proper. Downshifting is more fun than going fast now lol.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can usually "massage" that heat shield material out of the way with the blunt end of a screwdriver handle or something similar...

Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Load up some sound vids when you get a chance to YouTube.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Professor
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JCW full exhaust with Mynes V2 catless. Burble is like a shotgun . I love the ones I have heard with the RMW shorty and JCW as well.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
You can usually "massage" that heat shield material out of the way with the blunt end of a screwdriver handle or something similar...
There's a lot of play in the pipe so having it resting on the heat shield gave it less reason to rattle anywhere else, especially on the battery heat shield which i wanted to keep. Applying the wrap was the easiest solution for this exhaust.

Last edited by 53LVMini; 06-26-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
Load up some sound vids when you get a chance to YouTube.
Here u go http://youtu.be/As6YWKZbLcU

Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Because exhausts tend to be pricey (except for the "one-ball"), you will, for the most part, read all sorts of promotions for the exhausts that people already have on their own MINI. (No one would normally admit that they paid several hundred dollars and were not happy with their exhaust.) The best advice I have for you is to go to a MINI club event and listen to the various exhausts there are---both from the outside and the inside if club members will oblige. In the end, it is the sound that will sway you one way or another. No narrative here or on a Youtube video is going to be able to capture what you will be able to experience in-person.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ +1 on the "experience it yourself" part. I dunno about the rest, lots of folks are pretty honest about what they like/don't like.

I may have calmed down my "straight back by adding, no foolin', a straight-thru OEM muffler from another car! Zero performance degradation and the highway noise is almost gone. Have to break it in and report later.

53LVmini, you can "massage" that heat shiend on a fencepost using a rubber mallet, add a curve and give yourself some clearance, trying to find a pic... you may have to redrill the holes (not a big deal) but you gain about an inch!

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust...likes and dislikes-2012-02-02_22-02-30_417.jpg   Exhaust...likes and dislikes-2012-02-02_22-02-40_993.jpg  

Last edited by DixonL2; 06-27-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 53LVMini
Some good rich tone. And good backfire sound when you let off the throttle. Alot like the Invidia, but I bet louder.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ofioliti
Because exhausts tend to be pricey (except for the "one-ball"), you will, for the most part, read all sorts of promotions for the exhausts that people already have on their own MINI. (No one would normally admit that they paid several hundred dollars and were not happy with their exhaust.) The best advice I have for you is to go to a MINI club event and listen to the various exhausts there are---both from the outside and the inside if club members will oblige. In the end, it is the sound that will sway you one way or another. No narrative here or on a Youtube video is going to be able to capture what you will be able to experience in-person.
I paid $50 for the rear portion of what I was told was an RMW exhaust, had the front pipe fabbed in 2.5" pipe at a local exhaust shop favored by the local MINI club for $160, and I'm as happy as a clam! Its former owner had the rear section replaced by a local shop because, in combination with her header, it was too loud in the back seat for her daughter. Needless to say, I'm not sneaking up on *anyone*....

I finally got the chance to hear it from outside the car the other day when the mechanic pulled it into his shop to put my rebuilt power steering pump on. It sounds deeply beefy at low to middle RPMs. I haven't had the chance to hear it from outside the car when really winding it up, but what echoes back off canyon walls and overpasses sounds pretty gnarly. It burbles and pops authoritatively also. After it was installed, I noticed a significant bump up in gas mileage as well as a noticeable bump in both torque and horsepower--probably less than 10HP, but definitely noticeable.

It drones a fair bit on the highway....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
Some good rich tone. And good backfire sound when you let off the throttle. Alot like the Invidia, but I bet louder.
Its not loud when cruising, normal driving but when you WOT it sounds like a jet is taking off. I should make another with higher revs, didnt want to **** anyone off in that area .