Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New guy with old problem..... boost loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 AM
SVT2MCS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with old problem..... boost loss

Hi New guy here, been lurking on here for a few weeks and finally decided to join.

A little back ground on me...

John, 42 years old, been building cars for over 20 years 2007 MCS automatic. Built several turbo Focus's, and one Turbo Mustang, diesels, VW's you name it. Have done all my own engine building, and up until now I've done all my own tuning and I'm very comfortable using DiabloSport, F.A.S.T., Harley Screaming Eagle and SCT tuning software... so I'm no stranger to tuning.

I bought the Mini back in mid December, the next day I was modding it (made a CAI for it) Since then I've done a 2.5" cat back and the Hot side Baffle delete.

The car ran perfect until last week when one day I went to pass a car and I had NO boost.... at all. I could hear the noise maker slightly functioning but there just wasnt and ***** to back it up..... and of course there were no codes.

Now this is an intermittent issue, last night on the way to work there was nothing but very low boost.... this morning on the way home it was as if it never happened... ran perfectly.

I did have the infamous P2188 code pending but other than that... nothing obvious.

I've cleaned the MAF, checked all the connections for the intercooler and associated piping, wiring, ect and found nothing off normal.I datalogged it the other day and of course I couldnt replicate the problem... figures.

The last thing I did to the car prior to this was changed out the tires and wheels but that "shouldn't" have anything to do with it.

I am on the same tank of gas that was in it when this started happening so I'm wondering if I could have got "bad gas"... even though I got it from a station I dont usually use they are extremely busy and turnover should be good..... but who knows.