Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Installed Alta's AP... my impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:51 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...I left Jan 2 emails about 10 days ago, 1 to his phone and 1 to his work email. We had been talking about a Midwest Tune and I wanted numbers from him so I could set it up. Haven't heard from him since then.

Guess I might just wait til Alta comes out with the AccessPort for the R53.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by ViperGTS
Hmmm...I left Jan 2 emails about 10 days ago, 1 to his phone and 1 to his work email. We had been talking about a Midwest Tune and I wanted numbers from him so I could set it up. Haven't heard from him since then.

Guess I might just wait til Alta comes out with the AccessPort for the R53.
I've been trying to get a reply from Jan for over a week now as well.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:12 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I successfully traded emails with him on August 16th and 17th. He did not respond to my last email. It went something like this:

"My initial impressions are that this new tune makes more power and is smoother.

What should boost get up to? I see 18psi on a regular basis. Once I saw 19psi. I use a VEI Systems digital boost gauge.

What did you change?

Will you be out in the NYC area, Philly, Boston? in the next few months so I can meet up with you for another tune on a dyno?"

Old 08-24-2010, 05:19 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
This is my conundrum. A tune needs to be done with a dyno. That is why its called a "tune." I have a JCW with many mods. See my signature.

So Alta providing a canned tune for me does not interest me.

Those with 09+ factory JCWs are not getting the amazing results with a RMW tune or this new Alta tune because our cars are already tuned and have engine improvements over those with a Cooper S.

It's not really worth it for me to drop another $800 to get a few more pounds of boot/horse power or torque.

I have put enough time and money into my car. I am going to drive it and enjoy it.

All you Cooper S guys out there that are stock, I would definitely spend the money on this Alta tune/tool. You are getting a huge bang for your buck.

Last edited by onefish2; 08-24-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
This is my conundrum. A tune needs to be done with a dyno. That is why its called a "tune." I have a JCW with many mods. See my signature.

Those with 09+ factory JCWs are not getting the amazing results with a RMW tune or this new Alta tune because our cars are already tuned to some degree and have engine improvements over those with a Cooper S.

So it not really worth it for me to drop another $800 to get a few more pounds of boot/horse power or torque.

I have put enough time and money into my car. I am going to drive it and enjoy it.

All you cooper guys out there that are stock. I would definitely spend the money on this Alta tune/tool. You are getting a huge bang for your buck.

The AP can datalog so maybe if you installed the Alta tune on your factory JCW and then sent the results of your datalog to Alta they could tweak the tune as would be done in a live dyno tune. I am not sure if you or Alta would want to do this but it might be worth a try. BTW if Alta is watching is sending data logs to get better maps an option?

Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
But he did not respond to my last email asking when he was going to be in the northeast again.

Good luck with that.... hope you're patient.

Those with 09+ factory JCWs are not getting the amazing results with a RMW tune or this new Alta tune because our cars are already tuned to some degree and have engine improvements over those with a Cooper S.

That's where you are mistaken. You can't have a tune that is "tuned to some degree AND get amazing results with an RMW tune.

Once you install a RMW tune, there is no more "tuning already to some degree".

I have no issue with Jan, I have an issue with the fact he is always too busy to get in touch with or his schedule is too busy to get a tune.

Obviously, you can attest to that.

Having said that, I assure you that the ALTA tune is not only putting out more power, it's definitely a smooother tune.

If you're happy with the RMW tune, then by all means stick with it. I just want to be able to get mine tuned without having to drive 8 hours to get a tune done.

There was suppose to be a tuning party in Thomasville, it took only a year to get it together and the other tuning party that is suppose to be in Atlanta, well, I guess after 4-5 months, it kind of fell by the wayside.

I'm glad Jan is busy, business is good. Unfortunately, I can't go 12 months in between tunes.

The Alta tune has different maps for different components, yes, they are "canned tunes" but have been done with a car with the same setup as yours. No different than Jan's unless you get on a dyno.

The cool thing that will happen with Alta is I can datalog the AP controller and send the files back to Alta where they can modify them.... not much different than Jan's remote tuning.

Originally Posted by Octane
The AP can datalog so maybe if you installed the Alta tune on your factory JCW and then sent the results of your datalog to Alta they could tweak the tune as would be done in a live dyno tune. I am not sure if you or Alta would want to do this but it might be worth a try. BTW if Alta is watching is sending data logs to get better maps an option?

Opps, sorry.... I was too busy typing, didn't realize I said the same thing you did.... my bad.

This is my conundrum. A tune needs to be done with a dyno. That is why its called a "tune."

Well, since you brought it up. Datalogging via a laptop is far superior for tuning than a dyno anyways.

When you tune using a dyno, the maps are created based on you running in 4th gear to the rev limiter.

Who the hell drives around in 4th gear? That is why the Alta map is so much smoother. No bucking, no wierd idles, datalogging on the street is much better than any dyno in reality cause you get ALL real driving experiences, not just 4th gear WOT.

Mark

Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Mark,

So you are thrilled with this new Alta product and would recommend it over Jan's tune after having it on your car for a few days?

I am going to wait a few months to see how this pans out before I drop another $800 on my car.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Mark,

So you are thrilled with this new Alta product and would recommend it over Jan's tune after having it on your car for a few days?

I am going to wait a few months to see how this pans out before I drop another $800 on my car.

I don't want to speak out of turn because it has only been a few days but if first impressions are anything, then yes, I'm thrilled so far.

I have to drive to VIR tomorrow in VA. It's about a 3'ish hour drive. Then I'll spend 4 full days at the track and drive back Sunday night.

By that time, I'll have enough feedback to know if it is what I think it is.

Then, when I get back, I'm going to load the RMW tune and Alta tune and go back to back at the dyno.

This is what I do know so far.

The AP tool is much more than a means to install a tune. It does what any diagnostic, reset, gauges and tune installer can do all in the size of my cell phone. It's small enough I can mount on my dash but still have no problems reading it. I can't say any of that about my scangauge, my $3000 Snap On diagnostic tool or the RMW Genius.

Driveability. Perfect
Seat of your pants Power. Perfect

If the car performs flawlessly for 4 days on the track and then does good on the dyno, I don't need any other proof.

Like I said, I have great respect for Jan and his tunes. They need some tweaking, that's all. I have called Jeff half a dozen times. Each time he either answers or returns my calls within an hour. I can't honestly say that about Jan... fortunately for him, business is good.

So I'm not some Alta fanboy, I'm merely calling it like I see it. I want what is best for me, my mini and the mini community.

Anyone on here that has an inkling of who I am will tell you I'm a straight shooter, whether you like the info or not.

Mark

Old 08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush

Opps, sorry.... I was too busy typing, didn't realize I said the same thing you did.... my bad.

Mark

Mark I will only be able to forgive your bad after you have posted your Alta tune dyno results

Do you plan to data log and send off to Alta for a tweak ? Is your Mini a factory JCW?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Octane
Mark I will only be able to forgive your bad after you have posted your Alta tune dyno results

Do you plan to data log and send off to Alta for a tweak ? Is your Mini a factory JCW?

Yes and yes....

Mark

Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Mark,

We have talked on the phone. traded many PMs and tons of posts. I know you are a stand up guy. No question about that. What I really wanted to know was just how impressed you were with the new Alta product after only a few days with it on your car.

Please keep us posted on your drive to VA and your track days as well as the head to head on the dyno.

-Steve

Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Mark,

We have talked on the phone. traded many PMs and tons of posts. I know you are a stand up guy. No question about that. What I really wanted to know was just how impressed you were with the new Alta product after only a few days with it on your car.

Please keep us posted on your drive to VA and your track days as well as the head to head on the dyno.

-Steve

Well, here it is in a nutshell....

I'm not opposed to spending money on the mini (as proven by spending 4K for the front seats and 1K on the rear seats ) so for me to drop another 800 bucks on a tuning tool is okay AS LONG AS IT WORKS!!!!

I don't want to **** anyway any more money than the next guy for something useless and I do realize I've only had the tuner on the car for a few days but I for one, am very happy with the results I have seen so far.

I think once I've done the track days and dyno runs, I think the icing on the cake will be increased gas mileage. I'll know that shortly.

I would never recommend something like this to someone else for fear of looking like a fool unless I thought it was worth it.

For you that have basically the same tune I have, you won't feel the difference as someone that simply doesn't have a tune. We've already got great HP/TQ readings and IMO, the AP tune only makes it better.

Can you imagine someone that has a mini with no tune on it and getting this? I'd pay big bucks to be a fly in their car just to watch the stupid grin on their face.

If your tune has a few driveability issues, you'll end those.... that much I can say.

Any increased HP/TQ is just gravy after that.

Mark

Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Arnel
2nd Gear
MotorMouth-

23 lbs? That's nice. What boost level did you have before?

Originally Posted by MotorMouth;
I'll backup OCs review again. My own observation is the engine is running really smooth from idle to full bore.
Power wise I've never driven another MINI that accelerates like this and I've driven some very heavily modded R53s that claimed to be 250+hp.

I have the day off work today and I was planning on getting dynoed but my wife decided it would be nice to surprise me and take the day off herself. That pulled the timing on my plans.

For gas mileage - I haven't started driving normal yet so it'll be hard to confirm, but i suspect the mileage will go up too. Besides the extra timing, the linear throttle makes a difference.

orange crush- you said you are seeing 2-3 lbs boost. That's funny because
i'm getting 23. =P

Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Was at 19.5 with the dimsport tune.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I usually see 18psi. Once I saw 19 with the RMW tune. I think I have a reliable boost gauge. Its a VEI Systems digital gauge.

http://www.veisystems.com/bhm-m.html

Old 08-25-2010, 04:54 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnel
MotorMouth-

23 lbs? That's nice. What boost level did you have before?
Usually 19.5, a few times I saw 20.0

For me, it's not just the extra power, it's the daily driving I like better. If after all this is been compared on the dyno and I find out I'm not making any more than I have been, I'd still be happy just because it eliminates some of the quirks I've had. (they weren't obnoxious, obviously I've lived with them but it's nice to have them gone)

Mark

Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Hell Mark, you've spent more on valve covers than than the rest of us have on mods for our entire cars......

I am real curious to hear how things go at VIR. Although I won't be there a few of the rest of our Reobling group will be. If you get the chance to post nightly, please do......since you and I have similar setups, I'd love to drive it to compare, just don't see that happening anytime soon.

I instruct at Road Atlanta in two weeks and Barber the second week in Nov. RA will be my first real weekend with Jan's newest tune. We'll see what shows up. I do know that the upper RPM band has gotten stronger and the throttle seems sharper. I can't keep my foot out of it longer enough to make any statements about gas mileage.

Glad you're happy with the AP, please keep us posted.

Last edited by phlash; 08-25-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2010, 05:43 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
I have an R56 s with ALTA CAI and ALTA boost gauge(prosport) and bone to stock at the moment which shows 14.8-15 psi at peak, do you think it is normal? I am planning my mods at the moment since it has been only 4-5 months since I bought my R56 S after selling my 2003 R50.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ALIENLOVE
I have an R56 s with ALTA CAI and ALTA boost gauge(prosport) and bone to stock at the moment which shows 14.8-15 psi at peak, do you think it is normal? I am planning my mods at the moment since it has been only 4-5 months since I bought my R56 S after selling my 2003 R50.

Sounds attainable. Your not in the US, according to your info, and if you havent had a reflash, then you wont be down at the measly 12 or so that most of the stock cars have, with whatever software changes MINI did about a year ago or so.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear

Those with 09+ factory JCWs are not getting the amazing results with a RMW tune or this new Alta tune because our cars are already tuned and have engine improvements over those with a Cooper S.

It's not really worth it for me to drop another $800 to get a few more pounds of boot/horse power or torque.

All you Cooper S guys out there that are stock, I would definitely spend the money on this Alta tune/tool. You are getting a huge bang for your buck.
onefish,
I don't want to come across as combative but the backvibe of your posts show potential remorse that you are "stuck" with an RMW tune that you might not be all the pleased with? Nobody really cares if you drop another $800 on your car or not...that is your problem and/or perogative. You have time and money into your car like everybody else. I have tens of thousands of dollars invested into my M3.....who cares? Drive it if you are happy but I think that you aren't happy with the RMW tune. If you were....you wouldn't be in the middle of this thread.

A tune absolutely does NOT have to be done on a dyno. Datalogging is far superior to dyno testing. Dyno testing does not capture real world air flow, cooling etc. You are far better off to drive and datalog...fix, etc. It's more labor intensive and takes more time...that's the only downside. A "road tuned" car done right will always perform better than one tuned on a dyno. I see absolutely NO reason why ALTA's canned tune cannot out perform Jan's tune. Why do you think it's such a small difference? Until you try it....I would reserve comment to be quite frank.

I do not know Jan personally but clearly MINI is not his first priority. ALTA, on the other hand, is dedicated to the MINI. Here they are with the AP, plenty of options, a great tune, and quick, accurate customer service. What more could you want?????????? That is more than Jan is providing and at LESS COST!!!!!

Please don't pass me off as somebody trying to **** in your cereal but I just sense a bit of "buyer's remorse." And hey...that's ok b/c we have all been there and done that. It's just part of the whole evolution of the aftermarket and having to pay to play.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 AM
jedm3
2nd Gear
Floss,
Would you hurry up and get this tune so I can see if I want one
I am scared it will make me want to swap the s14 if I get used to more hp in the MINI.
On a serious note, this seems like a well thought out and developed program and I hope it turns out well. I will get one if so.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear

Have you not been reading the thread? I drive a 09 factory JCW. I went from stock tune to dimsport tune over a year ago. That was a pretty large gain. Now I have the Alta AP tune - and it is AMAZING.

Wether or not this is worth it to you is up to you. It would give you more than "just a few more pounds of boot/horse power or torque".

Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
NAPMINI
1st Gear
Would love to see how the 23psi translates on the track in regards to both lap time and engine reliability. Keep us posted.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:26 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NAPMINI
Would love to see how the 23psi translates on the track in regards to both lap time and engine reliability. Keep us posted.

I'm interested in hearing Mark's story once he starts the track days here soon. If the engine holds up for 4 days of intense track use I'll be satisfied.

I have no tracks here on Oahu. Just a stadium parking lot for autocross.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting discussion......

After looking at Alta's site and talking to Jeff, it looks like this is most beneficial to JCW owners, stock cars gain about 15 hp and 40tq, which is not a lot for $800.

Stock MCS owners can gain a lot more by changing the exhaust and adding the intercooler, but now you're up to $3k, almost the add on for the JCW itself.

The old addage is still valid - How fast you wanna go? How much you wanna spend?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Installed Alta's AP... my impressions.