Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Alta specifically told me I needed a 3" turbo back to smoothly run stage 2.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:16 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Check the early posts in this thread. When Alta supported the Access Port, they had a technician answering many customer questions, I'm sure your question is one that he answered.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Just went back to my old posts, hopefully this helps everyone.

"To run the stage 2 map, you need a 3" turbo back exhaust. Anything smaller you will run a stage 1 map, even if it's a turbo back."

Old 05-09-2017, 04:09 PM
alwayzspeedin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent 2 days going through this thread. 1st I wanna thank everyone for the great info. Second this whole thread is a conflict of 2.5 exhaust and 3" exhaust to run the other tunes 2 and 3.

So im going to lay it out from my experience

1st ..My mods k&n cold air typhoon intake box ( came with car works great) , OBX 2.5 " exhaust , turbo muffler delete moded with a heat sink tube, FMIC , Alta bov spring upgrade, torque bov adaptor, oil catch can mod, aem heat shield

2nd ...my catless down pipe is coming and NGK iridium spark plugs.

I initial started with a stage 3 tune but the good people on here said not to and I was having some freeway issues not boosting or boost cut in 6th gear from 3k-4K rpm.
So I went back to a stage 1 tune. I drove the car for almost 2 weeks , drive perfectly like a beast as long as the car is warmed up. During cold starts the car had rough idle. My boost gauge (bars) was normally at -.3-.4 bars. but cold start it's at ZERO but as the car warmed up it drop back to normal .-3-.4 bars. Also when I drove the car cold it seems to bog or feels jerky around 3k rpm. I usually cruise it till it's warmed up. Other then that I can go Mexico on folks all day in Norcal. I freakin love it.

as of now after reading days worth of post on here. I said Fu@k it and just flashed a stage 2 tune and drove it around. The car is even better. I hope my car doesn't blow up , but I'm leaving the stage 2 on here till my down pipe and spark plugs show up. Then I'm going to run the stage 3 again So all in all the stage 1 and 2 will work with a 2.5 exhaust and FMIC with oem down pipe 🤔

I have 1 question though. I have to take my car to the dealer to have another key made do I need to flash it back to the stock map??

Last edited by alwayzspeedin; 05-09-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:23 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alwayzspeedin
I spent 2 days going through this thread. 1st I wanna thank everyone for the great info. Second this whole thread is a conflict of 2.5 exhaust and 3" exhaust to run the other tunes 2 and 3.

So im going to lay it out from my experience

1st ..My mods k&n cold air typhoon intake box ( came with car works great) , OBX 2.5 " exhaust , turbo muffler delete moded with a heat sink tube, FMIC , Alta bov spring upgrade, torque bov adaptor, oil catch can mod, aem heat shield

2nd ...my catless down pipe is coming and NGK iridium spark plugs.

I initial started with a stage 3 tune but the good people on here said not to and I was having some freeway issues not boosting or boost cut in 6th gear from 3k-4K rpm.
So I went back to a stage 1 tune. I drove the car for almost 2 weeks , drive perfectly like a beast as long as the car is warmed up. During cold starts the car had rough idle. My boost gauge (bars) was normally at -.3-.4 bars. but cold start it's at ZERO but as the car warmed up it drop back to normal .-3-.4 bars. Also when I drove the car cold it seems to bog or feels jerky around 3k rpm. I usually cruise it till it's warmed up. Other then that I can go Mexico on folks all day in Norcal. I freakin love it.

as of now after reading days worth of post on here. I said Fu@k it and just flashed a stage 2 tune and drove it around. The car is even better. I hope my car doesn't blow up , but I'm leaving the stage 2 on here till my down pipe and spark plugs show up. Then I'm going to run the stage 3 again So all in all the stage 1 and 2 will work with a 2.5 exhaust and FMIC with oem down pipe 🤔

I have 1 question though. I have to take my car to the dealer to have another key made do I need to flash it back to the stock map??
Here's the thing about the exhaust sizing. Alta, the company who developed the tune and sold the device originally, are the ones who have always said 3" from the turbo back with no cats.
The people who spent countless hours on the dyno are probably the ones who know most about what you should and shouldn't run since they created it.

Can you run something else? Sure. Nobody is stopping you. And now that they're all second hand units and Alta doesn't have to cover any warranty issues or customer complaints about poor performance, it's really up to the end user what they run.

If it's working then godspeed

I'm not sure if you answered this already, but have you checked for carbon build-up on your valves? I had similar issues you were reporting, but with just the stage 1. I've since cleaned my valves and that went away, so I stepped up to the highest stage I have. (I never did understand their way of "stages")

And your last question, I always removed mine when I took it in for anything. Just in case the dealership decided to do me a favor and flash my ECU because of an outstanding recall or something.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:30 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It may have been a coincidence that Alta also sold the only 3" (that i know of) turbo back exhaust for these cars that was "needed" for stage 3.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:01 AM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BeardedForever
It may have been a coincidence that Alta also sold the only 3" (that i know of) turbo back exhaust for these cars that was "needed" for stage 3.
True. Never pass up an opportunity for additional sales.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
After 10000 miles on my rebuilt engine, ive had some observations. First the accessport tune with stage 1 or 2 causes superknocking under 6th gear high load roll on like an exit ramp or throttling down on the highway without downshifting. It also coincides with the higher temps during summer months. My reason for the rebuild was a loss of compression due to a blown piston ring land on #3 piston bottom. I just compression tested and bore scoped a friends similairly equipped car and his is about to do the same. We both have been running high boost numbers near 20 under high load. We autocross so we are hard on and off the gas. When I remove the tune and go back to normal the superknocks are gone. Now I know I'm not running more than 13 pounds boost either but in an effort to be safe and nor have to rebuild my engine too soon again I'm removing the accessport tune and will go Manic once I can sell my accessport.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:55 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Sstrickstein
After 10000 miles on my rebuilt engine, ive had some observations. First the accessport tune with stage 1 or 2 causes superknocking under 6th gear high load roll on like an exit ramp or throttling down on the highway without downshifting. It also coincides with the higher temps during summer months. My reason for the rebuild was a loss of compression due to a blown piston ring land on #3 piston bottom. I just compression tested and bore scoped a friends similairly equipped car and his is about to do the same. We both have been running high boost numbers near 20 under high load. We autocross so we are hard on and off the gas. When I remove the tune and go back to normal the superknocks are gone. Now I know I'm not running more than 13 pounds boost either but in an effort to be safe and nor have to rebuild my engine too soon again I'm removing the accessport tune and will go Manic once I can sell my accessport.
If dollars permit, you should consider keeping the AP. You can use any of the AP maps for a Manic "Base" map, plus you still have the other AP functions --- code read / reset, data log / monitor, etc. It's a very useful tool. Double check with your Manic installer for more info.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My main concern is it's an unsupported tune so I am changing to a supportive tune

Old 07-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Matthew Williford
Neutral
P&b

Just in case I am missing something(I have searched through this thread and others like it) there is NOT a tune that will give us P&B for n14 engine?

I couldn't find any, but I would feel foolish if there was one and I just didn't see it. Y'all are smarter than me and im still new to this forum lol

Old 07-12-2017, 02:05 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I was never able to find one when I had my 2009 N14 S. My '09 JCW does have plenty of P&B though.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if the Acess Port is still a usable tool for tuning an R56 vs other methods currently available where you have to send your ECU in for a reflash.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2017, 03:32 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Yes! I have it and use it quite often....I have four seperate tunes available on it...

Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Ray167
1st Gear
Originally Posted by coachvminis
Yes! I have it and use it quite often....I have four seperate tunes available on it...
Thanks for the response. Also do Cobb tuners still support the device. This is what I should have asked too, because I like to get the mini dyno tuned or street tuned by a pro.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:42 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Good luck finding any tuner with a license to use the AP tuning equipment, including Cobb. They told me NO over two years ago. Last one I know of was Ziptie Dynowerks just outside of Salt Lake City. They were bought out by someone else in the same area, so they may or may not have retained the AP license.

Lotsa other tuners out there. AP till works with Manic tunes, as their "base" tune, just can't store non-AP maps on it. Works great for all the other functions tho.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Good luck finding any tuner with a license to use the AP tuning equipment, including Cobb. They told me NO over two years ago. Last one I know of was Ziptie Dynowerks just outside of Salt Lake City. They were bought out by someone else in the same area, so they may or may not have retained the AP license.

Lotsa other tuners out there. AP till works with Manic tunes, as their "base" tune, just can't store non-AP maps on it. Works great for all the other functions tho.
Thanks for the heads up.I guess its not an option any more since I cannot even get custom maps for it anymore.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:47 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ray167
Thanks for the heads up.I guess its not an option any more since I cannot even get custom maps for it anymore.
If that place in SLC still has a license, they might do a custom dyno tune for you. Try Ziptie's old web site for a link to the new co.

The following users liked this post:
Ray167 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 05:47 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Still have the option of the canned tunes on the AP. About a dozen or so tunes for various configurations.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:20 PM
jonbrod
Neutral
Anyone interested in an unmarried Accessport in the box?

Old 12-06-2017, 05:46 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did Alta ever release a dyno sheet showing for a stage 3 MCS? I'd like to find a shift point for drag racing short of a dyno day.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:25 AM
ryan6898
1st Gear
hey guys, im kinda new to the mini scene and i just purchased an ap and i was wondering if anyone had any good tunes that they could send me that have some good pops and crackles but wont blow my engine. im only 17 and dont really have a lot of money to spend on a manic or something. i have a k&n typhoon intake, cnt 2.5" catless dp, cnt 2.5" catback, and a larger fmic. if anyone could help me out i would really apreciate it.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ryan6898
hey guys, im kinda new to the mini scene and i just purchased an ap and i was wondering if anyone had any good tunes that they could send me that have some good pops and crackles but wont blow my engine. im only 17 and dont really have a lot of money to spend on a manic or something. i have a k&n typhoon intake, cnt 2.5" catless dp, cnt 2.5" catback, and a larger fmic. if anyone could help me out i would really apreciate it.
Hey - congrats on your Mini! Your AP should have come with a bunch of maps (canned tunes). With your setup, You can run stage 1, based on what Alta told us in this thread. If you want to run stage 2, you'll have to upgrade to a 3" downpipe and exhaust, based on what Alta mentions as well.

I don't know what type of Mini you have or the year, but the pops and crackles vary for everyone.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:58 AM
ryan6898
1st Gear
i have a 2010. also how much of a power difference is there between the 3" and 2.5"

Old 01-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Good question, I'm honestly not sure. Someone else on here might be able to confirm.

I don't really think it would make a big difference, but the way Alta set up the tune, they require 3" downpipe and exhaust for stage 2 and up.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread