Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain converting internal wastegate to external

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chakraj
AH,HA, but if the hole is small enough it will only open up at full boost causing a leak, and a limp home mode then to be fine upon re start.

If I where you, I would do what I did. Take those off and put the stock ones back on, or replace with hard pipes from NM. But take them off and see if you still have your problem, it may be solved???
The pin holes that developed on your ALTA boost tubes, were they on the hot side tube (long) or the cold side (short) or both?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
The Audi part number is
shoot its really blurry, it looks like
DBF 145 710 G
it could be D6F???

No I never did get a hole in either Alta tube I took them off before it rubbed through, there are a few threads on here about it. But both had wear on them and with time or with the wrong move either could have worn through.

PS I like alta, not trying to bash.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
i had a alta boost tube on a well but i took it off, im going to swap bov's with my friend and see if it works or not.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM
SimpsonGI
AH,HA, but if the hole is small enough it will only open up at full boost causing a leak, and a limp home mode then to be fine upon re start.

If I where you, I would do what I did. Take those off and put the stock ones back on, or replace with hard pipes from NM. But take them off and see if you still have your problem, it may be solved???
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just checked the tubes. I found at least one gash/hole in each one. The cold side tube is rubbing up against a protruding tab from the firewall and the hot side one looks like it rubbing up against a bolt. I'm going to swap the tubes out with the ones on my wife's Clubman so I can take part in the RMW tune party I have set up for this Friday and Saturday.

More than likely you saved me chakraj, I think I should be able to get the tune from Jan that I prepaid for.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
We will all cross our fingers that that was it??

Oh and its a Blow off Valve if it vents to atmosphere (and makes a big sound), and its a Diverter valve if it diverts the air back into the system (like ours dose, you actually hear the sound coming out from inside the intake.)

Last edited by chakraj; 07-07-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
But even if you swap with your friend it may not help, yours may not be bad. You may just be pushing to much boost for it. I changed mine because I was pushing to much boost for the stock one. (OK that is just what I had figured out at the time, and it did help my issue. I am not the end all expert on this.)

There is a rubber plunger in there and the Audi plunger is tougher, the boost at 16 psi may just be to much for the plunger or spring?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM
SimpsonGI
I know you were talking about stinkytofu's problem but I am planning on putting in either a Helix or ALTA BOV at some point. They should be able to handle anything we through at it boost wise. My BOV has been handling around 20 PSI max boost for a couple of years now. I'm sure that hasn't been healthy for it. Swapping it out temporarily won't hurt, but I would agree with chakraj. Each component will have its own tolerances and they can very somewhat amongst the same part. If your friend hasn't increased their boost though you are probably more likely to come across a BOV that is stronger as it hasn't had to deal with the increased boost levels.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
yeah my friends's car is bone stock, so it should help. when i had the alta bov on i ran into the same problem so not too sure if it still is the diverter valve

Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Elessar
2nd Gear
Thanks for the help but I'm having some trouble finding it. Which model and year Audi A3 is it?

The Audi part number is
shoot its really blurry, it looks like
DBF 145 710 G
it could be D6F???

No I never did get a hole in either Alta tube I took them off before it rubbed through, there are a few threads on here about it. But both had wear on them and with time or with the wrong move either could have worn through.

PS I like alta, not trying to bash.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
a 2008 audi A3 with high output engine how about 08f 145 710 g

sorry im not more help may be 06f 145 710 g

Old 07-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Elessar
2nd Gear
06f 145 710 g Turbo Cut Off Valve - Thanks!

a 2008 audi A3 with high output engine how about 08f 145 710 g

sorry im not more help may be 06f 145 710 g

Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
i think the part you are looking for is

New OEM DV 06H 145 710 D

Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Thats funny because the F "06F" is one of the clearest letters on their, ill post a picture later. There are two versions though...

Old 07-08-2010, 08:39 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
im not sure anymore either but ive been reading this one thread thats saying the "d" is the newer one. here check it out: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Removed!/page4

here's another site where they offer the valve for 79.95 free shipping
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...alve/ES263879/

Old 07-08-2010, 10:31 AM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just checked the tubes. I found at least one gash/hole in each one. The cold side tube is rubbing up against a protruding tab from the firewall and the hot side one looks like it rubbing up against a bolt. I'm going to swap the tubes out with the ones on my wife's Clubman so I can take part in the RMW tune party I have set up for this Friday and Saturday.

More than likely you saved me chakraj, I think I should be able to get the tune from Jan that I prepaid for.
Unfortunately, I think I'm back to square one. On further review of the boost tubes, it does not look like they are completely worn through. I think I'm back to it probably being a waste gate issue.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
OK you do have the canned tune and not a dyno tune correct? I would see if Jan sitting on a Dyno and working your car can solve the problem. My car was very hard for him to tune, a few times the tune was doing crazy stuff ( he had me checking my tubes to make sure they didnt come loose and everything) , finally he got it. ( I honestly think with how hard my car was to tune a canned tune may have caused problems, some cars are just weird and mine was one of those) The canned tune may be whats pushing your car over the limit.

When you reflash your stock tune is the problem gone? if so than Jan can fix it in person. If it is still there then you may need to go into the dealer.

Since your tune has never really worked I would ask Jan to give you a break and only charge you Dyno time, he is a good guy and will help where he can.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
SimpsonGI
Yes, I have the remote tool and only a canned tune at the moment. Going back to the stock tune was the first thing I tried. It still does it with the stock tune so the canned tune isn't the culprit. Jan will be landing here in town in about an hour. I'll see if I can get him to take a quick look at it either tonight or before he starts tuning MINIs tomorrow morning. I am preparing myself to be stuck and to cheer on everyone else while they get theirs tuned. I suspect a trip to the dealer will be in order. The dealer is about 120 miles away and they are usually booked several weeks out.

Then again, Jan might take a look at it and figure it out.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. They have been very helpful in eliminating possibilities. And thank you again stinkytofu for encouraging me to continue to post in your thread about my similar issue.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Wow, that sucks. I was hopping I could have helped atleast one of you guys. Im sure this isnt it, but have you cleaned your mass airflow sensor? if it is covered in oil it can have a negative effect...

OK last thing, remove your ALta turbo inlet hose, the early generations had a problem of collapsing under heavy boost. They fixed it with a wire built in later but its still worth trying your stock one again. I am back to my stoack turbo inlet hose, stock intake with adrop in Alta unifilter.

ANyway its worth a shot and while you are changing it you can check your MAS for oil?/

Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
SimpsonGI
I haven't cleaned it since I replaced my ALTA foam filter with a K&N filter about 2k miles ago. It's OK chakraj, you have been very helpful even if we haven't been able to nail down the cause. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:05 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
finally figured it out, its my wastegate that is bad. i can show you where to check it, but you need to take off the turbo's heat shield

Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
finally figured it out, its my wastegate that is bad. i can show you where to check it, but you need to take off the turbo's heat shield
Please show!!

My car has been doing some weird things with boost...to explain simply, its very inconsistent. Sometimes it will boost to ~18psi and other times it barely hits 14psi. You can also distinctly hear it not holding boost, the best way I can describe it is it sounds like its wavering. But then other times it spools fine, holds strong boost almost all the way to the redline and the car accelerates smoothly and quickly.

I don't think its tune related, seeing as my car has been tuned for over a year now, and this current tune I have had since Oct/Nov with no issue. I was thinking it is either wastegate...or DV related.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
SimpsonGI
Yes, please show

Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by stinkytofu

I would also like to see where and how to check the wastegate and what was done to fix the problem. I have an early 2009 factory JCW and it seems that I have the same prroblem.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Elessar
2nd Gear
+1 to Thumpers description below. I have been thinking it's my upgraded turbo or a over worked or broken diverter valve, which I guess could still be the case.

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Please show!!

My car has been doing some weird things with boost...to explain simply, its very inconsistent. Sometimes it will boost to ~18psi and other times it barely hits 14psi. You can also distinctly hear it not holding boost, the best way I can describe it is it sounds like its wavering. But then other times it spools fine, holds strong boost almost all the way to the redline and the car accelerates smoothly and quickly.

I don't think its tune related, seeing as my car has been tuned for over a year now, and this current tune I have had since Oct/Nov with no issue. I was thinking it is either wastegate...or DV related.

Last edited by Elessar; 07-09-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Please show!!

I wonder if this type of problem which is much the same as I seem to have could be caused by the turbo boost frequency valve. I am no expert but it seems like this might be an explanation for inconsistent boost.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain converting internal wastegate to external