Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the unit was coming with a really safe canned tune?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08
I thought the unit was coming with a really safe canned tune?
IF YOU KNOW THE TUNE COSTS $600 Normally.......... how can I give you a tool for $415?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
I don't get what you are trying to say?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
I don't get what you are trying to say?
IF THE TOOL COSTS RMW $415 to buy from Dimsport, pay for the shipping to US and then ship it to you and pay the customs on it..... and then you want me to put a free tune on it all for $415?

Do you now see what I'm trying to explain to you?

I have to go tune some cars now.... maybe someone else can explain this better

Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Jan you are confusing me because in post #31 you answered chakraj question "Yes Jan, if we buy the tool will it come with a test tune that may be better than stock but still not as good as your dyno tune?" and you said "it will be a generic tune that is safe, as always a dyno tune is recommended and will result in more hp"

Last edited by Bigjoeski08; 02-06-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
basically hes saying your paying for a TOOL to tune your car for $415

since people pay $600 for a tune what makes you think the TUNE doesn't cost money? if you want a TUNE its going to cost extra

Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
I know the tune cost money but he said the units would come with a basic canned tune.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Jan you are confusing me because in post #31 you answered chakraj question "Yes Jan, if we buy the tool will it come with a test tune that may be better than stock but still not as good as your dyno tune?" and you said "it will be a generic tune that is safe, as always a dyno tune is recommended and will result in more hp"

I will put generic tunes on them but YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.... what we were discussing was HOW MUCH TO TOOL WILL COST FIRST......

you do expect to get paid for work at your job............right?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Add me to the list please
Depending on the discount...

Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
I'm just trying to get the facts straighten out this is a big purchase and don't want to get into something I don't know %100 about.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 AM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
Please add me to the list Jan. One question - If we get the generic tune now, and later meet up with you for a dyno session, what sort of extra cost are we looking at? Cost of the dyno plus... Thanks!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
I'm just trying to get the facts straighten out this is a big purchase and don't want to get into something I don't know %100 about.
no problem, no one can fault you for that

Originally Posted by PoktRokt
Please add me to the list Jan. One question - If we get the generic tune now, and later meet up with you for a dyno session, what sort of extra cost are we looking at? Cost of the dyno plus... Thanks!
$50

Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
And the list grows and grows......

Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
MBW Motorsports
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by scottab36
And the list grows and grows......
...and we're definitely getting more than just one... They'll be PLENTY of people on the fence that will jump once the word gets out!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:21 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MBW Motorsports
...and we're definitely getting more than just one... They'll be PLENTY of people on the fence that will jump once the word gets out!
How can we spread the news so we get this list to 100 to get a significant group buy discount? Other websites? Car clubs? Mini Events?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
Jan,
Could you put me down for one too.
But, could you give a complete rundown of how the remote tune works, how much it will cost and what kind of gains we should see. I have a bone stock Clubman S (manual) and wasn't planning on upgrading the exhaust, but I might change the intake.
Jan has mentioned in prior tunes the biggest gain you see for any basic low cost improvement is upgrading the Front Mounted Inter Cooler (FMIC)

Last edited by SpyVsSpy; 02-06-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:48 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
I understand that we have to buy the flash tool as well as the tune what will be the total cost?

Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM
MBW Motorsports
Former Vendor
Let's see if I can help...we're a vendor for Jan/RMW so hopefully we're not putting any words in their mouth...

Jan is giving the MAD hook-up on the hand-held, and basically charging cost for it, so the mechanism that's necessary to get the tune installed is available to as many as people as possible...

With that being said...it would be, let's see how to phrase this correctly...well, INSANE to include a tune, canned or otherwise, within that cost of approximately $415. From a business standpoint, this is where RMW is making their money.

Does that make any sense? I hope so...

Anyone with any experience with other similar devices for other vehicles probably already has a handle on this, but if this is you first tuning rodeo hopefully it will make sense now.

So you're looking at roughly $1K, mas or menos, to get your ride tuned properly. Everyone's experience may vary, but you can spend a whole lot more, like 3 times that, on an AMG for example (although I won't mention any specific tuner) and be lucky to get a fraction of the results. If you want to get the most for your mods, and the more the better, a proper tune is MANDATORY, not optional...

Look at it this way too...Jan is gonna be able to get a whole lot more MINIs tuned without having to go on the road anymore. That's better for everyone since you won't have to wait to him to come to a theater near you and he doesn't have to spend an awful amount of time on the road away from the shop, family, business, etc.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
I too was under the impression that a canned tune was included. But that was just my ignorance in the matter. No harm done. At approx. 1000.00 that would probably put me out of the market. I can see where Jan has to make a buck and I agree that his time is worth something and that he should work for free. I own my own business and I get people everyday that expect me to work for free. Well I wont do it and neither should Jan. I have never heard a bad remark about Jan or his company, only positives, and that is a company that I would like to do business with. I was under the impression that the tune that Jan does when he travels is much more involved than something that could be canned and sent to the masses. You also have to account for travel, hotel, rental, etc.. when on the road, plus you have to pay for the time it takes to individually tune each car. I would think a canned tune would be less expensive since the programming should work regardless of options and years, to a certain point. If I was to buy a Super chips programmer for my Chevy Avalanche it would only run me about 400.00. But I also understand that my MINI is not a common Chevy truck and that the tuning is not as common and therefore will be more expensive. I personally think that a canned tune should run 200 - 300 buckes more than the tuner and if someone wants a custom tune then they should be charged an additional 200 - 300 instead of just 50. That is were we are paying for more of the time.

If I am out of line please let me know. I have a thick skin. Regardless I think it is great what Jan is doing here for the club members, and everyone please dont expect someone to work for free.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:22 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by phxsteele
I too was under the impression that a canned tune was included. But that was just my ignorance in the matter. No harm done. At approx. 1000.00 that would probably put me out of the market. I can see where Jan has to make a buck and I agree that his time is worth something and that he should work for free. I own my own business and I get people everyday that expect me to work for free. Well I wont do it and neither should Jan. I have never heard a bad remark about Jan or his company, only positives, and that is a company that I would like to do business with. I was under the impression that the tune that Jan does when he travels is much more involved than something that could be canned and sent to the masses. You also have to account for travel, hotel, rental, etc.. when on the road, plus you have to pay for the time it takes to individually tune each car. I would think a canned tune would be less expensive since the programming should work regardless of options and years, to a certain point. If I was to buy a Super chips programmer for my Chevy Avalanche it would only run me about 400.00. But I also understand that my MINI is not a common Chevy truck and that the tuning is not as common and therefore will be more expensive. I personally think that a canned tune should run 200 - 300 buckes more than the tuner and if someone wants a custom tune then they should be charged an additional 200 - 300 instead of just 50. That is were we are paying for more of the time.

If I am out of line please let me know. I have a thick skin. Regardless I think it is great what Jan is doing here for the club members, and everyone please dont expect someone to work for free.
Seeing as you're way out in Laveen...you're already halfway to California . Just a fellow Phoenician here messin with you...but seriously, just take a drive out to OC one of these weekends and get tuned in person. You're lucky enough to be near Jan, whereas the other 90% of the country isn't...

Old 02-06-2010, 06:39 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Seeing as you're way out in Laveen...you're already halfway to California . Just a fellow Phoenician here messin with you...but seriously, just take a drive out to OC one of these weekends and get tuned in person. You're lucky enough to be near Jan, whereas the other 90% of the country isn't...
Thats not out of the question. The reason I would like to have the module is to retain my warranty. Being able to switch back and forth is a nice feature. I have a Unichips PNP on it now and that is a nice power increase. I just hate having to take it off every time I go in for warranty/maintenance work. With the wiring harness they provide it is a 50/50 chance it will work when you put it back on. Not to mention I run a bypass on the unit when I do autocross. Funny thing is a piggy back system puts me in a different class. If the factory ecu is reprogrammed I can legally stay in the same class. I may just have to wait until my warranty runs out to get the custom tune.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:01 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phxsteele
If I was to buy a Super chips programmer for my Chevy Avalanche it would only run me about 400.00.

I assure you that the unlike a superchips/hypertech, etc, etc... you'll FEEL the difference in power...

Not even close.

Mark

Old 02-07-2010, 04:30 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
That, and this isnt a domestic car.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:07 AM
MBW Motorsports
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Gilboyto
That, and this isn't a domestic car.
Pretty sure that BMW/MINI having closed (as opposed to open) source code has a whole lot to do with it too. That makes it particularly excrutiating to work with, which, coupled with somewhat limited production (as opposed to a popular, open source code American car like a Mustang) results in a higher price than a canned (and crappy) tune/tuner that what you'll see in Summitt for American iron. I've had about a half dozen tuners for various American cars (Hypertech, Superchips, Diablosport, Jet) and their canned tunes for NA/gassers are particularly "tame"; to put it nicely. Now, turbo diesels on the other hand are an entirely different matter...250HP with JUST a tune, and no mods for $1K can't be beat...until you need a billet tranny (around $6K or so installed) within a week because you toasted it...

Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I think $600 for a tune is a great price for a car like the MINI. Tunes for VW's which are sold in much higher volumes run about the same price (APR, GIAC, ect). Only thing I would possibly see a cost issue with is the flash loader, since other vendors have versions for less, but again are sold in high numbers and probably have less features.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ***OFFICIAL SIGN-UP THREAD for FLASH TOOL***