Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX LSD call out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
LosOsos"S"
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX LSD call out.

Hello Namers,

I have already done a diligent search but would like some current opinions/experiences from OBX LSD owners. Yes, I am doing a clutch, so the pressure is on for a LSD.

How do you like it?
Any failures?
Did you replace the washers prior to use?
Would you do the OBX again?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably a better source of info would be the Honda or Ford guys. Many, many more units installed and so a better idea of value.

Me, I wouldn't take the chance with the Quaife knock-off. Get the real deal.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:30 PM
KC Jr 54
4th Gear
IMO ZERO Point in pay $1500 for a product that you can pay $400 and spend another $100 for a machine shop make perfect.

There are a few members on this forum that have a OBX, and no reportable problems. Same can be said for the Honda and Ford crowds.

Personally i am looking at a clutch job soon, and even though i would LOVE the whole OS Giken setup i just cant justify the cost. So OBX it will be for me !

Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
FYI, I had a guy call me Thursday last week with an OBX diff that failed, he said it put metal through the trans. I'm going to see if I can get some pics, but he's going to replace it with either a quafie or Giken.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
OBX is fine if you replace the some of the metal discs in the diff. Like another poster said, look to the honda or DSM forums for break downs of what to replace. Once those are swapped you should have no problems. I know 2 guys with OBX's in their 400whp FWD Talon's and one in with a 280whp civic. None of them have had issues. The quaife is a waste of money, get a OS giken or get a OBX and swap out some stuff.
For a little more peace of mind, you can also order a Torsen T-2 differential from a SVT Focus 02-04. Same exact differential as a mini. It's a helical like the quaife but without the ridiculous price tag. My buddy has one in his 330whp/300wtq SVT Focus and loves it.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 AM
LosOsos"S"
1st Gear
Thank you all for the input and opinions so far.
Of course the OBX price is hard to beat.
But parts breaking is bad mojo and I really hate having to do the same job twice...who doesn't!
From lurking through other brand forums, it does seem that most users have positive OBX experiences. But there are the few broken units. I would just hate to be part of that percentage.

As for the Focus SVT option. Sure that would be great! Has got to be a better price. Has anyone here, actually touched a MINI that is running the Ford diff? Yes, both cars run the Getrag, but how exactly the same are they where the diff is concerned?

Thanks!!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM
PinesMini
2nd Gear
Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LosOsos"S"
Thank you all for the input and opinions so far.
Of course the OBX price is hard to beat.
But parts breaking is bad mojo and I really hate having to do the same job twice...who doesn't!
From lurking through other brand forums, it does seem that most users have positive OBX experiences. But there are the few broken units. I would just hate to be part of that percentage.

As for the Focus SVT option. Sure that would be great! Has got to be a better price. Has anyone here, actually touched a MINI that is running the Ford diff? Yes, both cars run the Getrag, but how exactly the same are they where the diff is concerned?

Thanks!!
My buddy just got a new Torsen T-2 and it had Mini Cooper S/ SVT Focus Getrag on the sticker. You can always call Torsen to confirm what Im saying.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
LosOsos"S"
1st Gear
I did a quick check and Quaife calls out the same part number for both as does OBX. There are a couple of older NAM threads that mention use of the SVTF T-2 diff's in R53's. Also, there is an old Grassroots Motorsports article on a R53 build up using the then prototype Quaife unit for the SVTF and MINI. All that echos them being the same unit.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Chase
4th Gear
i have had the obx for almost 2 years now. no problems at all. i love it

Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
FYI, I had a guy call me Thursday last week with an OBX diff that failed, he said it put metal through the trans. I'm going to see if I can get some pics, but he's going to replace it with either a quafie or Giken.
Was this a track car?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear

I have one . Shocking as it might sound I put one in a long time ago when I added my first clutch. It worked great at 230WHP, then 250, then 299 and now 330whp and no problems. I didn't do a thing to it. Pulled it from the box and installed it.

Lucky . So far it was money well spent. Knock on wood .

Longboard

Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM
LosOsos"S"
1st Gear
WOW, now that is a testimonial with some extra strength! Thank you Longboard!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Yep.....you can sometimes find a jewel in a big pile of...

Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having a problem with my driver side axle popping out of the tranny. Even after replacing the circlip, the axle just won't stay in...it pops out within a few days. My problems began after replacing my stock LSD with an OBX. I don't know if that's the cause of the problems..but I'm sick and tired of flatbedding my MINI--twice in one week already. I'm ready to open up the tranny and look inside to see why it's not holding..and will probably dump the OBX and go with either a Giken or Quaife. I just hate the 4 week wait time for Giken that everyone quotes. Anyone know where I can get a Giken today???

Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
wow I have never heard of anything like that. Have you checked the axle splines or clip notch? (Im guessing you would have)

Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM
OctaneGuy
Yep. The splines on the end of the circlip were a little chewed up, but the last shop I used cleaned them up with a grinder. Metal particles were removed with a magnet and then the tranny was flushed. We put a new circlip on as well. The axle is relatively new...about 8,000 miles ago.

Danny said that he had another OBX LSD customer with the same issue, but the fix he tried for him, didn't work for me.

I'm tired of being stranded every other day. I'm out of free flatbed towings with AAA.

I found a local shop that carries the Giken for the 1st Gen....not sure if they have it in stock though..will check tomorrow. If so, I'll be picking one up. I'm at the bottom end of the scale of what LongBoard is putting out on his OBX, so I SHOULDN'T be having these issues...but don't really know what to do anymore....close to dumping my MINI...yes it's that bad. I've been on an emotional roller coaster for too long.

This was last night at 10:30pm after a very long day at the shop and heading home....

Originally Posted by R53Warrior
wow I have never heard of anything like that. Have you checked the axle splines or clip notch? (Im guessing you would have)

Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 PM
OctaneGuy
And last Friday....Is it OBX, or something else?????

Old 03-12-2010, 06:23 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Did you replace the half shaft with OEM OctaneGuy? Did you compare it's length with the original? How low is your MINI?

Jeremy

Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 AM
OctaneGuy
Yep they are factory parts from the dealership. I first went with a rebuilt one that lasted about a week and that pissed me off, so I ended up buying a new one from the dealer. The one that's in now was measured with a micrometer and is easily within specs. They checked the splined end, and inside the tranny to make sure that there was sufficient area to grab.

I'm actually not lowered very much anymore. Back when I had most of the axle clicking issues, I was slammed and dragging over speed bumps. I since went to 225/45-17 tires for comfort and had to raise the Cross coilovers to clear the fender wells. Right now, I've got about 1/4" clearance in the rear and maybe 1/2" on the front? Just guessing...would have to go down and check my car. Put it this way. When I was lowered, my ankle would hit the aero skirts when I exited the car. Now it's my calve that hits lol.

Richard

Originally Posted by jhiggs26
Did you replace the half shaft with OEM OctaneGuy? Did you compare it's length with the original? How low is your MINI?

Jeremy

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Hmmm are you sure you are seating the inner CV into the OBX diff and allowing c clip to snap out and into position? ie Are you BFHing the whole axle into position and checking by trying to pry on the inner CV out again?

Jeremy

Old 03-12-2010, 07:10 AM
OctaneGuy
Yes. Remember that I've had two different MINI mechanics & shops working on it with the same results. The last shop spent 2 hours making sure that everything was proper before putting it back. It lasted twice as long, is in 4 days instead of 2 days before it popped back out. This was probably the result of using a new circlip.

Are there any replaceable parts other than on the axle that could be failing? I'm not sure what grabs and holds the axle/circlip combo, but maybe that part is faulty? I'm assuming that would be in the OBX.

Hmmm are you sure you are seating the inner CV into the OBX diff and allowing c clip to snap out and into position? ie Are you BFHing the whole axle into position and checking by trying to pry on the inner CV out again?

Jeremy

Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
How many miles did it last before the inner CV popped out the first time? I would have replaced the inner CV if the splines were chewed up upon inspection. You need those splines in A1 condition to keep the CV seated in the diff(c clip needs something to bang against to keep axle in diff). Two options then include a larger c clip or new inner CV/good used one with a new c clip of course.

A final option might be that the OBX retaining chamfering was not machined correctly which is possibly not allowing your c clip to fully relax/pop out to retain your inner CV...

Jeremy

Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
OctaneGuy
So it turns out that the problem is inside the tranny. So now the dilemma. It's going to cost $1000 to open it up and find the problem. There might be issues with the tranny, if so, I need to get a replacement one. Or the tranny might be fine and I can just install a new LSD. Anyone know of a 2005 Getrag rebuild kit? Seems that at the low end of the scale it will cost $2500 + LSD including drive shaft+ rebuild kit or used tranny if needed.

Or $3600 to get a used tranny including drive shaft and stay with the stock LSD. I can go for an OS Giken at a later date to improve the diff if I want to when funds are better..cause that will bring it up to a $5,000 repair if I include the LSD and that's too much. I think I would put that money towards a new car. I'm tapped out of $5,000 + repairs on this MINI. Sad.

How many miles did it last before the inner CV popped out the first time? I would have replaced the inner CV if the splines were chewed up upon inspection. You need those splines in A1 condition to keep the CV seated in the diff(c clip needs something to bang against to keep axle in diff). Two options then include a larger c clip or new inner CV/good used one with a new c clip of course.

A final option might be that the OBX retaining chamfering was not machined correctly which is possibly not allowing your c clip to fully relax/pop out to retain your inner CV...

Jeremy

Old 03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Sorry to hear you're at your wits end with this. If you've got access to another car and shop space you can do the work yourself for free though. It's not too hard to lower the subframe and split the gearbox from the motor.

There are no rebuild kits available for our 6 speed boxes pre or facelift that I've found.

Jeremy

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OBX LSD call out.