Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain resonator delete!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dj.papazian
Ugh I'm getting tired of these <$150 quotes. This mod can't possibly cost that much! How are you guys getting this mod done for $40? What's the trick
They're probably taking it off the car and just bringing the pipe in.

If the shop actually has to remove and re-install the pipe, you're going to get more than US$40.00 quotes.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 AM
throughthedoors
2nd Gear
Had this issue when researching doing a reso delete a while back (still haven't done it yet) so just thought I'd clarify for everyoen:

The JCW exhaust is entirely different than the stock MCS exhaust so you can't do a one-ball or anything like that.

JCW:

MCS (documenting one-ball mod, thanks to http://reviews.carreview.com/blog/mi...haust-upgrade/):

I agree that the one-ball is the smartest thing on the planet - if you have an MCS. For us with the JCW, it's not an option - hence needing the reso delete for more sound.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i think for ball they were talking about CATs... the non jcw MCS has two cats, one in the downpipe and one after the downpipe... the JCW has only 1, in the downpipe itself...

Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
Originally Posted by throughthedoors
Had this issue when researching doing a reso delete a while back (still haven't done it yet) so just thought I'd clarify for everyoen:

The JCW exhaust is entirely different than the stock MCS exhaust so you can't do a one-ball or anything like that.

JCW:

MCS (documenting one-ball mod, thanks to http://reviews.carreview.com/blog/mi...haust-upgrade/):

I agree that the one-ball is the smartest thing on the planet - if you have an MCS. For us with the JCW, it's not an option - hence needing the reso delete for more sound.
Sorry man, the pics you posted are R53 and R56. The R56 S has the same exhaust as the JCW R56 except the JCW should be a bit different with the resonator and cats I am uncertain if the JCW is a different diameter than the S as well.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
throughthedoors
2nd Gear
Nooo way - all that time spent figuring this out and all that was established was I'm a ******* [edit: this was a naughty word for moron] where's the forehead slap icon.

Sorry about the misinfo!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by david in germany
The R56 S has the same exhaust as the JCW R56 except the JCW should be a bit different with the resonator and cats I am uncertain if the JCW is a different diameter than the S as well.
The JCW has one cat and R56 S has two. I am pretty sure the diameter of the pipe is the same.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Jarid
The JCW has one cat and R56 S has two. I am pretty sure the diameter of the pipe is the same.
Yep, one less cat is what I meant by difference.
I wish someone knew if the actual muffler was different as well.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
So when you by a JCW exhaust, all you are getting is the muffler? Or the entire system catback?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
I went to the local Vegas Dub shop and had my resonator cut on my stock 07 exhaust for $50... Didnt take 45 minutes. Oh they where definetly able to cut and weld with the exhaust on the car. Dont listen to the shop that told you they had to remove the entire exhaust. Good luck man.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Xeraux
They're probably taking it off the car and just bringing the pipe in.

If the shop actually has to remove and re-install the pipe, you're going to get more than US$40.00 quotes.
Originally Posted by Sketch
I went to the local Vegas Dub shop and had my resonator cut on my stock 07 exhaust for $50... Didnt take 45 minutes. Oh they where definetly able to cut and weld with the exhaust on the car. Dont listen to the shop that told you they had to remove the entire exhaust. Good luck man.
I don't know how else to put it... they take it off the car, or TELL you they are, yer getting ripped off. Thanks for more of the same Sketch. How do you like it?

Originally Posted by david in germany
Yep, one less cat is what I meant by difference.
I wish someone knew if the actual muffler was different as well.
Can't speak for the R56 JCW, but my R55 JCW mufflers are different than the S. I'd venture to say it's different in the R56 JCW as well.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R56 JCW mufflers are different than the cooper s mufflers

Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
There it is... they definitely sound different! More sound is coming from this R56 JCW loaner I have than my R55 JCW did stock. Maybe cause I'm closer to it than the R55 or more flow from one muffler instead of two. *shrugs*

I can see why some of you may be content with the factory... other than I can't hear it when it idles form inside the car (so I'd do it anyway), but there's no question for an R55 IMO.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
R56 JCW mufflers are different than the cooper s mufflers
Correct me if im wrong but isnt cutting through an exhaust pipe the same job whether its a JCW or S?

And LiLReD1 I like the sound much better. To me, it should have sounded this way from the beginning. Not even close to obnoxious. But there is a heightened sporty tone. Plus more burbles, especially in the cold (of course).

Old 01-12-2010, 01:54 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
after looking at the one ball mod, has anyone just joined a the base of the T?[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by miniwheels; 01-12-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: picture added
Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
You mean eliminating the right side? Or putting a T or Y pipe where yer circle is?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 AM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
yes and no, just bypass, a short piece of pipe T like, leave the muffler there, (sort of like a silencer on a intake) my thoughts are it would be deeper sounding then the 1 ball, i have done a similar thing on my c5 corvette, at idle almost stock sound just when you take of it takes the path of least resisitance, just a thought, also will keep the exhaust balanced, noted some comments of it tilting the tip and moving around.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...ust-cheap.html

check it out

Last edited by miniwheels; 01-14-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
I see what yer saying, but T-ing it off right there would cause some serious resistance, let alone what's to say it won't try and go to the right instead of left? Sounds like a lot of work for really nothing but a possible loss of power via gain of restriction. I'm assuming yer also keeping the factory pipe that sends it to the right muffler correct?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 AM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
i am trying, how about just hole threw the back side of the muffler go direct to the tip? there is room to clear the battery and it is heat sheilded. just need to see inside that muffler to find its passages,

Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
Well this setup is for an R53 anyway, so kinda irrelevant in this thread... but I think this is more what yer trying to accomplish in the red based on the link you sent me.

Attached Thumbnails resonator delete!-oneball-mod.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
So everyone on this thread says that they are spending less than $100 bucks to get there resonator deleted and then a straight pipe welded in. That to me is a little far fetched. I mean if you aren't getting flanges put on the existing system, on the straight pipe, and on the resonator then maybe you are getting it done for under $100. If this is not the case for you, how does someone weld a nice bead around the pipe without removing it from the car itself. Seems to me that that the overall job or rather workmanship would be shitty.

Everyone also keeps saying if you are being quoted for more than $150.00 then you are being ripped. Again are you getting Merchants Tire or Mr. Tire to accomplish this for you? Not me!! I would never let these guys touch my R56. Half of them are just high school guys looking to pay the rent. They don't care about workmanship or that fact that they should satisfy the customer... That is a no go. Plus the pipe is probably not stainless steel. If I get my res deleted I would want the straight pipe to match the system.

Here is my quote/break down of the labor and parts from IAG. They mainly deal with Soobies and Evos, but I trust them more over than any other nonchalant mechanic.

6 Flanges: $7.99 a piece
2ft of Stainless Steel Straight Pipe: $50.00
2hrs of Labor: $150.00 (removing the system from the car)
Tax - .06%: $14.87

Total: $262.81

Sure this seems like too much money to get the res deleted, get flanges welded/installed on the existing system, resonator, and straight. But if I want it done good and I hope to gain more sound/loudness then I will spend what it cost. (If it doesn't really give me more sound or sounds bad, then I guess I wasted $250 and 2 hours in my day). We have all wasted money to try something new, I am willing to take this chance. If this is the case then I will put my res back on.

Again if you are getting a res deleted and a straight permanently welded in for good, then maybe it will cost $100. Would like to hear what you guys have to say, and I am sure that you will all say that this is too much money to spend for a simple mod (that I could do myself, but rather not since I don't have the necessary tools) and that I should look elsewhere, but I don't trust anyone elsewhere. I mean I could call up Mach V and see what they will charge but it would probably cost the same after driving to and from Sterling, VA (3 hours total drive ).

Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a very old thread. I removed two resonators in my previous A6 avant. $50 for each, two separate visits. They cut it, and put on a slip fit pipe over it. You use a pipe expander to open the ends. Depending on the type of welder, this can all be done while still on the car. Yes it'd be easier when taking it off, but my A6 was done on the car. This was at menieke, a chain muffler shop.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Blue Scapegoat
1st Gear
Stopped by Monro for a quote. $150 for just the resonator removed, and a section of stainless welded in.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry but unless I missed the boat, what's the way to go on a non-JCW car, just a MCS R 55.........resonator and 2nd cat delete or resonator delete or 2nd cat delete??? I'm confused. Couple of you guys sound like you have JCWs without the second cat already. I'm leaning towards the cat delete for flow reasons to get my R55 closer to the JCW setup.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
So everyone on this thread says that they are spending less than $100 bucks to get there resonator deleted and then a straight pipe welded in. That to me is a little far fetched. I mean if you aren't getting flanges put on the existing system, on the straight pipe, and on the resonator then maybe you are getting it done for under $100. If this is not the case for you, how does someone weld a nice bead around the pipe without removing it from the car itself. Seems to me that that the overall job or rather workmanship would be shitty.

Everyone also keeps saying if you are being quoted for more than $150.00 then you are being ripped. Again are you getting Merchants Tire or Mr. Tire to accomplish this for you? Not me!! I would never let these guys touch my R56. Half of them are just high school guys looking to pay the rent. They don't care about workmanship or that fact that they should satisfy the customer... That is a no go. Plus the pipe is probably not stainless steel. If I get my res deleted I would want the straight pipe to match the system.

Here is my quote/break down of the labor and parts from IAG. They mainly deal with Soobies and Evos, but I trust them more over than any other nonchalant mechanic.

6 Flanges: $7.99 a piece
2ft of Stainless Steel Straight Pipe: $50.00
2hrs of Labor: $150.00 (removing the system from the car)
Tax - .06%: $14.87

Total: $262.81

Sure this seems like too much money to get the res deleted, get flanges welded/installed on the existing system, resonator, and straight. But if I want it done good and I hope to gain more sound/loudness then I will spend what it cost. (If it doesn't really give me more sound or sounds bad, then I guess I wasted $250 and 2 hours in my day). We have all wasted money to try something new, I am willing to take this chance. If this is the case then I will put my res back on.

Again if you are getting a res deleted and a straight permanently welded in for good, then maybe it will cost $100. Would like to hear what you guys have to say, and I am sure that you will all say that this is too much money to spend for a simple mod (that I could do myself, but rather not since I don't have the necessary tools) and that I should look elsewhere, but I don't trust anyone elsewhere. I mean I could call up Mach V and see what they will charge but it would probably cost the same after driving to and from Sterling, VA (3 hours total drive ).

Borrowed my buddies GoPro Hero2 cam and finally made 2 clips of my Invidia System with Res delete.
Here they are if you want to hear the difference. When you go to youtube you can just look at my clips with the res on and w/o and hear for yourself. Let me know what you guys think.

1st Run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE4OHr6FS1A

2nd Run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_wt...hannel&list=UL

Old 05-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Shop did mine for $125, out the door (also needed a new hanger for my muffler), but they quoted me the $125 over the phone. They seem to do a decent amount of them. Cut, weld in new pipe, hang back up. Though I was a bit disappointed with not much of a volume increase. Non the less, its done.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain resonator delete!