Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Defenders of Speed Vs DDMWorks

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the DDM and the DOS, they are both good. One thing that made me switch away from the DDM was the air intake part that attaches to the underside of the hood is made of metal and sits about an inch above the turbo. It gets VERY hot and almost defeated the idea by heating up the air, the DOS does not have that problem.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
glad to help... btw, if you seriously want the DDMWorks and are worried about the heat up Chakraj mentioned, you can basically get a stick on heat shield and put it on the hood scoop section. exhaust wrapping and a second heat shield could help that as well.... here's some of the stuff i was talkin bout...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-13575/?rtype=10

Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
plus the air is going through that so fast it has minimal time to heat up.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM
n0mis
2nd Gear
Question? Looking at the pics from the DoS, seems like the end touches at the back. Does it touch?

Thanks,
Jorge
DS 07 MCS

Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by n0mis
Question? Looking at the pics from the DoS, seems like the end touches at the back. Does it touch?

Thanks,
Jorge
DS 07 MCS
One of the CAI's air inlets actually passes through the bulkhead panel at the rear of the engine bay to pull air from the vents at the base of the windshield. It requires modifying your bulkhead panel, buying a modified bulkhead panel from DoS, or ordering an extra bulkhead panel from your dealer and modifying that part.

Don't hesitate to PM or email me if you have any more questions.

-Clint

Old 05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
krim
5th Gear
i used reflective alum tape
even after sitting in traffic, i can easily put my hand on the spot right above the turbo when i get home.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:45 PM
n0mis
2nd Gear
Clint, Sorry for being so ignorant but it seems like it requires quite a bit of work to get a new panel make the cuts, ext. Just curious, what's the cost? But yes I will check the DoS website.

Thanks,
Jorge

Old 05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
n0mis
2nd Gear
Will DoS be at MITM?

Jorge

Old 05-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Clint, Sorry for being so ignorant but it seems like it requires quite a bit of work to get a new panel make the cuts, ext. Just curious, what's the cost? But yes I will check the DoS website.

Thanks,
Jorge
Will DoS be at MITM?

Jorge
Hi Jorge,

I'll let others viewing this thread comment on the ease of installation and the route that they took to modify the bulkhead panels that they used. DoS has complete, well illustrated instructions in the installation guide that we send along with every CAI unit to make this process as straightforward as possible. We even offer a hole saw loaner program for the hardcore DIY crowd.

Dos will be at MITM 5. If you'd like anything installed, I can add you to our (now growing) installs list for the event.

Thanks for your interest.

-Clint

Old 05-28-2010, 02:59 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,
Jorge
Get the pre-drilled bulkhead from DoS and do the install yourself. I had a friend help but in retrospect its not that hard. Clint sends excellent directions with pictures too . Follow the directions and take it nice and slow and you will do just fine.

it is definitely worth it. It's one of the best mods on my car if not THE best.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:02 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Its easy, maybe a one out of five on the scale, and they have a cutting tool they will send you with a deposit. however if you have the extra cash just buy their pre drilled one.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dunphyj
Now for those of you who haven't really seen... the actual gains from an intake on the R56 are pretty minimal…
Originally Posted by onefish2
So, minimal gains, but possibly the best mod on your car… I'm confused.
Is it just the sound that makes it "best"?

Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
I am happy with it. Looks great under the hood. Sounds awesome. Extra power... maybe. I like it. That's it.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
typically speaking, the designs that go into stock manufacturing of an intake system now a days are very high tech and it's almost never necessary to actually change anything except maybe to a K&N filter for more flow. i mean think about it... the stock airbox is used on JCWs and compared to the now R56 (not the refresh) that's a good 40 hp more that the same airbox can support and you never hear of how an intake makes the biggest gains. all the power mods are Intercooler, Exhaust, and a Tune on our cars.

On the flip side, Any intake can be made to make more power, the whole "hot air intake" thing is only really true in stop and go traffic and school zones, above 30 mph there's more than enough air coming in the front of the car to remove all hot air... it's like heating up a house with the windows open in the middle of a blizzard and then deciding to remove one side of the house... Anyway it's true you have to get a tune to get the most out of an intake in most situations. Modifying the stock airbox is usually your best bet.

the pros to having an aftermarket intake is you LOOK more modded, feel more modded, you hear everything so you feel like you have more power cuz you can hear the turbo spool and the recirc valve open. So most intakes without a tune or supporting mods are feel good mods. IMHO i think that my exhaust is my best mod at this point. i love the sounds it makes and once i get a tune i'll think that's the best! if if anything intakes look pretty

Old 09-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dunphyj
Now for those of you who haven't really seen... the actual gains from an intake on the R56 are pretty minimal…
When you're talking peak torque gains, yes. When you're talking peak Hp torque gains, no.

Originally Posted by onefish2
So, minimal gains, but possibly the best mod on your car…

As you see in the chart above comparing the DoS CAI with the stock airbox on an R56 MCS (with a stock tune). There are nice Hp and torque gains to be had in the midrange as well as the upper range Hp gains mentioned above. This is the range that we use the most anyway on the street and on club runs.

A CAI (along with a better intercooler and exhaust), can be a great building block toward maximizing the effectiveness of an all-important future ECU tune. Just remember that peak Hp and torque gains aren't squat for everyday fun unless you can also make gains down low as well.

-Clint

Last edited by Mini'mon; 09-05-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Typo in Hp & torque description . . .
Old 09-05-2010, 05:50 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Very nice usable gains!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
basil49
3rd Gear
decided on DoS

Just installed mine, with the (new, improved, second-generation) baffle included -- a solid piece of engineering, well-written instructions, and the new experience of moderate "induction noise" now to help validate what the butt-dyno is telling me: it goes faster ...

Last edited by basil49; 10-25-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: now installed!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 PM
EcoHeliGuy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Stig One
Clint

Sign me up for baffle/audio filter a.s.a.p.

I am sick of driving the X6 when taking the ball and chain to dinner.
So I have some questions on both the DDMworks and the DoS.

I saw it mentioned briefly above about heat with the DDM, can any one give first hand experience on Heat at the hood scoop? I would think that a) the air channel would block some radiant heat. And b) that the air traveling through the Air channel would keep temps low as well.

Second question would be for anyone that drives in some of the snowier parts of the world. I know that the area air is being drawn from on the DoS system usually gets blocked solid all winter with packed snow and ice. Meaning it would starve of Air? Also If I was to get the Butterfly valve add-on this would also have a chance of freezing at the hinge?

Both products look A1 by the way, I always enjoy excellent workmen ship and great costumer relations.

Last edited by EcoHeliGuy; 11-30-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: correct spelling is a second language
Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
EcoHeliGuy
2nd Gear
I just noticed what looks like a second air passage inside the engine compartment that fix's both questions on the DoS system in case of freezing and air blockage.

Still would like first hand experince on temps with the DDM system.

Last edited by EcoHeliGuy; 11-30-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: correct spelling is a second language
Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by EcoHeliGuy
I just noticed what looks like a second air passage inside the engine compartment that fix's both questions on the DoS system in case of freezing and air blockage.

Still would like first hanh experince on temps with the DDM system.
It gets hot... But not anymore than usual... The metal doesnt seem to be as quick to dissipate heat...

Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by EcoHeliGuy

Still would like first hand experince on temps with the DDM system.
Yeah, the DoS system continues to use the stock inlet coming from the front corner under the hood.

My main reason for installing the DoS intake was to make some room for a couple catch cans against that back wall. I've found that I'm not a big fan of the DoS sound, and have wondered at times if blocking off the baffled inlet completely would still give the same performance as the stock air box through that original inlet while silencing the sucking.

Don't know if I really care enough to do that, though.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
. . . I've found that I'm not a big fan of the DoS sound, and have wondered at times if blocking off the baffled inlet completely would still give the same performance as the stock air box through that original inlet while silencing the sucking.

Don't know if I really care enough to do that, though.
fishbert,

We'll be offering a main inlet plug for around town driving in early 2011. This is mainly for drivers that want a quiet daily driver, but want the advantages of a CAI at track days, HPDE's, & MINI Club Events.

The main inlet plug makes for a torquier feel when driving around town, but it limits your overall torque and HP gains by 2-to-5hp. Just remove the plug and you're back in business at the track with all the benefits of the DoS CAI system.

-Clint

Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Nice! I will definitely be watching for that. Hope it's easy to install/remove without taking out the whole intake.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
fishbert,

We'll be offering a main inlet plug for around town driving in early 2011. This is mainly for drivers that want a quiet daily driver, but want the advantages of a CAI at track days, HPDE's, & MINI Club Events.

The main inlet plug makes for a torquier feel when driving around town, but it limits your overall torque and HP gains by 2-to-5hp. Just remove the plug and you're back in business at the track with all the benefits of the DoS CAI system.

-Clint
Upon further review, I hope this inlet plug will be a little more robust than the baffle seems to be.

https://i.imgur.com/YNTat.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rPFdX.jpg

-------

EDIT: The above was written literally 5-10 minutes after discovering the problem (and I had been fighting with something else under the hood before that). My words were chosen from a place of frustration, and come off more harsh than the issue or the company deserve.

Yes, it was disappointing to find this issue, but DoS has been nothing but a pleasure to work with, and despite this one unfortunate occurrence (which they appear to be on top of), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them and their products to others -- it's been my experience that you can't do much better than DoS.

I want to be clear that my initial words above cast DoS, their top-of-the-line products, and their excellent customer support in an unfair light.

Last edited by fishbert; 12-13-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Upon further review, I hope this inlet plug will be a little more robust than the baffle seems to be.
Fishbert,

Our manufacturer is using a foam seal material that has a different adhesive than the Gen II noise baffle prototypes that we made in-house. We'll hold them accountable and change this on future units to the same material as the protos.

I'll make sure that we get you fixed-up with a new seal. We have plenty of the same stuff we used on the prototypes here + ready to go, (so we can get your baffle shipped back to you ASAP). Just ship it to us. We'll get you fixed-up free of charge (+ a new strip of mounting tape & free return shipping). This also goes for any other customers that experience this problem with the Gen II noise baffles.

In the future, just drop us an email or give us a call if you have a problem with any DoS part. As our customers know, we have no problem with helping them out and taking responsibility for our products. They paid good money for what DoS makes and we want them to be happy.

Thanks,

-Clint

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Defenders of Speed Vs DDMWorks