Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What to do with 3grand

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with 3grand

So i just came into 3 grand and my wife told me to spend it all on my car (i thought it was a trick to). But she was serious. So now i have to come up with a game plan to "wisely" spend the money. This is what i have come up with so far.

WMW intake 450
ED downpipe fited to stock exhaust 300-400
U-chip w/ 7th gen harnes 800
Alta boost tubes 300
Heat shield (all are the same) 100-200

I am not looking to make the car so fast i cant drive it i just want to go faster. She's still under warranty and i dont want to go crazy so thats why i have chosen some "tamer mods" Any suggestions to add to or take away?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Ditch the uni-chip

Get it dyno tuned

Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
D Unit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 grand on no RMW tune in there?! WTH? What about suspension?

If it were me...

RMW tune by Jan $800
NM Engineering Intake (I have DDM, but this one looks sweet) $409
Exhaust Depot DP and exhaust

Exhaust Depot DP and exhaust

Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^Done Deal!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Send it to me

Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Based on the photos you posted of the wife about a year ago, I suggest a zoom lens for your camera.

Seriously, a very attractive young lady who suggests you spend $3,000 on YOUR car... you caught a good one there.

Agree with the idea of the CAI, the Uni-chip, and a RMW tune.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I am selling my Unichip with the gen 25 harness, its only $350.00 that means more money to spend on stuff. Or to send to me

Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Instead of the Unichip, strongly consider a custom dyno-tune from RMW. Jan tours the country and may be tuning in a shop near you in the coming year. There are lots of threads you can check out to see how these individual city dyno tuning sessions go.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:25 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Man you guys are making it really hard for me to sell this thing so I can get an RMW tune

Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BrandonH
So i just came into 3 grand and my wife told me to spend it all on my car (i thought it was a trick to). But she was serious. So now i have to come up with a game plan to "wisely" spend the money. This is what i have come up with so far.

WMW intake 450
ED downpipe fited to stock exhaust 300-400
U-chip w/ 7th gen harnes 800
Alta boost tubes 300
Heat shield (all are the same) 100-200

I am not looking to make the car so fast i cant drive it i just want to go faster. She's still under warranty and i dont want to go crazy so thats why i have chosen some "tamer mods" Any suggestions to add to or take away?
No to the uni-chip...it will curse you and your motor.

Heat shield, I would go with WMW Turbo Wrap and even an m7 to go over it...ultimate setup. WMW, stock, and m7 working together.

If your not looking to go crazy fast, your stock plumbing is fine, but the silicone tubing would work great too. My advice, buy it used, way cheaper and people are always selling...or get hard piping from Hector or NM Eng.

You say you don't want speed, but yet you went as far ahead to say you want a unichip. In that case, either invest in a quality exhaust setup and upgrade to the ddmworks RIS...or get a dyno tune with your stock setup.

If I could do it over with 3 grand...I would wait and do much more research than I had... :shrug: oh well...

Happy modding!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
I like the uni chip only for what it is. If Jan came through Houston and/or offered a standard through the mail tuned ecu then i would jump on that. I do love the responses, so far good info and inciteful . As far as the exhaust i dont want alot of noise just for 5 or 6 usable hp. i wanted to keep the cars note "very civil" thats why i was on the mind set to just do a dp to the stock system (might even do a butterfly valve between the 2). I would just hate my self if i bought an exhaust and the drone drove me crazy.

Last edited by BrandonH; 05-08-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
The drone won't bother you once you hear the growl and the burble.

I wouldn't put an aftermarket exhaust on our convertible, but the next tintop I buy, exhaust will be the first mod.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
The ALTA Full Exhaust doesn't drone much at all... unless you drive 95mph constantly all the time, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway. 80mph cruise control and you won't hear it hardly.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
Location: Orlando, my house is in fortlauderdale and im originally from da bronx
Wait hold up, hold up production here! Everyone who posted after you missed the BIG PICTURE!

Ok, let me get this straight. You came up on a good amount of loot and your wife told you for the most part "honey just go buy what ever you like for your car."

Ok, ok here is the question of the hr. Does she have a hot young sister?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 PM
VeganBrian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Exhaust Depot
Wait hold up, hold up production here! Everyone who posted after you missed the BIG PICTURE!

Ok, let me get this straight. You came up on a good amount of loot and your wife told you for the most part "honey just go buy what ever you like for your car."

Ok, ok here is the question of the hr. Does she have a hot young sister?

hahahhahahaha

Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like you chose all HP mods, what about the suspension?? You get alot of bang for the buck with a rear swaybar.

As for HP Downpipe and exhaust is good power, and a custom tune will be the way to go. I've had great results with our tunes on the R56, there is alot of power in the ECU.
Otherwise do those then decide what you want. If you need more power after that, or braking, or more suspension.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
I've had great results with our tunes on the R56, there is alot of power in the ECU.
Otherwise do those then decide what you want. If you need more power after that, or braking, or more suspension.
You never answered me in the other thread....what do you use to tune the R56?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You can do a whole Alta set up for 3k (intake, boost tubes, turbo pipe, intercooler, dp and exhaust) maybe just over 3k but close

Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
maybe i'm the only one who feels this way, but i'd do suspension and minor bolt-ons, and consider an RMW tune in the near future.

in stock form, the car has some get-up-and-go. You didn't buy a mini to have a straight line drag car or you'd have bought something completely different.

I say, drop it on some bc coils, get a rear sway, rear lower control arm, alta PSRS, intake, downpipe, heatshield. done. i think that's all under 3 grand, well, not installed.

then consider boost tubes, intercooler, etc. in the future if you feel the power you gain from the minor bolt-ons and an RMW tune just isn't cutting it. I just think for the first bunch of mods, suspension is much more bang-for-the-buck.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
I would slip a set of VMAXXs in that shopping list man! Seriously that and an RMW tune, and your done.

EDIT: Just do what Mr.dwf said :D

Old 05-09-2009, 12:08 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I say take about a grand and spend it on your wife. She gave you the green light but if you spend all 3K on car parts without thinking about her, this might not happen again. But if you spend 1K on her, chances of her giving you the green light to do this again is more likely.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
I say take about a grand and spend it on your wife. She gave you the green light but if you spend all 3K on car parts without thinking about her, this might not happen again. But if you spend 1K on her, chances of her giving you the green light to do this again is more likely.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
Smart man.

If this board had a Reputation Point System like another board I post on, you'd be getting huge points for that post.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:44 AM
got.pho?
4th Gear
or buy everything used like someone said. cough i have hot pipe and intake for sale cough.

but anyways, def go tune if your going to do anything! or a set of nice wheels and sick suspension!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
sorry off topic, what part of houston are you from?