Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain GP Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GP Intercooler

So I know its been asked before but does anyone know of a source for a GP intercooler? I continue to check ebay but never see them. I emailed a couple of dealerships but they all tell me the same thing "Unless you have a GP you cant get one" I have found one website in Portugal which sells them, but $800 seems awfully expensive. So...anybody have a source they would be willing to give up?
Thanks!

Here is the website for the Portuguese site: http://www.miniworksportugal.com/pro...52r53-1215.cfm

Old 01-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Luys
4th Gear
I know a friend who is selling GP intercooler full kit for 850$.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:39 AM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Luys
I know a friend who is selling GP intercooler full kit for 850$.
Ouch $850? Seems like a lot...Anyone know of anything cheaper or is $800 and up the normal price?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
800 is not worth it. Stay stock and either get Meth injection, or save up a little more and get a good W2A. GP IC is a good piece, but not for 800

Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Agreed, 8 hunny is a little stiff. We bought several runs of 5 about a year ago and sold out at $675 in a hurry. Without question the GP intercooler is the best air to air solution and althought it won't perform like a W2A in the short term, I still like the simplicity and quick temperature recovery of the A2A. I don't have tons of experience with the available water to air intercoolers for MINIs, but there is a risk of pretty severe heat soak under heavy, prolonged use.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Supply and demand...

when they first came out they could be had for a bit over 6 bills. but now most of the sources have gone dry, so the few that are out there command more $.

Save the money for a head.

Matt

Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drsilvermini

Here is the website for the Portuguese site: http://www.miniworksportugal.com/pro...52r53-1215.cfm
The Portuguese site is a thief, cheat and liar. Used to be in the states but he got run out of town. Do a search on "MINI Works" here on NAM for some horror stories.

Might want to try some Brit sources, they sometimes have them and with pound at about it's lowest point ever vs the dollar you might be able to get a good buy.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM
2mD
2nd Gear
i ordered mine about ~1,5 years ago from a mini dealer here @ germany, ~350€ for everything ( intercooler, intercoolercover, bonnet cover, 2 mounting points )

sounds like the price has gone way up since then

Old 01-22-2009, 09:02 AM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2mD
i ordered mine about ~1,5 years ago from a mini dealer here @ germany, ~350€ for everything ( intercooler, intercoolercover, bonnet cover, 2 mounting points )

sounds like the price has gone way up since then
Do they still offer that price?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 AM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gnatster
The Portuguese site is a thief, cheat and liar. Used to be in the states but he got run out of town. Do a search on "MINI Works" here on NAM for some horror stories.

Might want to try some Brit sources, they sometimes have them and with pound at about it's lowest point ever vs the dollar you might be able to get a good buy.
Thank you Gnatster! I looked at all the threads involving Miniworks, including the one you posted. I will definitely stay away from them!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
2mD
2nd Gear
Do they still offer that price?
you should get that price @ any mini dealer ( ok, i got 10% off... )
i just e-mailed him the part numbers and he sold them to me ( without asking if i even had a GP )

but i guess they ( mini ) changed their policy since they dont have many parts left....

Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2mD
i just e-mailed him the part numbers and he sold them to me ( without asking if i even had a GP )

but i guess they ( mini ) changed their policy since they dont have many parts left....
I have tried emailing many dealerships and they all tell me they need I need to have a GP and give them a vin number

Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 AM
FlipSmini
2nd Gear
WMWRE93596YB72199

that is a gp vin..........

Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the OP: regardless of the price (even thought Dr Obnxs observations of scarcity earn him an honorary degree in economics...) are you really running enough HP, or stressing your car in such conditions that warrant a GP IC over the stock unit? There's surely enough evidence that the IC is *not* one of the critical areas for our cars. If a better IC existed, it only recaptures lost HP under certain conditions, it doesn't produce any more. A cam/head/header/exhaust/tune will produce significant increases in HP that you will then need to spend lots of $$s for suspension, wheels/tires and brakes to control.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by 2mD

I have tried emailing many dealerships and they all tell me they need I need to have a GP and give them a vin number
Therein lies the difference... Germany vs. USA. MINIUSA are the ones with the super-restrictive policy on GP-specific parts.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:07 PM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
To the OP: regardless of the price (even thought Dr Obnxs observations of scarcity earn him an honorary degree in economics...) are you really running enough HP, or stressing your car in such conditions that warrant a GP IC over the stock unit? There's surely enough evidence that the IC is *not* one of the critical areas for our cars. If a better IC existed, it only recaptures lost HP under certain conditions, it doesn't produce any more. A cam/head/header/exhaust/tune will produce significant increases in HP that you will then need to spend lots of $$s for suspension, wheels/tires and brakes to control.
Well I have an alta exhaust and waiting for a tune to install my rmw cam. A head costs way to much and I dont want the extra noise with a header. Coilovers are too expensive and I dont want to spoil the ride quality. I already have a larger rear sway bar and am very happy with it. I have upgraded the brakes with tsw rotors stainless steel lines and carbotech pads. Im considering either a custom w2a intercooler or a gp intercooler.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
I agree with DrPhil...

...as an FYI for the OP, there are a couple(literally) in the country. There is one at a PDC on the west coast, and one at a PDC on the east coast...you would just have to find a dealer that will order it for you.

BTW, there are 157 of them in Germany.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Anyone know who actually manufactures the GP IC?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:20 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FlipSmini
WMWRE93596YB72199

that is a gp vin..........
Is this your car?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by //MZero
800 is not worth it. Stay stock and either get Meth injection, or save up a little more and get a good W2A. GP IC is a good piece, but not for 800
Agreed - I *almost* got a buddy in Germany to source one for me... but it was still going to be over $500US... since my car isn't going to be a 250HP beast, it just didn't make sense... I'm going the meth injection route instead... which will probably do even better in Dragon-heat-soak-management...

Old 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
big howe
5th Gear
On the MINI, putting a proper water sprayer on the stock A2A will out perform any aftermarket A2A under heavy load and heatsoak conditions. There is a source that makes load/temp based sensing modules to control the spray.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
LüDICRöüS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jaridp
Is this your car?
Is it really as easy as taking a VIN and claiming it to be yours? Because if thats the case you can use the for-sale ads in AutoTrader.com and Cars.com

I doubt thats the case though.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:50 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Partsman
I agree with DrPhil...

...as an FYI for the OP, there are a couple(literally) in the country. There is one at a PDC on the west coast, and one at a PDC on the east coast...you would just have to find a dealer that will order it for you.

BTW, there are 157 of them in Germany.
Last time my parts source tried to order one MINI USA wanted a core sent to them before they would release one. You also could not order through the regular parts system. There was and maybe still is a person in NJ that all GP had to go through.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
frenchyjohnmini
1st Gear

Gnaster, would you mind sharing the link to the thread with these alleged "horror stories"?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:45 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Anyone know who actually manufactures the GP IC?
I ask again, who makes this IC? What is so special about it? Why can't any coil manufacturer make one the same? It is only 2 rows larger correct? Are the passages special? Is the fin design special? What gives?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain GP Intercooler