North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain RMW Water/Meth kit (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/161508-rmw-water-meth-kit.html)

big howe 06-11-2009 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bazer (Post 2792826)
What happens if you accidently run out of meth/water?
Will it hurt the engine?
Would be nice to only occasionally use the kit (only during summer, track days, etc.) so is that possible?

My suggestion would be that if you wanted to be tuned for the injection to get the biggest benefit, and not run the system all the time, you would get the RMW flash tool and put a non-meth flash back on the car.

mini_racer 06-12-2009 07:50 AM

Tell us how that flash tool works. I do not believe you can changes the map on the fly, meaning you have to be stopped, engine off, and then upload the alternate map via some kind of device that has a small amount of memory, and connected to the OBDII port. So, you would have to remove your ScanGauge or any other gauge/OBD monitoring you may have plugged in.
It should only take a few minutes to swap maps.

Just guessing here mosly, tell us what you know about the RMW flash tool and the procedure to swap maps big howe.

big howe 06-12-2009 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by mini_racer (Post 2793807)
Tell us how that flash tool works. I do not believe you can changes the map on the fly, meaning you have to be stopped, engine off, and then upload the alternate map via some kind of device that has a small amount of memory, and connected to the OBDII port. So, you would have to remove your ScanGauge or any other gauge/OBD monitoring you may have plugged in.
It should only take a few minutes to swap maps.

Just guessing here mosly, tell us what you know about the RMW flash tool and the procedure to swap maps big howe.

You are pretty much correct. The tool holds 3 maps. You have to turn the car off, plug the tool into the OBD port, and then choose which map to upload. I haven't formally timed it but I would guess 60-90 seconds to upload. Jan can arrange the maps for your application, I have the flash tool but not all the maps, I'm waiting for him to finish running around the country. Mine will probably look like this

1. non-meth map
2. Meth map for 91 octane
3. Meth map for 100 octane

mini_racer 06-12-2009 08:53 AM

Ok thanks, that seems like an excellent map plan.,

BTW, what does this device look like, how big, etc? Can you store it in the glove box, small enough for that? Just need OBD, and is powered through that?

big howe 06-12-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mini_racer (Post 2793860)
Ok thanks, that seems like an excellent map plan.,

BTW, what does this device look like, how big, etc? Can you store it in the glove box, small enough for that? Just need OBD, and is powered through that?

It's like a small game console, maybe 6" wide, 5" tall, and 1.5" thick. It easily fits in the glove box and is powered off the OBD port.

mini_racer 06-12-2009 12:24 PM

Holy crap, that is huge. I was expecting something maybe 25% of that size, damn. When does the next rev of that come out, that will be significantly smaller?

At least it gets power from the OBD port, good for that.

BlimeyCabrio 06-12-2009 12:29 PM

Uh.....and it matters... because????

It's not a cell phone. :lol: :wink:

big howe 06-12-2009 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mini_racer (Post 2794056)
Holy crap, that is huge. I was expecting something maybe 25% of that size, damn. When does the next rev of that come out, that will be significantly smaller?

At least it gets power from the OBD port, good for that.

Well, I may have estimated big, I'd have to go measure. It has a big LCD screen on it and I think 4 buttons for choosing different options and such. I'm not sure if it reads and clears codes too, I'd have to look it up.

Hey, you take what you can get, it ain't no shark injector but it gets the job done and at least it goes in the glove box, unlike a laptop. To be fair, I have to really cram it in the glove box because thats where all the Innovate equipment resides, it's getting pretty crowded.:lol:

mini_racer 06-12-2009 01:00 PM

Well, you might want to keep the tool with you at all times such that you can swap maps if say..... You run out of Meth and have many miles to go before you can get a fill and are not close to home and the flash tool. The smaller the box the better you can keep it in the car.

Phone size you be great. In fact, an Iphone app would be optimal.

BlimeyCabrio 06-12-2009 01:09 PM

I was just messin with ya'. I know smaller is better for some things...

But as long as it's smaller than a laptop... and will fit in the boot or under a seat or.... I always have a duffle bag full of tools, scan tools, a jack, a compressor, detailing stuff, etc. in my boot.... so for me, one more thing this size just doesn't matter.

ClintTheMiniOwner 06-12-2009 06:55 PM

Yeah its about the size of a gameboy. It does erase engine codes.

mini_racer 06-12-2009 07:19 PM

Pics please...............