Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Happyness factor with aftermarket ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:59 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Happyness factor with aftermarket ECU

I wanted to open a new thread regarding the ECU. It's been out for a few months, and after reading the current ECU thread, I see mixed success. I don't want this thread to be thread for vendor worship or Flaming, I just want to know if it's worth the investment.

For those who have the ECU, I have three questions

1) Are you still using the ECU?
2) Are you reaping the benefits that you thought you would get?
3) If you car was stolen, and you bought a new mini to replace it, would you buy another ECU kit for your new Mini?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockridge
For those who have the ECU, I have three questions

3) If you car was stolen, and you bought a new mini to replace it, would you buy another ECU kit for your new Mini?
1)I have the Unichip, as of today yes still using it, but I am having issues, not sure just yet what the issues is
2)yes, it has great power
3)no, I would go another route, probably look at some flash type of programming. It would save me time when taking the mini in to the dealer and having to remove the chip everytime..

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM
samroberto
3rd Gear
1) have JCW ecu
2) Getting excellent power that I had wishfully hoped for but didn't think I'd get THIS much, but, I did
3) hmm... Probably, the JCW is excellent, has great power and was very well engineered. If my car was stolen I'd probably get go JCW again but maybe a different, *slightly* louder exhaust. (i suppose I still can at some point)

Old 09-12-2008, 10:21 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unichip and yes still running it.
More power --> Yes
Issue free power, from what I consider a moderate step ---> No
Flexibility and adaptability to tune with additional mods --> No
Absolutely not. While the unichip may suffice for simple bolt-ons, I see no way it will work to go beyond where I currently am. In fact even if the car was to stay in my garage, I do not see staying with the Unichip.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Kirkland
2nd Gear
I tried the Unichip and 3 harness generations and returned the unit. One loses peace of mind when equipment causes CELs.

If the JCW flash were available a la carte, I would buy it. If I already did not have a good aftermarket intake and turbo back exhaust, I believe I would buy the JCW kit.

I like the idea of a flawless aftermarket DME reflash if I could have a smooth power delivery and not have to floor it to turn on the afterburners as I do with the stock software.

Finally, I would start modding by adding coilovers, PSRS, a larger rear sway bar, and lighter rims/tires rather than adding power because the car is so much more stable and fun to drive with these additions.