Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Voiding Factory Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 PM
the_rainman08
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voiding Factory Warranty?

I am sure that this has been beat to death, but just curious whether you could get away with not voiding the warranty with this following 'system' of mods that Jan of RMW is suggesting...

RMW Cam
RMW Header
RMW Exhaust
15% pulley
RMW (Jan) Tune
and
Cross Coilovers

Guessing that the coilovers will not void anything.

Will i be able to sneak across any of the drivetrain mods though without them telling me the train is no longer covered?

I will also call the local mini dealer in Dallas to ask tomorrow, and will start searching threads about this...

Course, i am getting an Electric Blue 02-04, so i wont have much warranty left to void anyways...

Thanks
Randy

Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
Umm it gose like this
yes
no
no
maby
yes and
no.
hope that helps.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:28 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Dallas has a thriving MINI community and many of us modded our cars. Either dealership in the area will work with you if you work with them. Taking a blown motor for warranty work ain't gonna fly. But if a window stops working they will not have an issue. Calling either dealer is not going to tell you much. MoDallas you'll be hard pressed to even get to an SA by phone due to their structure. Moritz it's easier to get an SA on the phone and I can guarantee Eric or Bryan will tell you same thing I've said. Depends on the mods, depends on the issue.

You will get a lot more specific Dallas info on MetroplexMINI.org

Old 07-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by silversmoke06
Umm it gose like this
yes
no
no
maby
yes and
no.
hope that helps.
Dont be so quick to answer like that. I have said before that my local dealer, will "void" your entire drivetrain just for a CAI or exhaust. It depends on the dealer.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:53 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
^^^Yeah some will void it for just CAI/exhaust but that is not usually the case. My dealer doesn't care about mine. The pulley is the first mod that often sends you into voiding your warranty. Not as many dealers are as tolerable with that. Beyond pulley...you can kiss your warranty goodbye.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What warranty? You mean my car came with a warranty? Geez, if only I'd known...
Given where you are located, hang out with the local crowd and you'll have the best service you can get. Just remember, it's only money and it's yours to spend on your car. And dont be too picky with a modified car--it will rattle and make odd sounds and need constant attention--isn't that the point?

go for the mods!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
The general rule is that mod your car in any way [with the exception of cosmetic changes], you should consider your warranty void.

This is because your warranty book lays out the law. Mod your MINI [according to MINI's intentionally vague language defining a mod] the dealer will attribute a failure due to the mod and not cover the defect.

You basically are at the mercy of the SA when you take the car in. If the dealership is the type to aggressively look for any reason to deny warranty coverage, they will.

Take my M7 strut reinforcement plates. That's not even a true mod by definition. But if my struts or assemblies go out in any manner, an aggressive dealer will say that the plates are a mod and that is what caused the failure [whatever it might be.] It's then up to me to contest that, most likely in small claims court.

Because the warranty book [a contract] controls the terms of the MINI warranty, mod at your peril.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 09-02-2008 at 01:40 PM.