Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CA Header replacement due to dead Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 05:10 PM
okeeton
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA Header replacement due to dead Catalytic converter

Curious to know what others have done in Ca. when and if they have had a failed catalytic converter. Have you replaced with an after market header and catalytic converter or stuck with the Mini Header and Catalytic converter... I currently have a Milltek Cat Back Exhaust and am trying to weigh the option of staying stock on the header/Cat or going with a Milltek header/cat?

thoughts anyone?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:59 PM
enologuy
2nd Gear
I currently have the Milltek setup as well and my cat has failed (see post SES = Bad Cat). I will probably buy an aftermarket free-flow cat and have a muffler shop cut out the Milltek and weld-in the new one. This option is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole header and cat assembly which, for the Milltek, has gone up to over $1,000.
If you have the money, I have heard good things about the RMW headers.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:30 PM
K5Cruiser
4th Gear
Since you mentioned CA in the subject title, I'm going to assume your concern is passing the emissions testing. I just had a smog check done on my '02 MCS yesterday, and it passed without any problems. I have the new RMW street header and cat, with stock mufflers (soon to be changed out). I've also got the RMW head and cam and still no issues with passing emissions testing.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:47 PM
okeeton
1st Gear
Thank you for responding...

you say a muffler shop can cut out and replace the failed part... if thats the case then what is the piece that looks like its the culprit between the "lower can" and the flex joint after the collector below the header... Or is this actually the cat?

Attached
you can see the crack in the upper can on my stock Header /Cat... Can this be replaced or am I better off replacing the whole assembly? Curious to know what others have done... Fwiw my S has a 15% Alta Pulley, ported & tuned head, Shrick Cam and a Milltek Cat Bak exhaust...

Options: curently looking like the Milltek Header or the Mini-Madness Header-V2 ...thoughts or opinions (RMW while nice, is also pricey for my pocket book) like the idea of the Madness which has a bolt in Cat that looks replaceable with a straight pipe / replacement Cat...

Originally Posted by enologuy
I currently have the Milltek setup as well and my cat has failed (see post SES = Bad Cat). I will probably buy an aftermarket free-flow cat and have a muffler shop cut out the Milltek and weld-in the new one. This option is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole header and cat assembly which, for the Milltek, has gone up to over $1,000.
If you have the money, I have heard good things about the RMW headers.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by okeeton
Thank you for responding...

you say a muffler shop can cut out and replace the failed part... if thats the case then what is the piece that looks like its the culprit between the "lower can" and the flex joint after the collector below the header... Or is this actually the cat?

Attached
you can see the crack in the upper can on my stock Header /Cat... Can this be replaced or am I better off replacing the whole assembly? Curious to know what others have done... Fwiw my S has a 15% Alta Pulley, ported & tuned head, Shrick Cam and a Milltek Cat Bak exhaust...

Options: curently looking like the Milltek Header or the Mini-Madness Header-V2 ...thoughts or opinions (RMW while nice, is also pricey for my pocket book) like the idea of the Madness which has a bolt in Cat that looks replaceable with a straight pipe / replacement Cat...

just so you know.... our standard length header that we now produce are of the highest quality and are $850 which is still a better price than the 2 headers you are looking at.

Our header is the only one that has true merge collector technology in it.

the bellows are lined also and will not break, unlike the woven ones the others use. Our headers are made here in the good ol USA

Last edited by Revolution Mini Works; 04-21-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
^ So tempting but i'm strapped for cash!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 AM
enologuy
2nd Gear
okeeton,

Your attachment did not come across but the picture RMW attached shows the cat just below the flex joint. The lower can you refer to must be the resonator.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:09 AM
okeeton
1st Gear
Old 06-14-2008, 01:48 PM
K5Cruiser
4th Gear
It's a little difficult for me to tell from that pic, but if there's no damage to the cat internals, and it's simply a crack in the weld, why don't you simply clean and prep the area and re-weld it? If you don't have access to a welder, take it to a local welder to be repaired.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Myke@RPI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
just so you know.... our standard length header that we now produce are of the highest quality and are $850 which is still a better price than the 2 headers you are looking at.

Our header is the only one that has true merge collector technology in it.

the bellows are lined also and will not break, unlike the woven ones the others use. Our headers are made here in the good ol USA
im selling my drumset... how much hp can i expect to gain? over the obx with stock cat?

Last edited by Myke@RPI; 06-14-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: over the obx with stock cat
Old 06-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Myke@RPI
im selling my drumset... how much hp can i expect to gain? over the obx with stock cat?
no idea yet but we put one on a stock head yesterday and now it shreds the tires
I have some dyno charts to post with 3 GPs in differing mods all on the same dyno and day

Old 06-14-2008, 02:55 PM
okeeton
1st Gear
As I don't know if this aprt is actually the Cat, I can't determine if the internals are damaged... here's a pic of the part of the header assembly where I've circled the cracked part if you look at the previous picture link the crack is actually on the inside of what looks like a bell housing over the down pipe to the second in line can (the Catalytic Converter?) anyways, I was hoping someone who knew what all the different pieces of the assembly are on the stock header/cat, might be able to weigh in and say... "its fixable" or "not." Whether or not having cracked it once whether it made sense to try and reweld it or am I just postponing the inevitable ...?

Old 06-14-2008, 02:58 PM
okeeton
1st Gear
As I don't know if this aprt is actually the Cat, I can't determine if the internals are damaged... here's a pic of the part of the header assembly where I've circled the cracked part if you look at the previous picture link the crack is actually on the inside of what looks like a bell housing over the down pipe to the second in line can (the Catalytic Converter?) anyways, I was hoping someone who knew what all the different pieces of the assembly are on the stock header/cat, might be able to weigh in and say... "its fixable" or "not." Whether or not having cracked it once whether it made sense to try and reweld it or am I just postponing the inevitable ...?
Image of Stock Header with problem area circled

Old 06-15-2008, 01:24 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Image of Stock Header with problem area circled
That's the precat. The large can that comes after that would be the actual catalytic converter.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:29 AM
enologuy
2nd Gear
Sorry, I misread your original thread and thought you already had the Milltek header/cat as well as the cat-back. The Milltek does not have a pre-cat.
If can afford it, eliminating the pre-cat with the Milltek setup is a great choice...this is my current setup.
I'm not sure if the crack in the pre-cat can be fixed. Go to a muffler shop and ask. If it can, it might be worth it. Otherwise, the quality of craftsmanship and the power gains you will see from a unit like the Milltek is worth the money. You may want to look at the 'Street' header that Revolution Mini Works has put out.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:42 PM
okeeton
1st Gear
enologuy-

Thanks for the feedback... appreciate you're insights on that crack in the precat. Nice to know about the milltek as well

RMS (Jan?) - is the price you sight'd above for the RMS Street Head? Will that work with a Milltek Cat Back street exhuast system? I was looking at the RMW website and saw no mention of the RMS street Head...

Old 06-15-2008, 07:04 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
enologuy-

Thanks for the feedback... appreciate you're insights on that crack in the precat. Nice to know about the milltek as well

RMS (Jan?) - is the price you sight'd above for the RMS Street Head? Will that work with a Milltek Cat Back street exhuast system? I was looking at the RMW website and saw no mention of the RMS street Head...

I think I read somewhere before that Jan's website is still in the process of being redone. I believe the header that was in Jan's post is his street header which is supposed to be able to work with other aftermarket catbacks(including the Milltek). I personally do not have his header so my knowledge on it is pretty limited.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 PM
enologuy
2nd Gear
The RMW 'Street' header is a fairly new product which was created to be able to fit non-RMW cat-backs. Their 'Race' header will only fit the RMW cat-back without modification(s) made to other aftermarket cat-backs.
And, yes, this STREET header is not listed on the website but is available if you call. The price is less than the Milltek.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
We have the RMW full race exhaust and I have seen the street header. His exhaust parts are works of art that will also give you performance that can be measured as well as felt. If you can get his header for less than the price of a Millteck, you would be wasting your money not to get it IMHO.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:01 PM
okeeton
1st Gear
Thanks folks ... looks like the Mini folks sing your praises very highly. You'll be hearing from me shortly Jan!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
rodH
2nd Gear
I have this EXACT same problem, what did you end up doing to fix it??

Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by rodH
I have this EXACT same problem, what did you end up doing to fix it??

Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
rodH
2nd Gear
I am guessing that that option is pretty pricey?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by rodH
I am guessing that that option is pretty pricey?

the one on the right is the street header
$850 and will bolt up to stock catback

Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Luys
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
no idea yet but we put one on a stock head yesterday and now it shreds the tires
I have some dyno charts to post with 3 GPs in differing mods all on the same dyno and day
Jan show us the charts please.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain CA Header replacement due to dead Catalytic converter