Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain M7 Super-AGS installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:25 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M7 Super-AGS installation

Per request of many users, and I state USERS. I am starting a new thread on the subject ....

Employees and owner(s) of RMW, no need to respond, those people in the RMW camp, also no need to respond. I have no time nor desire to play mind games, or put up with abuse of any kind and/or slander of any kind.

My installation pics:

Internal pic of the airbox:

My results:

I am very pleased with the results. Vacuum and boost pressure are up. The unit is quiet under normal operation, wide open throttle does generate a very pleasant roar and tapers off to quiet as the revs and speed increases.

The reason I choose this unit is because of my background, this unit had what I wanted to aid in my ultimate goal. In trying out other off the shelf units, what I wanted was not there and I did not want to spend time to produce one in our shop yet again ... Also unlike many off the shelf units, this is quiet, which is important to me.

With the other modifications I have and have planned, this CAI works great. As for the filter itself, having many engines with K&N filters and an average of 60,000 miles on each filter, the intake tracks are spotless and this is from a variety of conditions. I have one filter that has 100,000 miles on it and only reason it was retired was because the new owner of the vehicle wanted the filter system because he did not want to deal with the maintenance of the K&N.

Installation time:

Once all the BMW/MINI restrictive junk was removed (which took about 30 minutes), it took 20 minutes to install. With my version of firmware/software in the computers, I have no CEL issues.

Recommendations:

I recommend it.

Thanks M7 team, great work !

Cheers.

Last edited by morbius; 05-25-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:55 AM
joshK
4th Gear
I was originally liking the brushed aluminum top, but I'm surprised at how OEM it looks with the black. Intake looks great Morb.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:02 AM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice! You have quite a clean engine bay.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
That was my goal for a OEM style look

Thanks all !

Old 05-25-2008, 12:36 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
yes its a beauty . please keep us informed on the performance that you feel. quiet is good too. nice stuff buddy.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:02 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that does look fantastic. Who's samurai blade.. I mean STB is that?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Well I never posted in the other thread because I have no interest in the R56. The only reason I'm posting now is because you are claiming slander!!! That's a real bad word to throw around. I can tell you first hand that Jan is a one man operation. He has no employees only really happy customers.

The guys posting are just asking for numbers. If M7 chooses to show any it will shut them all up. It's that's easy.

I have a question for you. Are you designing or manufacturing parts for M7??

Longboard

Originally Posted by morbius
Per request of many users, and I state USERS. I am starting a new thread on the subject ....

Employees and owner(s) of RMW, no need to respond, those people in the RMW camp, also no need to respond. I have no time nor desire to play mind games, or put up with abuse of any kind and/or slander of any kind.

My installation pics:

Internal pic of the airbox:

My results:

I am very pleased with the results. Vacuum and boost pressure are up. The unit is quiet under normal operation, wide open throttle does generate a very pleasant roar and tapers off to quiet as the revs and speed increases.

The reason I choose this unit is because of my background, this unit had what I wanted to aid in my ultimate goal. In trying out other off the shelf units, what I wanted was not there and I did not want to spend time to produce one in our shop yet again ... Also unlike many off the shelf units, this is quiet, which is important to me.

With the other modifications I have and have planned, this CAI works great. As for the filter itself, having many engines with K&N filters and an average of 60,000 miles on each filter, the intake tracks are spotless and this is from a variety of conditions. I have one filter that has 100,000 miles on it and only reason it was retired was because the new owner of the vehicle wanted the filter system because he did not want to deal with the maintenance of the K&N.

Installation time:

Once all the BMW/MINI restrictive junk was removed (which took about 30 minutes), it took 20 minutes to install. With my version of firmware/software in the computers, I have no CEL issues.

Recommendations:

I recommend it.

Thanks M7 team, great work !

Cheers.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:15 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
For some reason it's not letting me see the pictures

Old 05-25-2008, 03:32 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Sweet looking intake, I look forward to how it goes for you,

Nice to see you didn't leave.

Ignore the peanut gallery, there is negative karma everywhere in the universe.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JAceMin
Sweet looking intake, I look forward to how it goes for you,

Nice to see you didn't leave.

Ignore the peanut gallery, there is negative karma everywhere in the universe.
No offence I really don't want to be in the peanut galley but if you spend money on a part that the manufacturer says produces more power then stock wouldn't you feel better if there was prof it really did??

I'm not saying this intake doesn't nor is any one else. I purchased a certain intercooler based on faith in the past and have since sold it. I know what it feels like to make a purchase and not get my $1000.00 worth of performance. This is the first I've talked about it.

I will say it is well made as was my intercooler.

Longboard

Old 05-25-2008, 04:31 PM
The Noodler
Banned
Vacuum and boost pressure are up.
How much did they go up? How did you measure the deltas?

Thanks so much,

N

Old 05-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
So much for having a decent thread about M7 parts without having at least one RMW fan boy chiming in, and the OP even requested it.

(longboard, now is the time to call,pm,email,smoke signal,bat signal,etc rustyboy and the other RMW fan boys so they can come in here blow up the thread and talk smack about me and M7.)
291.7...gimme a break.

Last edited by Partsman; 05-25-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
This should be on PPV, 'BATTLE OF THE VENDORS!'. We'd make a fortune.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:03 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
So much for having a decent thread about M7 parts without having at least one RMW fan boy chiming in, and the OP even requested it.

(longboard, now is the time to call,pm,email,smoke signal,bat signal,etc rustyboy and the other RMW fan boys so they can come in here blow up the thread and talk smack about me and M7.)
291.7...gimme a break.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN

291.7...gimme a break.

If you had half a clue it would be funny...

Old 05-25-2008, 10:32 PM
user 7082082
Banned
I am curious between what the diffrence is with this "super ags system" and a $50 k&n cone filter ? I understand this looks mighty nicer but is it worth the extra $280 bux. Perhaps the next person should do a before and after Dyno since M7 does not provide any hp sheets ever themselves.

Last edited by user 7082082; 05-25-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Forget it, I have no time for this stuff ! I have no association to M7 in any way shape or form, I am a customer. I have my own very successful 20+ year old businesses and more vehicles than there are days in a month.

I am here to post my experience with product that I purchased and what I am seeing is a pile of people that do not even have an R56 interjecting .... WTF is with this ? You do not see me poking my finger in the R53 threads or tuning ! I can poke so many holes into some of the tuning that goes here that its not funny. But I do not go around sticking my nose in other people's/companies business.

I was going to post today's 525 mile datalogged run, but forget it. I got better things to do with my time. We were debating about doing something with NAM, but with what goes on here, it made it very clear its not worth our time or money !

Here is something to chew on ..... 525 mile test run, logged a 4.2 MPG increase.

Best of luck to all !

Old 05-25-2008, 11:01 PM
user 7082082
Banned
You have no time for this ? Woof, sounds like you aren't having a good day.I am not demanding hard data from you. It's a thread about a M7 product and I am simply asking what the gains are from this vs a regular cone filter. I was actually hopeing someone from M7 would reply to my question and put the idea out there that next time maybe someone should do a before/after dyno.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:14 PM
cartar452
Banned
Forget it, I have no time for this stuff ! I have no association to M7 in any way shape or form, I am a customer. I have my own very successful 20+ year old businesses and more vehicles than there are days in a month.

I am here to post my experience with product that I purchased and what I am seeing is a pile of people that do not even have an R56 interjecting .... WTF is with this ? You do not see me poking my finger in the R53 threads or tuning ! I can poke so many holes into some of the tuning that goes here that its not funny. But I do not go around sticking my nose in other people's/companies business.

I was going to post today's 525 mile datalogged run, but forget it. I got better things to do with my time. We were debating about doing something with NAM, but with what goes on here, it made it very clear its not worth our time or money !

Here is something to chew on ..... 525 mile test run, logged a 4.2 MPG increase.

Best of luck to all !
If it was that easy to get 4.2mpg more don't you think it would have came that way from the factory??

Old 05-25-2008, 11:28 PM
user 7082082
Banned
I just checked their video on the website and fully understood this. The SUPER ags looks like it's made for a better filtering procedure due to it's 1,134 in² of pleated filtering area. If you really want real performance then you need the AGS-R System which retails for 650 bux. OUCH

I wonder how much mpg increase you gain with the ags-r.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 PM
6th Gear

Best of luck to all !
Honestly, I thought you had a lot to offer in some of the other threads you've contributed to, but posting garbage like this just makes me lose more and more respect for you. This isn't the first time i've seen you brag about how much smarter you are than everyone else and how many cars you own.

I couldn't give a ***** if you own 300 cars and are the CEO of Verizon Wireless, that has nothing to do with legitimate questions people are asking that you assume are simply pot shots.

Feel free to flaunt your superior engineering prowess in any R53 thread you deem necessary. I don't recall signing anything that said I was only able to ask questions about cars I own. I don't need to own one to question fantastical claims of 15-20% gas milage increases and boost differences that don't even use proper testing controls (You can't measure boost at part throttle unless you can quantify % throttle input with actual data).

If you're so butt hurt that people don't just bend over and take it from a vendor without first lubing up, I don't know what to tell you. We've all been around for the other products that claimed amazing gains and did nothing but HURT performance. Lets just say we're all a bit skeptical of performance offerings from a certain alphanumeric tuner.

Nobody can make you post your information here, but don't expect to post information and not have people ask you questions. Demanding that they own said product before asking a question just makes you look silly.

I apologize if my post comes off as harsh, but I can't stand people that treat others in a condescending manner, especially when they use money, age, or business success as a measuring stick. That all means nothing.

Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:46 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by cartar452
If it was that easy to get 4.2mpg more don't you think it would have came that way from the factory??
This is damn funny statement ! If the BWM engineers are so good than way is the MINI so messed up ! Why do they partner with cooperworks for performance enhancements ? Why is RMW around doing tunes if the BMW engineers are so great ?

Please learn something about business, engineering practice and how it relates to the reality of manufacturerng and USA EPA laws, and how to make a profit. What do expect for a $25,000 beer can metal car ! Damn the JCW is nothing special either for $45,000 !! I ought to know, I have one of those also. If the BMW engineers are so great, why are there tons of 3RD party performance enhancement companies for all the BMW products ?

Would you pay 50 to 60,000 for a MCS that was the top tuned vehicle around ? NO !

I did not buy a mini because it was a well engineered high performance machine. I bought it for fun and play and because I fit a couple of these tinker toys in a stall that was open !

Last edited by Krut; 05-26-2008 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Cursing removed by Moderator
Old 05-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It seems odd that the number-seekers feel so intent on flooding non-m7-affiliated user's threads with the same old "show us the numbers" questions. I agree....they have the right to ask for the numbers....but why do it in a random user's thread when you could just stick to asking the questions in the thread started by the manufacturer.....the one responsible for providing the information?

Let the guy make a post and share his feelings and enjoyment in his new product. If you're curious about the performance gains, want to question the marketing, bash the products, or convince peter that he needs to share the graphs more often.....take it over to the thread that M7 created about this product and take it up with the company that is selling it....don't just jump in and ruin the threads created by random customers.

(though...after all these years...it still amazes me that people even waste time asking Peter for the numbers as if something is gonna magically change)

Old 05-25-2008, 11:57 PM
6th Gear
This is damn funny statement ! If the BWM engineers are so good than way is the MINI so messed up ! Why do they partner with cooperworks for performance enhancements ? Why is RMW around doing tunes if the BMW engineers are so great ?

Please learn something about business, engineering practice and how it relates to the reality of manufacturerng and USA EPA laws, and how to make a profit. What do expect for a $25,000 beer can metal car ! Damn the JCW is nothing special either for $45,000 !! I ought to know, I have one of those also. If the BMW engineers are so great, why are there tons of 3RD party performance enhancement companies for all the BMW products ?

Would you pay 50 to 60,000 for a MCS that was the top tuned vehicle around ? NO !

I did not buy a mini because it was a well engineered high performance machine. I bought it for fun and play and because I fit a couple of these tinker toys in a stall that was open !
I give this thread between 8 and 12 hours until the mods close it after this tirade...

Last edited by Krut; 05-26-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: removal of curse words
Old 05-26-2008, 12:00 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
It seems odd that the number-seekers feel so intent on flooding non-m7-affiliated user's threads with the same old "show us the numbers" questions. I agree....they have the right to ask for the numbers....but why do it in a random user's thread when you could just stick to asking the questions in the thread started by the manufacturer.....the one responsible for providing the information?

Let the guy make a post and share his feelings and enjoyment in his new product. If you're curious about the performance gains, want to question the marketing, bash the products, or convince peter that he needs to share the graphs more often.....take it over to the thread that M7 created about this product and take it up with the company that is selling it....don't just jump in and ruin the threads created by random customers.

(though...after all these years...it still amazes me that people even waste time asking Peter for the numbers as if something is gonna magically change)
I think people ask to show just how outlandish the claims are. After wasting plenty of my own money I'd rather not see people do the same thing.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain M7 Super-AGS installation