Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain M7's own Super-AGS thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
performance wise, no, they are closer than the price suggests. if there's something revolutionary here, it remains to be seen. As I mentioned a few pages back...that's my interest in this thread.
i wouldnt hold your breath.. i mean it sure does look like a quality intake, but im not expecting anything revolutionary.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:40 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probably true given this proposed dyno day has come and gone almost a month ago now and no BIG NEWS release about the gains \/

Originally Posted by M7
With all that said I will have an informal shootout at the dyno later this week between both units (as soon as I get the final production Super-AGS in house).

Old 05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with PGT where are thr results. I am considering the Super AGS but my DIY sounds great, I can def feel results via butt dyno especially around 3800 rpm. . .woooooo.

I need some hard results to shell out the $200 plus some odd dollars for the intake period end.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
Whats the deal with the price increase?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very simple....

Cost of raw material and complexity of product.

As you can see from images this product is much more intricate and complex
than any other competing product. Price was raised to $329 for now but it
will most likely be raised to $349 very soon.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 05-24-2008, 07:04 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by M7
As you can see from images this product is much more intricate and complex
than any other competing product. Price was raised to $329 for now but it
will most likely be raised to $349 very soon.

were there comprehensive pictures posted somewhere of the airbox assemby and its insides ? because as interested as I am in purchasing one, the lack of data and details so far, it might as well be a shoebox with a k&n slapped on top.

There are plenty of people here who'd like to support you, but throw us a bone already !

Old 05-24-2008, 10:12 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Sorry for the delay of getting more images charts etc, but we were getting ready for a photo shoot and magazine layout next week.

Here's a close-up of the inside details of the Super-AGS....

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Velocity stack and vortex generators

Old 05-25-2008, 10:31 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it's too bad you had to cut off so much of the air horn, I can only assume it's due to the constraints of the intake manifold below (bottom of the airbox) and the filter. How did you come up with the placement of those little tabs, it's hard to imagine they smooth out the airflow enough to warrant the extra fabrication ?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
M7
Former Vendor
The choice was no velocity stack or cut it of slightly.
The tabs are there for a reason, and the extra fabrication..Cest La Vie

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 05-26-2008, 06:38 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Originally Posted by n1tr0

were there comprehensive pictures posted somewhere of the airbox assemby and its insides ? because as interested as I am in purchasing one, the lack of data and details so far, it might as well be a shoebox with a k&n slapped on top.

There are plenty of people here who'd like to support you, but throw us a bone already !
+5. Data would be nice; any data at all that would demonstrate the thought process at arriving at the finished product, particularly the quantity and orientation of the vortex generators.

I understand if you are not willing to release data but promising to do so and ignoring repeated requests for same in this thread isn't inspiring a great deal of confidence for me. I think releasing some data and sound methodology would go along way in helping not only customers wishing to make an informed decision but also to silencing the m7 haters that show up so often in these threads. Just my two pesos...

Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyF
+5. Data would be nice; any data at all that would demonstrate the thought process at arriving at the finished product, particularly the quantity and orientation of the vortex generators.

I understand if you are not willing to release data but promising to do so and ignoring repeated requests for same in this thread isn't inspiring a great deal of confidence for me. I think releasing some data and sound methodology would go along way in helping not only customers wishing to make an informed decision but also to silencing the m7 haters that show up so often in these threads. Just my two pesos...
Like thats going to happen. I have no vested interest in this product as I have a R53, but show me any "data and sound methodology" on anybodys intake?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JohnnyF

I'm sorry if you feel that not enough data has been given, but I have promised a dyno chart as soon as possible. With that said the enviroment has changed here on NAM lately in a way that no matter what we put forward a certain sub-set will make light of the found numbers and then
making the thread closed down.....It's to bad.

A few thoughts on the Super -AGS and how I designed the unit.
First I wanted an inexpensive option to our AGS-R so the parameters were fairly restricted in the sense that we could not use any composites or other
hard to work materials. I wanted the filter area to be the biggest it could possibly fit in the engine compartment. And I wanted it to look great and something to be proud of when you open the hood. I didn't want the typical formula of a cone filter and a an elbow, it's been done and I didn't want to copy everyone else.

The first box was very crude with no velocity stack, vortex generators or
a gradual ramp on the opposite end of the intake side. This unit was good
and fairly loud as the straight through intake side resembled all the other loud intakes on the market, my take on this was a fair amount of turbulence
at the mouth of the intake tube.

I decided to source a velocity stack with a long tube, that way I could start to play with the lenght of the stack and so I did. The vortex generators are
placed both on horizontal and vertical surfaces to break up any airflow
that would stick to the surfaces.

After more than a few units we found the sweet-spot for the lenght of the VS and placement of the vortex generators (which are welded not riveted in).

Sorry if it's not more complicated than that. At this time no CFD analysis
was generated as I wanted real time on the road testing first and foremost.

Hope that gave you some insight in how the Super-AGS was conceived.

And remember you guys can call me directly any time and I'll be more than
happy to answer any questions.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
i would imagine "real time road testing" is more butt dyno than anything while a CFD analysis is cold hard fact.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ghosthound
i would imagine "real time road testing" is more butt dyno than anything while a CFD analysis is cold hard fact.
Cold hard facts maybe, but nothing beats real world driving, as it is very hard to replicate the varying rpm and consequent CFM intake during simulation.
IE. I can make a couple of intakes at the same time as it takes the computer to chew through the necessary raw data.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 05-27-2008, 05:46 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
well the thing looks cool to me. nice and clean . looking forward to more stuff.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 PM
NY_R56
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got my M7 Super-AGS today. Put it on this afternoon. Looks very nice, only had one problem was the supplied screw and washer to hold down the Super-AGS. The darn screw was a bit too short. Oh yea I don't know if i installed it wrong or something but the unit seems to tilt backwards a little or is it suppose to be that way.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:39 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NY_R56
Just got my M7 Super-AGS today. Put it on this afternoon. Looks very nice, only had one problem was the supplied screw and washer to hold down the Super-AGS. The darn screw was a bit too short. Oh yea I don't know if i installed it wrong or something but the unit seems to tilt backwards a little or is it suppose to be that way.

All the pictures I've seen, it tilts backwards. Tell us how it FEELS and SOUNDS!

I'm sure we all would love to know that its worth the $350....

Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
NY_R56
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
All the pictures I've seen, it tilts backwards. Tell us how it FEELS and SOUNDS!

I'm sure we all would love to know that its worth the $350....
I thought it was more of a level angle instead it tilting backwards. Thats what it looks on M7's photos. could be wrong

It seem a lot quieter than my homemade CAI, but you can hear your stock exhaust a lot more. Some of my friends looked at the airfilter and say "thats huge!!!"

Old 05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
spam052
2nd Gear
yeah i installed mine a couple of days ago and the screw was short too. i just used the one in the stock air box worked fine. also had to cut the elbow about an inch where it connects to the cai so that the intake tube was in place. other than that the install was a snap. oh yeah i had to tilt the maf sensor a bit so it would fit under the cai. it feels great its a bit more quiet than my home made one. but i know that it will be a looooooonnnnggg time before i have to clean it. also i don't know if the part has anything to do with it but i got a bump in my mpgs for highway at least of about 3. maybe its the unichip i installed at the same time. also its a bit on the heavy side i dont have the actual weight but it felt heavy. i would love to see this in aluminum. it would rock!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 PM
NY_R56
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spam052
yeah i installed mine a couple of days ago and the screw was short too. i just used the one in the stock air box worked fine. also had to cut the elbow about an inch where it connects to the cai so that the intake tube was in place. other than that the install was a snap. oh yeah i had to tilt the maf sensor a bit so it would fit under the cai. it feels great its a bit more quiet than my home made one. but i know that it will be a looooooonnnnggg time before i have to clean it. also i don't know if the part has anything to do with it but i got a bump in my mpgs for highway at least of about 3. maybe its the unichip i installed at the same time. also its a bit on the heavy side i dont have the actual weight but it felt heavy. i would love to see this in aluminum. it would rock!!!
Yea, I also had to cut the elbow a little too. Mine was kind of hitting the fuse box a bit.
I can't find what the Cel-Defender is? Is it built into the unit or something? Is it supposed to be included with the Super-AGS? What about the Turbo heat shield, I thought that was included with the Kit? I guess I didn't read somewhere.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:52 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Hello there..

Sorry about the elbow, we got some variations in the geometry with the first production. With that said the shorter end goes in to the Super-AGS.

The cel-Defender (issue was fixed with the velocity stack) so it's not needed. Making the unit in aluminum would make it much more expensive
I'll look in to it but don't hold your breath for now.

Heat shield was never ever never promised as part of the package, it's not even a product yet.

The screw should be delivered with a washer and used that way, brand new tech page for the Super-AGS should be available in the next few days.

If the unit sticks up a little, losen the band clamp on the AGS side and rotate
the unit down (rotate hose up) and it should sit down nicely.

If there's any issue feel free to call me I'm always happy to help out.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 05-28-2008, 06:20 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Like thats going to happen. I have no vested interest in this product as I have a R53, but show me any "data and sound methodology" on anybodys intake?
I was most interested in the dyno sheet that was previously promised. It's one of those things where I don't necessarily put a huge amount of stock in a manufacturer's data, but it at least shows that some testing was done. Perhaps I'm spoiled, as my industry and employer is very data-driven and I like to have some insight into the design process.

Peter, thanks for the response. I'm particularly curious as to how you determined the location and orientation of the vortex generators, as it's counter to what I've seen in virtually all applications of vortex generators. You mentioned real-world testing; what data was collected?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 PM
M7
Former Vendor
We will have charts on Friday, done on a stock R56 with an exhaust.
As for vortex generators look in my previous post, and the proof is in the
proverbial pudding.

Peter
M7 tuning
562-608-8123

Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
My screw was short too, I'd suggest at least a 1" long and possibly coarser threaded screw for it.

I didn't notice a longer or shorter end to the boot, but I did notice a very tight fit. I'll look into cutting the boot, although I had hoped no other modifications would have been necessary.

Also, does anyone's hit the firewall? Or will that be fixed my shortening the boot?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:12 PM
M7
Former Vendor
The unit should not hit the plastic divider wall, make sure the locator pin is seated properly (use WD40 to lubricate the pin) and the lock down tab is seated all the way down.

I know it's hard to find time to call us if there's a problem, but we are here to
solve any issues on this first shipment.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Quick Reply: Drivetrain M7's own Super-AGS thread