Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Noise/thumping while De-accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise/thumping while De-accelerating

Folks:
I just developed a strange noise. Kind of like a thumping and maybe some extra vibration, but only while coasting/de-accelerating. It seems to be coming from the front, but it is hard to know for sure. Also, it seems to be a little better if I hit the brakes. Also, it gets much worse above ~30 mph. If the power is on it is smooth and quiet up to ~60mph.

My first thought was a delaminating runflat or a CV joint, but after a cursory inspection all tires seem OK and the CV joints do not click while making a sharp slow turn.

It just started yesterday and seemed to be a little worse this morning on my way in to work.

I have a '06 JCW with only 12K miles.

Any Ideas?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_racer
Folks:
I just developed a strange noise. Kind of like a thumping and maybe some extra vibration, but only while coasting/de-accelerating. It seems to be coming from the front, but it is hard to know for sure. Also, it seems to be a little better if I hit the brakes. Also, it gets much worse above ~30 mph. If the power is on it is smooth and quiet up to ~60mph.

My first thought was a delaminating runflat or a CV joint, but after a cursory inspection all tires seem OK and the CV joints do not click while making a sharp slow turn.

It just started yesterday and seemed to be a little worse this morning on my way in to work.

I have a '06 JCW with only 12K miles.

Any Ideas?
Might try moving to the Gen I forums for more help! But PM me and I am happy to help if I can! Good luck!