Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta STEALTH FMIC - WOOHOO!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCW56
Great car. Where did you get the headlight surrounds, and front Mini Badge from? Or did you colour the badge yourself?
Thanks! Both the headlight rings and the Mini emblems were covered in vinyl by Lyle of Vinyl Styles. Lyle is a great guy and does awesome work! I would definitely recommend him! Here is the link to his website...

http://www.lylesvinylstyles.net/

Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wetceal
I just got my ECU in so I hope to install it today/tonight! I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Thanks,
Celia
Originally Posted by wetceal
Thanks! Both the headlight rings and the Mini emblems were covered in vinyl by Lyle of Vinyl Styles. Lyle is a great guy and does awesome work! I would definitely recommend him! Here is the link to his website...

http://www.lylesvinylstyles.net/
5 hours between those two posts. Surely you've installed your ECU by now.. - it only takes a few minutes. Verdict?

Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
5 hours between those two posts. Surely you've installed your ECU by now.. - it only takes a few minutes. Verdict?
Haha...well, when we opened up the box to install the ECU, part of one of the plastic pieces was actually damaged. SO...I called Alta today and we're trying to get this worked out so that they can send me a new one. They were supposed to call me back today after they checked on some things but I never heard back so I'll have to call them again tomorrow...*sigh* I am sooooo impatient!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 PM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Damn thats a good looking r56!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:08 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
Did you notice power gain from the Intercooler?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Kirkland
2nd Gear
yes, we have all read about the appearance of the black intercooler but what about the performance gain?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear

from the Alta Website. Plenty of NAM members have posted similar results!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:12 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
So that means I only adds 1.7 hp

Old 03-06-2008, 01:28 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Originally Posted by unsalada
So that means I only adds 1.7 hp
No, these dynos are comparing Alta's original design to the one they ended up using. It was the only one I could find that had the intercooler on a stock car. It says right on the graph 10whp.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chili_red07
No, these dynos are comparing Alta's original design to the one they ended up using. It was the only one I could find that had the intercooler on a stock car. It says right on the graph 10whp.
Why does it say on the website that it add 20hp?

Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
I don't know. I don't have the intercooler, I was just trying to point someone in the right direction. Maybe you should ask Adam

*edit* if you look look at the first dyno on the intercooler page it says "Big Gains with 3 simple parts". So maybe to get the full potential you need it in conjunction with other parts (which I couldn't find out what the other 2 were; maybe CAI and Cat-Back???)

I'm sure Adam would be more than happy to answer any questions!

Last edited by chili_red07; 03-06-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:19 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
unsalada: The gain is from the old core to the new core design (the one we actually ship) Total gain on the ALTA FMIC vs. the OEM FMIC is 20 WHP. Sorry for any confusion.

chili_red07: THANK YOU for your help!

Chat soon folks!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
Nice intercooler

I had a discussion with my MA and said that a mini engineer said the only week spot in the mini was the intercooler. He said it would be the best place to start to increase HP and efficiency. I then asked if I install a quality aftermarket intercooler correctly and my engine has a problem would it be covered. He stated that they would never cover it. That is so ridiculous. A good intercooler helps the turbo and motor and if anything would be the one HP adder that adds to the longevity of the components.

I would buy the intercooler today if I felt like my dealer would not record my vin and instavoid my warranty. I had a 2005 mustang Tuned, Pulleys, Intake, throttle body and the ford dealer covered my car when I had a bad valve.

What is up with mini. I could see if he said if the turbo overheated because the intercooler failed but to say they would not cover the motor is this possible. Somehow I think it is.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Derosi
I had a discussion with my MA and said that a mini engineer said the only week spot in the mini was the intercooler. He said it would be the best place to start to increase HP and efficiency. I then asked if I install a quality aftermarket intercooler correctly and my engine has a problem would it be covered. He stated that they would never cover it. That is so ridiculous. A good intercooler helps the turbo and motor and if anything would be the one HP adder that adds to the longevity of the components.

I would buy the intercooler today if I felt like my dealer would not record my vin and instavoid my warranty. I had a 2005 mustang Tuned, Pulleys, Intake, throttle body and the ford dealer covered my car when I had a bad valve.

What is up with mini. I could see if he said if the turbo overheated because the intercooler failed but to say they would not cover the motor is this possible. Somehow I think it is.

I think he is telling the truth. I just like to prettend I didnt hear anything. I hope I dont get any major problems.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Derosi

I would buy the intercooler today if I felt like my dealer would not record my vin and instavoid my warranty.

aint gonna happen. the guy is blowing smoke up your butt. The only way the intercooler could adversly affect your car is if something catastrophic happened to the cooler. (big rock, forgot to tighten clamps etc).

The intercooler isn't going to be able to affect anything that would void your warranty. It's about the safest engine mod that can be done.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
sailorliz23
3rd Gear
Try dealing with another dealer if possible. My SA had an r56 come in with upgraded intercooler, intake, and exhaust. And had warranty work done in the motor.

If not then just stick with maybe an intake and cat-back exhaust.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
I really don't know if I should mod with downpipe, intecooler, ecu. I dont want to lose warranty on the car. I seen some pretty horrible stories on non warranty repairs and I dont plan to be posting them as well.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
So long as you remove the ECU before going to the dealer its a safe bet.
I'm with you though: I don't want to void my warranty either

Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chili_red07
So long as you remove the ECU before going to the dealer its a safe bet.
I'm with you though: I don't want to void my warranty either
I dont really know much about this but everyone says its fine to do stuff but the only person that can say that is the dealer.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
I agree with you on the intercooler

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
aint gonna happen. the guy is blowing smoke up your butt. The only way the intercooler could adversly affect your car is if something catastrophic happened to the cooler. (big rock, forgot to tighten clamps etc).

The intercooler isn't going to be able to affect anything that would void your warranty. It's about the safest engine mod that can be done.
I agree with you 100% however I don't agree with others that say the ECU should not void the warranty. Do I think the ECU will blow the motor, NO but I don't think mini should warranty it but the intercooler should be warranty legal. Maybe a call a second dealership.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
what I dont really get is why the pnp it said it would add 20 somthing hp and 50 tq. why do you need downpipe intercooler and all the alta goodies.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
dumb question but does the intercooler work on the MC?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
No questions are dumb

except for maybe that one. Kidding, you need a turbo to cool.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by unsalada
what I dont really get is why the pnp it said it would add 20 somthing hp and 50 tq. why do you need downpipe intercooler and all the alta goodies.
Because you need to cool the compressed air, and be able to release it to maximize the potential gains.

Going back to your other concerns, the dealer is NOT going to take exception to the airflow mods. The ECU is of obvious concern, but good bad or otherwise the PnP makes it a 2-5 minutes cinch to remove then go in for service.

The cars are SO much better with the added HP, that I find it hard to NOT mod the car.

Good luck in the choice and as always let me know if I can help further!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
I noticed that one of the plugs of the ecu not the harness its chiped (broke) a black clip that holds down to the base. What can I do if the dealer finds that out I will be in big troouble. Could I replace it or no?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Alta STEALTH FMIC - WOOHOO!