Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Car sputtering after Alta Boost Tube/Inlet Tube Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM
joshK
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car sputtering after Alta Boost Tube/Inlet Tube Install

I finished installing the Alta Boost Tubes and Turbo Inlet Pipe today and can't really enjoy them because every time I open up the throttle the car sputters (similar to running out of gas). I checked and couldn't find any leaks, and I'm sure I plugged everything back in - has this happened to anyone else?

More info - I've also recently been having a problem where the engine temp warning will come on randomly - it doesn't matter if I've just started the car in the morning - it tells me it's hot. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty sensor and will be taking it in to the dealer to get fixed. Could these two issues be related? Perhaps the faulty sensor is causing the car to go into a limp mode to prevent engine damage?

thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by joshK; 12-29-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 AM
4Azdmunky
1st Gear
It sounds like you checked the right things. Really the only thing that can go wrong is the clamps are not tight enough. You can try spraying the ends of the tubes where they are clamped with carb cleaner while someone revs the engine. If the problem clears itself, when the carb cleaner hits, then there is your leak. Be careful of spark, it is flammable. I've only seen one case where this went bad, but the guy tapped the starter solenoid with the side of the can. Instant ball of flame.

As for a temp sensor causing this, that is also possible. I had a 97 Saturn SC2 that stopped working one day, wouldn’t start, acted like timing was all out. Turned out to be a $7 engine coolant temperature sensor.

Did you disconnect the neg battery cable and hold the break down for ~20 sec to reset the ECU?

Last edited by 4Azdmunky; 12-18-2007 at 03:04 AM. Reason: added ECU question
Old 12-18-2007, 05:42 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a vacuum leak. I've never heard of using carb cleaner but I have heard of using soap and water around the tubes, it'll bubble if theres a leak. Temp sensor I don't think would cause erratic idle, I could be wrong though. Double, triple, and quadrouble check that all the boost tubes are on and seated. it sounds like a definite vacuum leak.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:49 PM
twin scroll
2nd Gear
Check MAF plug! You did not drop the MAF or damage it on install? Someone else had same problem and it was the MAF they forgot to plug in! Just my .02!

Old 12-19-2007, 05:41 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
I was thinking the MAF sensor too. It's kind of easy to forget all about it when your buttoning stuff back together.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
one way to know for sure. put the stock parts back on and take it to the dealership to get the temp thing fixed. then put your alta stuff back on making sure you've installed it properly.

Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
Sounds like a vacuum leak. I've never heard of using carb cleaner but I have heard of using soap and water around the tubes, it'll bubble if theres a leak. .
how will you see the inside of the tube where the bubbles would form?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Sounds like you are on the right track to check stuff. There is REALLY nothing about the parts that can cause any issue, it would be strictly related to the installation. I am SO sorry that you are having problems.

Jeff is in the office today at 503-222-MINI and I am at home answering email at taft.adam@gmail.com or PM's here. So let me know if I can help too.

Thanks again for the business and Good Luck on the solution!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:42 PM
joshK
4th Gear
well I'm almost 100% positive that the problem is not caused by the tubes. To verify I put the stock parts back on and the problem persisted so I'm guessing that the timing of the problems was an unfortunate coincidence. I've taken the car to the dealer and will be detailing my further experiences in the sputter/CEL thread in the Stock Problems forum. Thanks to everyone that offered up suggestions!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:43 AM
joshK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sutter2k
Really sounded like it was letting unmetered air in, as if something is not properly clamped down.....
That's what I thought too, but the only pipe that would cause that would be the inlet tube as the MAF is a suck thru and not a blow thru, and the problem persisted with the original one reinstalled.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:17 PM
matty125
5th Gear
wow what a bummer

Old 12-25-2007, 07:38 AM
going4speed
4th Gear
May want to avoid

I would avoid using carb cleaner on this car. Lots of plastic in the intake tract as well as carb cleaner can burn up some O2 sensors.

Originally Posted by 4Azdmunky
It sounds like you checked the right things. Really the only thing that can go wrong is the clamps are not tight enough. You can try spraying the ends of the tubes where they are clamped with carb cleaner while someone revs the engine. If the problem clears itself, when the carb cleaner hits, then there is your leak. Be careful of spark, it is flammable. I've only seen one case where this went bad, but the guy tapped the starter solenoid with the side of the can. Instant ball of flame.

As for a temp sensor causing this, that is also possible. I had a 97 Saturn SC2 that stopped working one day, wouldn’t start, acted like timing was all out. Turned out to be a $7 engine coolant temperature sensor.

Did you disconnect the neg battery cable and hold the break down for ~20 sec to reset the ECU?

Old 12-25-2007, 07:59 PM
joe_r
4th Gear
3drops of dish soap to 16 ounces of water in a spray bottle work wonders to find boost leaks.

joe r

Old 12-25-2007, 08:49 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would go with a suspect maf sensor, unplugged or damaged.
a vacuum leak's going to be more apparent at idle, not when you give it some gas, likewise, giving it some throttle while it's sitting in your garage isn't going to create enough boost to cause it to falter like that either. You would need to have one of the boost hoses almost completely hanging off.

If the maf is plugged in, remove the connector & verify none of the pins have backed out. Should definitely set a fault either way.
another possibility not mentioned yet, if you've installed one of those crappy cone filters & over-oiled it, the oil can contaminate the wires of the maf sensor.

the problem with your ECT is extremely common with modern European cars, when I was with VW we were changing them out like oil filters. There should be some stored p-codes, when the ECT fails it usually defaults to the -40 degrees, fuel mixtures go all over the place, and your plugs get all fouled up (might also be your problem).

Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
JoshK: Any updates?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:48 PM
joshK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
JoshK: Any updates?
Not yet. I've taken the car to the dealer to fix this and another problem I was having with random temp warning lights coming on (even when the car was not hot). Basically, the install went this way:

1. I installed the inlet hose
2. Drove the car for about 1 day, no probs.
3. Next day car has *slight* sputter - I shrug it off as the car is possibly cold and drive to my friend's shop.
4. Boost tubes are installed. Inlet hose is reinstalled, connections are checked.
5. Sputter is still noticeable and gets worse over the next few days.

The only thing that had been changed before the sputter began was the inlet hose and even that worked for a day or so. Nevertheless, I reinstalled the original inlet hose and the problem persisted, so I took it to the dealer. They've had it for a few days and haven't made any mention of the fact that there are some mods on there so I'll post again when they tell me what's wrong.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 AM
jcap287
School away from MINI
I drove the car no cel and it started sputtering with a cel after I filled up I got my alta stuff on in my Coming soon part of my sig

Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by joshK
Not yet. I've taken the car to the dealer to fix this and another problem I was having with random temp warning lights coming on (even when the car was not hot). Basically, the install went this way:

1. I installed the inlet hose
2. Drove the car for about 1 day, no probs.
3. Next day car has *slight* sputter - I shrug it off as the car is possibly cold and drive to my friend's shop.
4. Boost tubes are installed. Inlet hose is reinstalled, connections are checked.
5. Sputter is still noticeable and gets worse over the next few days.

The only thing that had been changed before the sputter began was the inlet hose and even that worked for a day or so. Nevertheless, I reinstalled the original inlet hose and the problem persisted, so I took it to the dealer. They've had it for a few days and haven't made any mention of the fact that there are some mods on there so I'll post again when they tell me what's wrong.
Hope the dealer can fix it for you. Sounds like it is NOT related to anything on the mod side of things! Good luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:57 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
I put dry gas in it. Mine stopped sputtering but I still have a cel. I can definitely feel the power gain tho! I'm gonna see if the dealer will reset my thing and take the light off. All my hoses are on as far as they can get in on and clamps tight as they are gonna be.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 PM
joshK
4th Gear
well....the dealership called me today and informed me that the car has a blown head gasket (car has never been over-revved or abused) and that I might have a problem getting the repairs covered due to the presence of aftermarket parts...

The thread is here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=124276

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM
SeldomSeen
Neutral
eeek! nightmare scenario......

good luck in resolving!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:01 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
joshK: Again this stinks. I think things will be a-ok once it gets to the proper party at MINI. As always let me know if I can help in anyway shape or form. I did post in your other thread if you care to read it. Sorry you have to deal with a bunch crap from other NAM members. Members SHOULD be rallying to your aid, not giving you a bad time. You did NOTHING WRONG and your mods are minimal, vs what we have done on tons of cars. Fluke thing for sure. Stinks yes, but no shouldn't cost you anything to repair.

Thanks again for your support of ALTA and your candid information to the folks here!