Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Is it impossible for the MINI to...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 01:16 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering...

I've been doing some crazy turns here in the bay area. I wanted to know if it was impossible for the MINI to flip over. Does DSC make everything safe no matter what?

Whoops, can someone move this to Mini Talk, sorry bout that

Old 07-06-2003, 01:39 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't say impossible...

Old 07-06-2003, 01:47 PM
jlm
6th Gear
so those side and seat airbags seem to really be there! ouch!

Old 07-06-2003, 02:05 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear
YOUCH!

What happened?

Old 07-06-2003, 02:09 PM
hildymac
2nd Gear
Wow. Someone had to have been driving really recklessly or trying really hard to do that. I'm impressed in a not so good way.

Old 07-06-2003, 02:16 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>Wow. Someone had to have been driving really recklessly or trying really hard to do that. I'm impressed in a not so good way.

As I recall vaguely from when this picture appeared some months ago the driver was forced off the road or was hit by a larger vehicle. It was not reckless driving on the MINI driver's part.

Old 07-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
Well, nice MINI. Looks exactly like mine (minus silver roof/ dr. lights). Your mking me think about getting the driving lights on mine. Nice choice.

Anyway I recently got R90's which I really like. When I had the star spoke 16's with the goodyear's (not so good of a tire in my opinion), a something happened. I took a pretty large curve at 60-65mph to "test" the car. All was good until I started to loose traction and the tires were chirping. I quickly regained control (probably b/c of the DSC--it was flashing). I never felt it was going to tip or anything though.
I was impressed the DSC saved my butt. Now that I have the R90's like you, I feel a lot safer with these. I feel if I had these when I decided to do this, nothing would have happened.

As for that picture, I'd be curious to know how they did it .

Old 07-06-2003, 02:30 PM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
>>YOUCH!
>>
>>What happened?
>>
>>

Dude....very nice ride!!!!!....is this color available for ths S?

Old 07-06-2003, 03:03 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Does DSC make everything safe no matter what?
Dude, I hope you're joking. Remember high school physics? No one has invented a cure for gravity. Anything can be rolled if the conditions are right (or wrong, as the case may be). Anyhow, it's "STABILITY" control...not "laws of nature" control. Be careful out there.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:14 AM
ceberlik
1st Gear
Speaking of laws of physics, no street tire is sticky enough to roll any stock mini. The car will most likely understeer, or in the right conditions oversteer, way before the car will flip. Unless you hit a curb or another object, there is no threat of rollover. So take that hairpin at 120mph and feel asured that the car will not flip! Seriously. Just make sure you are in an empty parking lot or there is plenty of run off space because you will be seeing some serious understeer.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:19 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
One of our customers flipped their car taking a turn too fast and totaled the MINI. It is possible.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:35 AM
minichrist
2nd Gear
Related topic:

M3 goes for a ride.
Always wear your helmut when autoXing kids.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
>>One of our customers flipped their car taking a turn too fast and totaled the MINI. It is possible.

They must've been on some of the grippiest stuff known to man! Seriously, unless the conditions were "wrong" like a counter-banked turn or they hit a curb, I dont think it's possible. Let me rephrase. In a flat road, with no obstacles and no sudden drop-offs at the edge of the pavement I don't think it's possible with a relatively stock MINI. Maybe this was a counter-banked turn *with* a drop off at the shoulder...then i think any car could flip.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:28 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
The wrecked MINI at my dealership says its possible.

Old 07-07-2003, 01:04 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear
>>Well, nice MINI. Looks exactly like mine (minus silver roof/ dr. lights). Your mking me think about getting the driving lights on mine. Nice choice.
>>
>>Anyway I recently got R90's which I really like. When I had the star spoke 16's with the goodyear's (not so good of a tire in my opinion), a something happened. I took a pretty large curve at 60-65mph to "test" the car. All was good until I started to loose traction and the tires were chirping. I quickly regained control (probably b/c of the DSC--it was flashing). I never felt it was going to tip or anything though.
>>I was impressed the DSC saved my butt. Now that I have the R90's like you, I feel a lot safer with these. I feel if I had these when I decided to do this, nothing would have happened.
>>
>>As for that picture, I'd be curious to know how they did it .

Hi Cooptime,

The driving lights are very expensive which you probably know. To save yourself the headache, don't buy them from minispares.com. They may be really cheap, but you'll regret the confusion you're goin to go through. Wow, I almost have a twin, I was going to get on with a black roof, but there was that one MINI I seen in the catalog with a silver roof and that's what changed my decision. The only regret is not being able to put stripes on my roof. Yeah the R90s make such a big difference. Do you find it hard to clean? The get dirty easily, but when you see them shine, it's all worth it.

Ants - Nice Sig, the white lights look ultra clean on your car, how did the TV Tuner install go? Do you get alot of reception?

I'm going to be alot more careful around the turns now, thanks guys.