Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Modified head: Cautionary tale!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Spyke in Dallas
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modified head: Cautionary tale!

J Propane PMd about my recent problems w/ a "Valve Job" I was in the middle of (financially that is....No DIYSer, here! ) which came out as a sidenote on someone else's thread & I spent so long in the PM I thought this either needs to be published or put in another thread for those considering an R53 modified head! So here goes:

(Back story: I'd blown a head gasket after a misfire had thrown a MAP sensor code. The computer registered 23lbs of boost at the time. My guage had previously registered a top of 19lbs w/ a 19% pulley & DT BPV... something was definitely wrong!)

Originally Posted by J Propane
If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with your valve job?

Don't mind at all. The CHR Racing Head included S1 Valves using the stock valve springs. In replacing the head gasket, my tech checked out the internals & noticed that at the top of most of the valve stems (intake and exhaust) "In the area of the valve locks, or (keepers), the metal was worn out and the triple lock wasn't holding the keepers in place." I'd installed the head a little over two years ago and if it weren't for a misfiring in one of the cylinders that threw a code - I could've eventually blown the whole head!!! It was hard to tell off-hand whether the problem was caused by a defect in valve manufacturing or weakened OEM valve springs. (I'm sending these to S1 to see about possible compensation...)

So if I could've afforded RMW's "Jesus Head", I would've gone for it in a heartbeat , because even w/ possible reimbursement from the valve manufacturer, I was not looking forward to reinstalling something that had not worn well the first go round! Two friends of mine had the 2nd gen CHR head w/ 1.25 oversized Ferrea valves (vs my 1mm S1 Valves) w/ an optional "rev kit": seat locators, dual springs, titanium retainers and hardened valve keepers. This kit was unfortunately not available for stock valves or other manufactured valves using the triple locks & even if it was, the rev kit was $1400 alone - NOT including new valves I'd need! So you can see why the RMW Jesus Head at $2 grand was looking good...

One of these friends (Track-toy), sells MINIs in Pittsburgh & is also a driving instructor & has had no problems w/ the 2nd generation CHR head, presumably because he'd sprung for this Rev kit: Dual springs, Ferrea valves etc. After more than 50k miles - most of 'em high-rev track time, he's still going strong!

So... Gnatster contacted Jan @ RMW ("El Diabolito"/Jan owed Gnatster a favor ) & Jan located a previous RMW customer w/ a slightly used set of 1mm Ferrea valves (size I needed!) w/ a single lock system (supposedly better - 3k miles? Sold!). Jan then fixed me up w/ Titanium Dual Valve Springs & titanium retainers. I've purchased new valve seals and the head is being slightly machined to properly fit the new parts. Basically, everything that was worn is being replaced or upgraded while the head is open. I've also topped it off w/ a Cometic Head Gasket & Arp Head Studs to hold it all together.

So...Fingers Xed for the future & looking forward to getting the MINI back after 4 weeks of waiting for parts!

Moral of the story: The original CHR head was a strong quality concept in CNC execution and price (about $1200), and obviously the 2nd Gen CHR head is still proving it's worth as we speak - but if your getting a head job that you want to last - just to be safe - make sure you upgrade your valves, valve springs and other miscellaneous internals as well!

Side note: Tho the website is still up... http://www.chrracingproducts.com/Pri...formation.html I don't believe Jeff Fredenburg is still building CHR Heads at this time, but they were the same well-built heads that Randy Webb sold off his website under the WMS name. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Randy - I mention WMS only as a "Seal of Quality" in this context! ) I purchased from CHR directly to avoid the middle-man At any rate, Jeff was very helpful in contacting the gen-mgr of S1 for me for about three days straight in Emails & is now working w/ MINI Mania in developing their new heads! If you ever get a chance to deal with Jeff, in any capacity, I highly recommend it! While I was waiting for my head to be finished, he was constantly updating me w/ tons of photos and flow charts. He's been a good guy all-around!

Those of you interested, feel free to throw in a plug for your favorite aftermarket R53 head! And tell us why...if you can!

Last edited by Spyke in Dallas; 12-01-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spyke in Dallas
Moral of the story: The original CHR head was a strong quality concept in CNC execution and price (about $1200), and obviously the 2nd Gen CHR head is still proving it's worth as we speak - but if your getting a head job that you want to last - just to be safe - make sure you upgrade your valves, valve springs and other miscellaneous internals as well!
Well I enjoyed the story, but I don't know if this broad of a generalization can be made. I run the stock springs, valves, and retainers and regularly push 26+psi through the engine without a problem. I know several FBR customers doing the same thing, as well as the drag car running the stock head without problems. Certainly it is a much better idea to upgrade if you have the funds but I don't think it can be said that it has to be done....

Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Spyke in Dallas
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AZMCS
Well I enjoyed the story, but I don't know if this broad of a generalization can be made. I run the stock springs, valves, and retainers and regularly push 26+psi through the engine without a problem. I know several FBR customers doing the same thing, as well as the drag car running the stock head without problems. Certainly it is a much better idea to upgrade if you have the funds but I don't think it can be said that it has to be done....
Thanks for contributing... seriously! After what I've read on a similar thread, I can see that many have shared that POV & experience. So much of our INexperienced modding (me being one of 'em) resulted in replacing perfectly good BMW engineered parts w/ lesser ones unfortunately. At the time, I went w/ the advice of a few others I trusted & learned the hard way. 'Stuff' happens... I mean, this head job lasted around 48K miles of stop-light drags & high speed Hwy driving without problems but I was kinda hoping for a little longer...

Last edited by Spyke in Dallas; 12-03-2007 at 07:40 AM.