Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ALTA's GT2560R Turbo Kit... breaking 220WHP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:14 AM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA2
It is the adapter, but it is what makes the kit so simple, durable, and easy to install. When we were trying to figure out where the turbo goes, it truly fit best about where the OEM turbo sits. So instead of an expensive manifold being made, this simple adapter was what we did. Because of the space constraints, we didn't feel it was worth trying to make fabbed manifold. Or add alot more cost to the kit.
What is it made of?

Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
junior1459
3rd Gear
Is the boost psi controlled by a MBC or EBC, or is it all in the unichip?

Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
I believe that was water / meth. But Jeff can say for sure. Also on your Legacy we have other nozzle options if you need to flow more. Just give me or Jeff a call!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:13 PM
junior1459
3rd Gear
Any rough estimate when this turbo kit will be available

Old 12-03-2007, 12:04 AM
chuntington101
3rd Gear
Alta, have you got any pics of the adaptor plate for the trubo?? whats the transition like??

is there an option to fit a larger cold side hosing?? obviously there is space restrictions.

thanks Chris.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
I know you probably dont want to over complicate things but if I were interested I would like to know the compressor wheel type(Q,R,S) and ar. Also would like to know if you would interchange them.

Thanks

D

Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by RIPPER
why are the gear ratio's on all three dyno's different? 4.100, 5.692 and 5.500. shouldn't 4th gear runs =6.100
That is kind of strange? I should have been more careful when loading in the other cars to compare.
4.1 is what we have always used on our Yellow R56. The other numbers are from when we dynoed the GP and the WRX. With the Dynapack software, it loads in parameters from the cars, everytime you load in a new car it plops that in there. Its kind of a pain because it doesn't say what Gear ratio is for which car. At least on the screen we use for the internet.

We were finding that we were off about 25-50RPM at redline, and we were going to redo the calibration for RPM. BUt we didn't want people to think we were pulling a fast one. So we kept the 4.1 ratio.

Originally Posted by SlowB00st
What is it made of?
The Adapter I assume. Well, i would like to say its made of a custom formulated Stainless steel with special amounts iron, carbon, chromium, nickel, niobium, molybdenum, and titanium. But that's whats in 304SS already. The adapter is a machined 304SS piece.

Originally Posted by junior1459
Is the boost psi controlled by a MBC or EBC, or is it all in the unichip?
Well on the kits we sell, we are going to use the Unichip to control boost. This allows for closed loop programmable tuning, and different boost levels for different maps. But for the purposes of the dyno testing, it was done with our Manual Boost Controller.

Originally Posted by sutter2k
Nice, I have your WI/meth kit on my legacy with tmic. Though I wish it could flow a tad more for my application.

http://sutternow.com/pics/lgt/dynos/...mp_vs_meth.jpg

Did you actually make 20WHP with just water or 50/50?
Nice Graphs!! Yes, to answer your question, and that is with NO change in boost levels. We didn't raise the boost for the initial tests, because we ran out of Water/Meth?

Originally Posted by junior1459
Any rough estimate when this turbo kit will be available
Roughly next year, before summer. We could have them ready to roll right away, but we want to do some more testing.

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Alta, have you got any pics of the adaptor plate for the trubo?? whats the transition like??
is there an option to fit a larger cold side hosing?? obviously there is space restrictions.

thanks Chris.
We do have pics, but the transition is kind of special. As is some of the small features of the flange. When we start selling the kits we disclose all aspects of the kit, but until then..............

Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by Mad TKD
I know you probably dont want to over complicate things but if I were interested I would like to know the compressor wheel type(Q,R,S) and ar. Also would like to know if you would interchange them.

Thanks

D
Here is the turbo we are using.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW ON GARRETT'S SITE
The compressor wheel is a 60trim, 60mm Exducer wheel. The turbine AR is .64, which is the only size they have. The compressor AR is not important, but it is a .6AR. Hope that answers some of the basic questions!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
it does thanks

Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, this is incredible!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 PM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
The Adapter I assume. Well, i would like to say its made of a custom formulated Stainless steel with special amounts iron, carbon, chromium, nickel, niobium, molybdenum, and titanium. But that's whats in 304SS already. The adapter is a machined 304SS piece.
Lol this would have been sufficient... But thanks for the info!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 PM
msh441
6th Gear
OK, two questions that I asked via e-mail... but might be more appropriate to put here in case someone else was wondering as well:

Heat. Does the larger turbo put out more heat than the allready-really-hot stock turbo? If so, how do you deal with that? Heavier shielding planned? Some type of additional cooler? I understand the larger intercooler is recommended... but anything else, considering the stock turbo has melted a few hood scoops out there?

Also, I understand the GT turbo won't play nice with the stock ECU set-up... but how about the JCW ECU? Or would your aftermarket ECU be an absolute necessity in addition to the turbo kit itself?

Last edited by msh441; 12-03-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Here is the heatshield i whipped up. Its a prototype, and not final by anymeans, but if the Air temps stay nice and cool, the final version will not be too much different!

And another one from another angle.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:51 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice meaty welds Jeff!!!!

When you have a 300whp pump gas dyno I'm in.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by msh441
OK, two questions that I asked via e-mail... but might be more appropriate to put here in case someone else was wondering as well:

Heat. Does the larger turbo put out more heat than the allready-really-hot stock turbo? If so, how do you deal with that? Heavier shielding planned? Some type of additional cooler? I understand the larger intercooler is recommended... but anything else, considering the stock turbo has melted a few hood scoops out there?
Good questions!
Actually lets look at the Compressor maps i posted previously.

If you see the smaller turbo is less efficient at higher flow rates and pressures compared to the bigger turbo. At red line, the small turbo is in the 60% efficiency range where the bigger one is 74% range. The higher efficiency means cooler denser charged air, and means more power!

Small turbos always have a falling boost curve because of the efficiency dropping off. With the bigger turbos being able to flow more air, efficiently, they can hold boost better through the RPM range. Which is why you see a solid 18psi on gt2560R turbo kit, and a 20psi, falling to 13psi on the stock turbo.

But that is all about the Compressor side of the turbo. On the turbine side of things, they too run cooler. This because they are less restrictive. Generally the more back pressure the more heat, and with a turbine wheel that is larger than the OEM turbo, that mean less backpressure.

And example is, we have a cool pic of the stock turbo glowing red hot. On the dyno, the GT2560R didn't hardly glow red at all.

But a larger intercooler is an important item for this setup because cool charged air is very important for keeping things working consitantly and safe. At the air flow levels this turbo can push, the stock Intercooler is going to be a restriction!

Originally Posted by msh441
Also, I understand the GT turbo won't play nice with the stock ECU set-up... but how about the JCW ECU? Or would your aftermarket ECU be an absolute necessity in addition to the turbo kit itself?
The GT turbo will not work with the stock ECU because of it seeing too much boost too much air flow, and some other things. The JCW ECU will have the same problems. So yes, the Unichip is 100% needed to run the car at any level of boost over stock boost settings.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
Nice meaty welds Jeff!!!!

When you have a 300whp pump gas dyno I'm in.
300 is knocking on the door, but with the water/meth injection. Results posted in a day or so.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Chili Mini
Neutral
Count me in for one

Will there be a catless downpipe as an option?

Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM
junior1459
3rd Gear
yay..getting excited about the 6 month wait
but .. it will be worth it

Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Catless, probably not. That is another important thing to note here. All of these results are with 2 cats just like the stock system has! 2 cats, and 250WHP!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 AM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
What kind of torq numbers are you seeing?

Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Chili Mini
Neutral
Catless, probably not. That is another important thing to note here. All of these results are with 2 cats just like the stock system has! 2 cats, and 250WHP!
What about a downpipe with one high flow cat and placed in the end of the pipe, wouldn't that spool up the turbo faster and give you more power? or will it not pass the emission test

Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by Chili Mini
What about a downpipe with one high flow cat and placed in the end of the pipe, wouldn't that spool up the turbo faster and give you more power? or will it not pass the emission test
Our downpipe has a high flow cat in it, and so does the midpipe. This is just like the OEM parts, and to be legal, you have to keep 2 cats, and keep them in the stock locations. Its not a matter of emissions passing(because one cat should be just fine for that) its a matter of being legal. Its illegal to remove or move a fully functioning catalytic converter or any emissions control device.

Will getting rid of one make more power? Yes, but not as much as one might think. Will it make the turbo spool quicker? YEs but i bet not even 100RPM. As time passes, we might try removing one, but this not something we would sell. We would just do this to prove that 2 high flow cats make similar HP as 1 high flow.

Originally Posted by mikeg4572
What kind of torq numbers are you seeing?
With the water injection, we are seeing..........

Old 12-10-2007, 11:49 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
Our downpipe has a high flow cat in it, and so does the midpipe. This is just like the OEM parts, and to be legal, you have to keep 2 cats, and keep them in the stock locations. Its not a matter of emissions passing(because one cat should be just fine for that) its a matter of being legal. Its illegal to remove or move a fully functioning catalytic converter or any emissions control device.

Will getting rid of one make more power? Yes, but not as much as one might think. Will it make the turbo spool quicker? YEs but i bet not even 100RPM. As time passes, we might try removing one, but this not something we would sell. We would just do this to prove that 2 high flow cats make similar HP as 1 high flow.

With the water injection, we are seeing..........
Wow, is that the Turbo Kit alone, or with the water injection/meth? And what are the numbers compared to?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Straius
2nd Gear
Is there an advantage using the polished boost tubes vs. the silicone tubes? Are the polished tubes necessary for the turbo setup, or would the silicone tubes still be usable they were already installed prior to having this turbo kit installed?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Chili Mini
Neutral

Thanks allot for the useful infroemation. Are you taking orders on the turbo kit from now?

Last edited by Chili Mini; 12-11-2007 at 01:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ALTA's GT2560R Turbo Kit... breaking 220WHP!