Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Custom Exhaust: what muffler to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Iautox
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Custom Exhaust: what muffler to use?

Hi all,

I think I'll go the custom exhaust route on my MCS. I'm just going to change things from the 2nd cat back so I can stay legal for G Stock autocross. I've had a turbo Mustang SVO with no mufflers, only a 3" cat and it wasn't too bad, but I think I want to go quieter with the Mini. So here are my questions:

1) For those who have taken the resonator off, does it appear to be restrictive? If it doesn't look to be too restrictive then perhaps I could just cut the muffler out of the system and give that a try soundwise. Has anyone tried this?

2) If the resonator is restrictive then I'd look at running new pipe from the second cat to an aftermarket muffler. Any muffler recommendations? I really don't need a polished one. I was thinking of a welded case Summit muffler.

3) I could also look at replacing the muffler with a resonator or again if the stock resonator is restrictive I could replace it as well and run two resonators.

On that note, I've never understood the purpose of a muffler and resonator rather than just a muffler alone that reduced the sound to the same extent. Also I've never understood why sometimes the resonator is ahead of the muffler and sometimes behind. There must be a good reason for resonators or the manufacturers would avoid them since it would be simpler and less expensive to produce a system with only a muffler.

I look forward to you enlightened responses. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Murathan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just made a straight 2.5'' polished pipe (cat back) european version has only 1 cat rather than 2, I used magnaflow muffler, it has great deep sound but a bit loud in middle rpm range. There is noticeable performance above 4k.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Nice Murathan.
IautoX- Check out burnsstainless.com...I think that is the site. Great stuff I think that RMW uses it is used with F-1 cars.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 PM
ficcion
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
No muffler.

For g-stock just go straight pipe back from the 2nd cat/resonator area. It is very quiet with that set up. I'm sure there will not be any power gain but a weight savings for sure.

Put a flange attachment on your stock exhaust and you can go back to it any time.

That 2nd cat is doing all the "restriction" IMHO and you have to keep that for G-stock.

Last edited by ficcion; 07-16-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:53 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ficcion
No muffler.

For g-stock just go straight pipe back from the 2nd cat/resonator area. It is very quiet with that set up. ....
Hmmm. If anyone finds a sound or video clip of that, please post it. I've always wondered what the raw sound of our engine sounds like.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Iautox
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the resonator look like on the inside?

For those who have took the exhaust apart, what does the resonator look like on the inside? Is it a straight through design? If so I think I'll start by cutting out the muffler and putting in a temporary straight pipe to see what it sounds like. I'd like some more volume, but no drone. If it is too loud without the muffler then I think I'll try a 2nd straight through resonator in place of the muffler. Also, I assume the stock pipe is 2.25".

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there somewhere you can go to hear different exhaust clips for the mcs?