Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

Any Mini Driving Schools near Arizona?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 PM
joe13472000
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Mini Driving Schools near Arizona?

Phil Wicks doesn't have any plans to come out west in 2012? I guess you can bring your own vehicle to a Bob Bondurant class - but is there anyone else that offers a performance driving class in or near Arizona?

Old 12-19-2011, 01:30 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
We are doing MINI Thunder III at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows California, but that is quite a ways a way. Feb 19, 2012 during the Presidents Day weekend. It will be a MINI HPDE and Hooked on Driving will be holding their track day on Feb 18 the day before. I know that SCMM (SoCal MINI Maniacs) does alot of track days and may have something coming up. They are alot closer.

Phil Wicks is not doing a track day at AMVIV this year?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:42 PM
joe13472000
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mini pooper
We are doing MINI Thunder III at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows California, but that is quite a ways a way. Feb 19, 2012 during the Presidents Day weekend. It will be a MINI HPDE and Hooked on Driving will be holding their track day on Feb 18 the day before. I know that SCMM (SoCal MINI Maniacs) does alot of track days and may have something coming up. They are alot closer.

Phil Wicks is not doing a track day at AMVIV this year?
I emailed Phil Wicks and the furthest west he is coming in 2012 is Alabama.

One on One with Phil Wicks at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw SC and a Phil Wicks Driving Academy at Talladega Gran Prix in Monford AL May 19 and 20, 2012

Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 AM
racerxlilbro
1st Gear
Sorry for the late notice, but VARA will be running its annual University of VARA at Buttonwillow this weekend. It's two full days of instruction, and is super reasonable, cost-wise.

Check out www.vararacing.com.

Brad

Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by joe13472000
Phil Wicks doesn't have any plans to come out west in 2012? I guess you can bring your own vehicle to a Bob Bondurant class - but is there anyone else that offers a performance driving class in or near Arizona?
So a quick Bob Bondurant story.... had a chance to hear him speak at a car show a couple of years ago. Telling great stories bout the good old days and who he raced against etc.

Here is the kicker, He ends up telling the gathering bout the time he gets pulled over in the desert coming back from California for speeding. Well, what's the big deal right? I mean he is Bob Bondurant. He knows how to drive. It was probably a sparse track of road. I'm sure it was safe.

Finally, he gets to the point. He was driving his SMART car at the time.

He was one cool dude to listen to that night.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did this for awhile: Pro Autosports

Old 01-15-2012, 05:57 PM
joe13472000
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 89AKurt
I did this for awhile: Pro Autosports

Thanks, Pro Autosports looks interesting.

We offer two programs for street legal cars:
New Member Orientation Class
In our one day New Member Orientation Class you will learn about our organization, its rules, and basic driving techniques. Then you‘ll hit the track in your car for on-track exercises with our experienced instructors. The goal of the class is to provide you with skills that make you a more skillful driver both on the street and on the track.

Upon successful completion you will receive certification and a ProAutoSports license that will allow you to move into the novice, intermediate or advanced groups of the Performance and Defensive Driving Program. Many insurance companies will offer a discount after successful completion of the course, and we recommend the course to any minors over the age of 14 prior to them obtaining a state drivers license.

The ProAutoSports “Performance and Defensive Driving Program”
The Performance and Defensive Driving Program is designed for members with street legal cars. It is an educational program to help members drive their vehicles with greater skill on the street and on the track. The program includes both classroom and on-track exercises. Education, safety, confidence, courtesy, and enjoyment are the goals of the program; therefore competition, timing of cars and racing are prohibited. The street car groups are provided with 4-6 on track sessions daily
<H6>11. How much will this cost?

A: We pride ourselves at ProAutoSports at being able to provide a first class driving experience that is safe, affordable, and fun. Your first time out, you must attend the New Member Orientation ($190) which includes your annual ProAutoSports Performance Driving Program Membership

I believe the one I would be interested in is the 1-day ProAutoSports “Performance and Defensive Driving Program". The price for this 'street legal' car class isn't clear from the web site - but I suspect it isn't that high since you're using your own vehicle - unlike Bondurant. Although, I'd like to have a few more details on this class beyond the abbreviated description. Did you take it by chance?