North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Driver's School (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/driver-s-school-135/)
-   -   SCDA HPDE Schedule (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/driver-s-school/179311-scda-hpde-schedule.html)

HaveATank 10-17-2016 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 4251321)
Being frustrated with the Instructor is never good when out in the track. Sorry it didn't start out well. But glad it got worked out. You are a bit like me in wanting to start slow, be smooth, learn a good line (work on that more later) and then pick shift points. Your video did look good.

I short shift at WGI between T1 and T2...3rd to 4th to 5th, with 5th going into T2...With these engines and the torque they have, it works well.

I guess I will need to try Palmer next season...:thumbsup:

I short shifted into 4th right before going into the S's

gkp 10-18-2016 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by zre (Post 4251177)
Your non-Mini is one heck of a car. Thought it was great. Would like to see it at LRP someday.

The plan is to take it to LRP next year. I'm installing a roll cage now ... just in case it behaves like that Caterham at the crest of the uphill!

gkp 10-18-2016 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by HaveATank (Post 4251304)
Never had i experience under steer....Also he wanted me to take lines which i didn't feel would be real effective for my car/tire and in some i was right about them....The track is very technical and everything looks the same. The 3rd session i was searching for the optimal Gears thru out the whole track and working on the braking (braking later and try to carry more speed)...
I like it. the elevation is crazy and good at the same time. it has so many passing zones.

I've done Palmer twice and I remember I spent the entire first day trying to figure out how to avoid having all my speed scrubbed by understeer. Overall, your experience is similar to what mine was — it takes a lot of experimenting to get things right. I also think instructors who drive FWD cars may have very different theories about Palmer than those who drive RWD cars since virtually every turn is an uphill or downhill.

What year MINI do you have, Tank? Do you know what gave up on the engine?

HaveATank 10-18-2016 11:23 AM

I have a 2003 MCS. I think something in the timing went wrong. Chain Broke/Chain Skipped a tooth/Chain Guide Broke/chain tensioner or C4 Leaned out and caused the timing to go out of timing.

I'm going to build the Spare JCW motor i have. When i pull the engine out Ill see what went wrong. I personally thing the C4 is done because i couldn't get the spark plug out and i was getting smoke from the intake which indicates intake valves are open. I still need the cams from the old motor If it survived and the Oil baffle and Crank pulley.

zre 10-18-2016 11:28 AM

Anyone looking for race seats? I stopped by the Porsche shop today and he has some Sparco seats. If interested let me know and I will find out what he is looking for them.

Eddie07S 10-18-2016 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by gkp (Post 4251362)
The plan is to take it to LRP next year. I'm installing a roll cage now ... just in case it behaves like that Caterham at the crest of the uphill!

I watched that video a bunch of times and the only thing i can conclude is that the Caterham was too far beyond the crest of the hill for it to have been the cause of his problem. I get light right at the crest and have gotten the traction control light when I have spun/slipped the front tires, but never that far down the track. My guess is that he hit the gas too hard on cold tires and spun the rear tires. You said that the driver said this was a big OH sh... moment; did he say what he thought caused it?

At any rate that was a really nice save he had. A couple of years ago I got a good picture of a brand new Vette that didn't fair too well when he lost it. Shortened the front by 2 feet...:eek:

gkp 10-19-2016 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 4251498)
I watched that video a bunch of times and the only thing i can conclude is that the Caterham was too far beyond the crest of the hill for it to have been the cause of his problem. You said that the driver said this was a big OH sh... moment; did he say what he thought caused it?:

No, he didn't say. It's possible he hit the gas before the rear settled. RWD cars behave very differently than our MINIs at that spot. The front wheels are well beyond the crest before the rear settles. I was behind him a few times and because his car is so light you can see the weight rise off the rear wheels.

MrBlah 10-19-2016 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by gkp (Post 4251362)

what cage did you get?

I'm stuck trying to decide if I should quick fit harness & stock seats, or go to a cage/seat/harness setup

my car is street driven to events, HPDE & autocross

Eddie07S 10-19-2016 05:07 PM

Over heated Oil, cause maybe?

Well, as I noted earlier, at my last event I got a check engine light with a code that the electronic thermostat was failing (my summary). Because I have a ScanGageII and can read water temp, I wasn't too worried; water temps stayed normal but were a bit erratic. Had similar issues on the way home; erratic water temps but basically normal.

So it went to the dealer today (they've been good to me in the past :nod:) to get the check engine light checked out and to get a state inspection. I also mentioned that I had high oil temps and couldn't figure it out. I asked if they could check the auxiliary water pump that pumps coolant to the turbo.

Well, guess what...the electronic thermostat did test out to be bad. Apparently this is common with BMWs and MINIs.

And they found stored codes related to the aux water pump that said it was failing or failed. Now these may have been "notes" something like a code that was stored in the computer. I am not clear on that because it won't throw a check engine light and it doesn't show up on the ScanGageII; unless I missed something. But the SA did say it was something they could see when they hooked it up to their computer. So, the car is getting new of both of these, but the price is also going to reflect about a day's worth of work...ouch :eek: :sad:

Now the question becomes, is the aux water pump the "smoking gun" that I have been looking for as to why I am getting high oil temps? It also may be why my fan is running like crazy lately when I shut the car off, even in the middle of the winter (last winter). I am hoping it is and that now the hot oil problem is also going to be fixed. I'll report back once I have had a chance to put a few miles on the car.

gkp 10-20-2016 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by mega72 (Post 4251611)
what cage did you get?

I'm stuck trying to decide if I should quick fit harness & stock seats, or go to a cage/seat/harness setup

my car is street driven to events, HPDE & autocross

The cage I'm talking about here is for my non-MINI car that I hope to run at LRP next year. It's a very powerful and relatively light RWD car.

In the MINI I use the Schroth quick-fit harness and like it. I never considered putting a roll cage into the MINI because I think it's hard to get into serious trouble (spins, slides, rollovers). It's FWD and has only moderate power.

gkp 10-20-2016 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 4251770)
Now the question becomes, is the aux water pump the "smoking gun" that I have been looking for as to why I am getting high oil temps? It also may be why my fan is running like crazy lately when I shut the car off, even in the middle of the winter (last winter).

Keep us posted. My fan runs like crazy, too. But my temps seem steady and no codes. So I have never worried too much about it.

MrBlah 10-20-2016 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by gkp (Post 4251872)
The cage I'm talking about here is for my non-MINI car that I hope to run at LRP next year. It's a very powerful and relatively light RWD car.

In the MINI I use the Schroth quick-fit harness and like it. I never considered putting a roll cage into the MINI because I think it's hard to get into serious trouble (spins, slides, rollovers). It's FWD and has only moderate power.

ohh I've spun both my MINIs autocrosing and I've drifted sweepers on the track, it's fun powering out of them thankfully I've always had enough pedal left to pull out of the slide

gkp 10-21-2016 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mega72 (Post 4251887)
ohh I've spun both my MINIs autocrosing and I've drifted sweepers on the track, it's fun powering out of them thankfully I've always had enough pedal left to pull out of the slide

Me too. But in a MINI it's very unlikely you'll ever go into 360+ out-of-control spin like you sometimes see with 400+ HP RWD cars or super-light cars like the Elise. Good example — I once made a bonehead rookie move coming out of Big Bend at LRP, shot across the track and went off on the right side (but nowhere near the wall). Had I been in a RWD car I am pretty sure I would have been into the wall just like a friend of mine was in his BRZ a year or two ago. In some situations understeer is your best friend.

Eddie07S 10-21-2016 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mega72 (Post 4251887)

This has always been my worry going up through the esses at WGI. If the rear on a MINI lets loose, there is no catching it because you are flat out. I saw this happen to an instructor in his prepped E30 track car; it didn't fair too well.

Originally Posted by gkp (Post 4252135)
Me too. But in a MINI it's very unlikely you'll ever go into 360+ out-of-control spin like you sometimes see with 400+ HP RWD cars or super-light cars like the Elise. Good example — I once made a bonehead rookie move coming out of Big Bend at LRP, shot across the track and went off on the right side (but nowhere near the wall). Had I been in a RWD car I am pretty sure I would have been into the wall just like a friend of mine was in his BRZ a year or two ago. In some situations understeer is your best friend.

From experience I can say that it is not that unlikely to spin a MINI. A stock MINI or S, ya, unlikely (reason they make for such a great beginner track car and are still fun). But a MINI with the sports or JCW suspension option can be made to rotate in a not so good fashion. Or take a MINI or S modded with a big rear sway bar, has shocks that are not quite up to the task, not enough camber in the rear and added camber in the front and the rear can slide unexpectedly in the middle of a curve. Once it approaches about 90 deg the tires will hook up and send you off the track.

I have an unconventional suspension setup for a reason; to keep that sort of thing from happening again. It is also a reason that I suggest against putting a big RSB in a MINI for street or track use if the person is not an expert track driver or racer and without some other major mods like stiffer front spring (or front sway bar), shocks, etc.

Eddie07S 10-21-2016 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by gkp (Post 4251874)
Keep us posted. My fan runs like crazy, too. But my temps seem steady and no codes. So I have never worried too much about it.

Picked it up today and after hooking the ScanGage back up I have driven it enough for the water temp to be normal, the oil temp is lower and the fan has not run (not sure if it didn't run because it wouldn't have anyway or because the "fix" fixed something). I will know better later on Sunday as I have a bit of a trip to go on and I should know from the oil temps I see there and whether the fan runs.

gkp - unfortunately the N14 MINIs didn't have oil temp. My water temps were always good too. So that part never worried me. It was my oil temps that were going out of sight that got my attention. Unfortunately you can't see those, but my guess is that is why your fan is running. I will let you know more later on Sunday.

gkp 10-22-2016 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 4252202)
gkp - unfortunately the N14 MINIs didn't have oil temp. My water temps were always good too. So that part never worried me. It was my oil temps that were going out of sight that got my attention. Unfortunately you can't see those, but my guess is that is why your fan is running. I will let you know more later on Sunday.

An oil temp gauge has been on my list for a long time. Maybe it's time to do something about it. :)

Eddie07S 10-23-2016 06:16 PM

The weather is looking pretty good for next Saturday. Anyone looking to go to LRP?

Veggi - are you going to make it one last outing for the season?

zre 10-24-2016 05:33 AM

Was thinking on taking a run to LRP to watch for a while. Eddie07S want me to bring rear disks?

gkp 10-24-2016 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 4252585)
The weather is looking pretty good for next Saturday. Anyone looking to go to LRP?

I can't make it. Have something else planned.

veggivet 10-24-2016 07:05 AM

Eddie 07, I am on wait list for INT2 at this point. That is my plan to hedge the weather, hoping at least a couple of people change their minds at the last minute. Forecast at this point looks decent, but a chilly start. I hope a spot opens up, but if not, I won't be crushed. They're really pushing the season going out to November 12th…we'll see but I doubt I will sign up for that one. I'll be in Albany today, and going to see Psycho @ The Palace tonite @ 8 if you are free to meet up.

veggivet 10-24-2016 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by zre (Post 4251451)
Anyone looking for race seats? I stopped by the Porsche shop today and he has some Sparco seats. If interested let me know and I will find out what he is looking for them.

I might be interested in these if they are compatible for an R53 and my current harness set up.

zre 10-24-2016 07:14 AM

veggivet, the shop has a set of OMP seats, pm me your email address and I can forward pictures.

veggivet 10-24-2016 07:15 AM

Thanks, will do...

Eddie07S 10-24-2016 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by veggivet (Post 4252666)
Eddie 07, I am on wait list for INT2 at this point. That is my plan to hedge the weather, hoping at least a couple of people change their minds at the last minute. Forecast at this point looks decent, but a chilly start. I hope a spot opens up, but if not, I won't be crushed. They're really pushing the season going out to November 12th…we'll see but I doubt I will sign up for that one. I'll be in Albany today, and going to see Psycho @ The Palace tonite @ 8 if you are free to meet up.

Hope you can make it. I'm planning to meet up with zre.

Have fun at Psycho :thumbsup:

veggivet 10-24-2016 07:13 PM

Fingers crossed that I'll make it off the waiting list onto the driver's list. Psycho was excellent. I think the director, a guy by the name of Alfred Hitchcock, may have a future in film.