North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Driver's School (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/driver-s-school-135/)
-   -   SCDA HPDE Schedule (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/driver-s-school/179311-scda-hpde-schedule.html)

Eddie07S 09-16-2016 09:10 AM

Oooooo
Race seat......
Drool......

But I get ahead of myself; roll bar first. :lol:

Eddie07S 09-16-2016 09:16 AM

I run the XP8s in the rear all summer. I guess I could run them in the winter but don't want to put that wear on them. As it is, I get a couple of years out of the rears. As for the fronts, as I said, the Carbotech 1521s work ok, but they make the brake pedal feel soft and their bite is low. Just a heads up if that is what you go with.

zre 09-16-2016 09:52 AM

it's too bad we don't live closer since you could try the roll bar also.

S-Driver 09-17-2016 01:10 AM

Ugh......my MINI build is not really anywhere near being done, as far as I can tell.

Eddie07S 09-17-2016 04:55 AM

:sad:

Eddie07S 09-17-2016 01:28 PM

So, new rotors went on. Really nice.

I checked over the rotors I took off and found 2 lumps of brake pad deposit on one of them. I guess I didn't get it all cleaned off from the last time. I got some emery cloth, will clean them up and use them as spares.

This got me thinking. Are slotted rotors better at controlling/preventing this pad build up problem instead of the plain face rotors I am currently using? Any thoughts about this, anyone?

Mini Mania 09-17-2016 02:11 PM

rotors

Slotted are primarily for venting gas and dust that builds up between the pad and rotor. That results in better contact between the two. There may be some cooling benefits to help prevent rotor warpage.

Here's a great application guide that should help!

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper...lacement_Guide

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Eddie07S 09-17-2016 02:16 PM

Does that mean that the slots help to keep the pads clean?

zre 09-18-2016 01:04 PM

Anybody up for the 30th? I have slotted rotors and still got the buildup due to mis-matched compounds.

HaveATank 09-18-2016 01:28 PM

Zre take it to a machine shop they will turn them for you. Cost like $20per rotor.

Eddie07S 09-18-2016 02:42 PM

I had a friend suggest that the lumpies can be a result of not bedding them in fully. I am wondering if that was the case with mine. I have not had this problem before. It was suggested that I get pre-bedded pads.

I worked on the rotors I took off and found the problem was more than I originally thought. Also the emery cloth didn't work well. It wouldn't cut into the stuff. So I took some course sandpaper (from a belt sander) and sanded off the gunk and the sanded that with the emery. The way it was deposited, especially on the outside where it is hotter, it made me think the pads hadn't been bedded fully and crap was still coming out.

Eddie07S 09-18-2016 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by HaveATank (Post 4244355)
Zre take it to a machine shop they will turn them for you. Cost like $20per rotor.

Not a bad idea.

zre 09-18-2016 02:50 PM

Been reading up on this and it is suggested to use a rotor hone, $ 30.95 at summit racing, you use with your cordless drill. Creates a nice cross pattern

zre 09-18-2016 02:54 PM

You can look at M3post.com, it shows the process

Eddie07S 09-18-2016 04:45 PM

Or, Amazon.

Looks like a good idea. I take a cordless drill with me anyway, so what's one more thing...LOL

zre 09-19-2016 11:59 AM

Ordered tool yesterday, will let you know how it works. Thinking of ordering G-loc pads like GKP uses. Same compound as Carbotech but a little less expensive. Probably going to order street pads for front so I get the same compound and will not get build-up when I change to race pads.

Eddie07S 09-19-2016 06:26 PM

G-Loc web page looks a lot like the Carbotech's. :wink:
But they don't have XP-24 like Carbotech...:lol:
Who do you think you will buy from?

zre 09-20-2016 02:59 AM

Probably buy from Brake Swap, same place GKP bought from, no shipping charges.

zre 09-23-2016 06:30 AM

Received the JCW muffler and ordered the G-loc pads for front, both street and rack. Will hone rotors and use street pads so I do not have different compounds from street to track.

Looking forward to new exhaust note.

Eddie07S 09-23-2016 06:51 AM

:thumbsup:

I think you will like the JCW exhaust. :nod:

I just bought new Wilwood pads for next weekend; Poly H. This is what I've been using and it appears that it is difficult to switch. Also, I go through pads quickly so there is a cost factor. I still like the the Carbotechs, though, and am interested in hearing how you like the G-locs

zre 09-23-2016 06:56 AM

I would like to hear how they work. Ran Poly B at LRP prior and liked them. Carbotech rep said these are not as rotor friendly as theirs. What are you running for street pads? Are they same basic compound type?

Eddie07S 09-23-2016 08:16 AM

I have run the Poly H from day one and like them. They are linear with getting on the brakes but can be a little abrupt getting off the brakes (or is it just me? :lol:) I run their street pad on the street, so it should be the same compound. No, they are not rotor friendly; not like the Carbotechs.

I tried the Poly Bs but that was back when I was having major brake problems. I would like to try them again. They have a little bit less bite than the H pads and that might be good in the MINI.

Eddie07S 09-24-2016 08:43 AM

Hey I forgot to mention that for my last last outing at LRP I ran non-ethanol, 91 octane gas instead of the 93 octane with ethanol. I want to see the difference on the the track between the two as I normally run the 93. I've been running ithe non-ethanol on the street for a while and like the way it runs. The most notable difference is the improvement in gas mileage; 3 to 4 mpg better. On the track, is was no slower. In fact I recorded my quickest lap time that event. Not sure whether that was just me, the gas or the day (better track conditions after the rain?).

Anyone else tried the non-ethanol gas on the track?

Eddie07S 09-24-2016 08:55 AM

On a sad note, I got an email from SCDA that they are teaming up with the suicide prevention foundation and talked about Ian. I suspect most of you also got that email, but just wanted say that I feel bad about the implications of they said. On the other hand I think they are doing the right thing by Ian and hope that SCDA moves foreword with the same commitment that it had with him. That last event of the season that they are holding should be a great one.

S-Driver 09-25-2016 10:20 AM

I will probably come up and hang out for that event so long as the weather is nice...