Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

SCDA HPDE Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 12:51 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by S-Driver
That was a fun event Gbuff.....

I miss track days but enjoy (now) not spending the $$ the track build was gunna cost. But what a car it would have been had it seen completion..
I remember when you were putting that together--I give you credit for taking it as far as you did. I woulda bagged it long before......FWIW I bet you learned quite a bit about design, fab, and in general what it takes to build a car from scratch

Old 09-03-2020, 12:52 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
@gbuff1, what corner is that @ the glen?
T8--Eddie nailed it.

The following users liked this post:
veggivet (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 12:59 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
There were a couple of classic 2002 BMWs @ WGI, totally raced-prepped, one red and one blue, owned by brothers with nearly identical trailers
I saw those too and really got a kick out of them--don't see many of them anymore. Of course, there prolly aren't that many left anymore

The following users liked this post:
veggivet (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 01:02 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Yup, that's it! You can see the edge of the large gravel run-off area that GKP used to his advantage when his computer decided the car needed a rest from his thrashing on Day 1.
Yes, he told me about that--the dreaded "limp mode".....glad it fixed itself.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:03 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
I could have done surgery inside either engine bay; they looked cleaner than most ORs I've been in! The guy was wiping things down in there between every session! All they needed was a white one to reproduce the flag. You could buy one for 30k and give your MINI a break, gbuff1!

Old 09-03-2020, 01:08 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
The Toe?

That is the only place I remember that wedge shaped concrete...

That picture is a great shot. One in a Million. It was done with a long lens so distances get compressed and the curbing doesn’t look right, though.
Thankfully the repave took care of that concrete--between that and the river going across, that turn was brutal in the wet.
And IIRC that T8 curbing was even more harsh then than it is now; you can see where the grass is gone on the other side of it. Wonder why??

Old 09-03-2020, 01:19 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
I could have done surgery inside either engine bay; they looked cleaner than most ORs I've been in! The guy was wiping things down in there between every session! All they needed was a white one to reproduce the flag. You could buy one for 30k and give your MINI a break, gbuff1!
Yeah, and then another 30k for tow vehicle and trailer.....but it would be really cool!

Old 09-03-2020, 01:59 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gbuff1
Thankfully the repave took care of that concrete--between that and the river going across, that turn was brutal in the wet.
And IIRC that T8 curbing was even more harsh then than it is now; you can see where the grass is gone on the other side of it. Wonder why??
Something tells me it wasn't due to lack of water!😁

Old 09-03-2020, 02:00 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Yeah, and then another 30k for tow vehicle and trailer.....but it would be really cool!
I was thinking the same thing! Maybe the guy who preps them could stop just short of making it not street legal...

Old 09-03-2020, 05:17 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
I was thinking the same thing! Maybe the guy who preps them could stop just short of making it not street legal...
That is starting to sound like my Gray MINI. And I bet my Gray MINI is safer too, as it is probably slower.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:46 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Hmmm, so GKP had a little “computer knows better issue”?
Yes, I sure did and how I hate to be that guy who caused a black flag. Remember, I have a tune on the car and that ups the boost into the low 20s at times. I came around the toe, upshifted and was going up the hill so the turbo was working hard. All I can figure is that for a split second the boost went above some level that the ECU didn't like. The engine cut out. Fortunately, I was able to get to the top of the hill then coast far out of the way. By the time the tow came, the car started gain and was fine. BMW electronics strike again.

On a different note, I want to give a shoutout to the Hankook Ventus RS4 tires. They don't get as much love from Tire Rack as the Direzzas or RE-71Rs . However, if you dig deeper into the comments you'll see that's partly because of weaker straight line traction. The lateral traction is very strong (something Tire Rack mentions) and that's more important for MINIs since we're not likely to break the wheels loose on the straights. And the wear is very good.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:06 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Nice shot! One of the rare times I was ahead of you without my left arm outside of the car...😁

It almost looks like MINI developed the color Electric Blue to blend right in at WGI. The Classic Mini color Surf Blue is even closer to an exact match.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:18 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Love the Picture!

From what I have read is the RS4s are really well liked by the endurance race crowd. They don’t deal with a lot of straightline traction either... They like them for their long life and grip. I have also seen them a lot in the BMW crowd.

I am not a big fan of the RE71Rs as they tend to give out or is it “give up” as laps build. I will be replacing my ‘Stones with the Falkens at the end of this season. I’ll need replacement by then for my 15” wheels.

I have done some more “post track day” write up about the JCW, posted here. Brake pads, tires, wheel well wear... all covered.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:31 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
And here's one for gbuff1 — maybe my favorite pic of the weekend.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:15 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gkp
And here's one for gbuff1 — maybe my favorite pic of the weekend.

OMG, that's awesome, gkp! Parked next to four bullets, and that's as close as I got to any of them

Old 09-04-2020, 11:19 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
The masked avenger in action!

Old 09-04-2020, 11:19 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gkp
Yes, I sure did and how I hate to be that guy who caused a black flag. Remember, I have a tune on the car and that ups the boost into the low 20s at times. I came around the toe, upshifted and was going up the hill so the turbo was working hard. All I can figure is that for a split second the boost went above some level that the ECU didn't like. The engine cut out. Fortunately, I was able to get to the top of the hill then coast far out of the way. By the time the tow came, the car started gain and was fine. BMW electronics strike again.

On a different note, I want to give a shoutout to the Hankook Ventus RS4 tires. They don't get as much love from Tire Rack as the Direzzas or RE-71Rs . However, if you dig deeper into the comments you'll see that's partly because of weaker straight line traction. The lateral traction is very strong (something Tire Rack mentions) and that's more important for MINIs since we're not likely to break the wheels loose on the straights. And the wear is very good.

That's a very nice pair right there.....it was a real treat to see some of these on track. They're so capable it escapes me why I don't see more. And it isn't the fwd "thing" as I see tons of GTIs and Type Rs, both VW and Honda, among others....

Old 09-04-2020, 11:27 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Love the Picture!

From what I have read is the RS4s are really well liked by the endurance race crowd. They don’t deal with a lot of straightline traction either... They like them for their long life and grip. I have also seen them a lot in the BMW crowd.

I am not a big fan of the RE71Rs as they tend to give out or is it “give up” as laps build. I will be replacing my ‘Stones with the Falkens at the end of this season. I’ll need replacement by then for my 15” wheels.

I really like the RE71R for the most part--the grip is ridiculous for a street tire (I've heard them referred to as "cheater" streets) and they're really good in the wet if you drive in it. I don't like the weight of the tire when new; in my car you can really feel it....and of course the wear which I really have to stay on top of with stock camber. In the dry you can move them all over the car, which I certainly do! I believe the tire is about 5 yrs old now which shows how it's stood the test, though TR rates the new Yokohama A052 slightly higher now.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:29 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
OMG, that's awesome, gkp! Parked next to four bullets, and that's as close as I got to any of them
oops

Old 09-04-2020, 11:31 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
The masked avenger in action!
That's new for me this year given what we're faced with (no pun)--thankfully it doesn't fog my glasses.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:21 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I really like the RE71R for the most part--the grip is ridiculous for a street tire (I've heard them referred to as "cheater" streets) and they're really good in the wet if you drive in it. I don't like the weight of the tire when new; in my car you can really feel it....and of course the wear which I really have to stay on top of with stock camber. In the dry you can move them all over the car, which I certainly do! I believe the tire is about 5 yrs old now which shows how it's stood the test, though TR rates the new Yokohama A052 slightly higher now.
Maybe it is the S with more weight up front and/or my driving, but evenf with camber, I have gone through a few of the ‘Stones. Of course, LRP is really hard on that left front, especially with the FWD. So, maybe I’ll blame LRP and Big Bend. Ya, that’s the ticket. It’s Big Bend...

In talking with a guy who does endurance racing, he says the A052 are the fastest of the bunch, but the Federal 615s are the longest wearing, by about double.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:26 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Maybe it is the S with more weight up front and/or my driving, but evenf with camber, I have gone through a few of the ‘Stones. Of course, LRP is really hard on that left front, especially with the FWD. So, maybe I’ll blame LRP and Big Bend. Ya, that’s the ticket. It’s Big Bend...

In talking with a guy who does endurance racing, he says the A052 are the fastest of the bunch, but the Federal 615s are the longest wearing, by about double.
LRP sounds similar to Mid-O re the LF; I can, and have, killed one in a single day there.

TR actually rates the A052 slightly higher in the wet than the 71R but if you look at the picture on their site there's hardly any tread on the thing! Must be a real gumball of a compound......and I did an event earlier this year at Mid-O and the instructor in the garage next to me was driving a big, heavy (and fast) M4 and running those Federals--he really liked them, especially for the money. He said they didn't stick quite like other tires but, as you say, the wear was phenomenal.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:33 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
I blame everything on Big Bend! 😁

@gbuff1 I think the reason you don't see more MINIs on the track is because of the 'size' thing. Keep in mind that to many guys the track is just a testosterone-fueled contest to see who has the loudest motor/exhaust, and therefore the biggest -ick. MINI owners drive above that fray, although usually behind those higher hp cars. 😉

Old 09-04-2020, 02:46 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
I blame everything on Big Bend! 😁

@gbuff1 I think the reason you don't see more MINIs on the track is because of the 'size' thing. Keep in mind that to many guys the track is just a testosterone-fueled contest to see who has the loudest motor/exhaust, and therefore the biggest -ick. MINI owners drive above that fray, although usually behind those higher hp cars. 😉
Yes, VV, with the varied events that I do I see that more and more with some groups--the cars are very fast and they are mostly driven very well. But I find it fun to point them by in a turn, especially on a big, WIDE track like the Glen, and give them lots of room and see if they actually go. You'd be surprised at the number that don't, or are really slow to go.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:01 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
LOL!😁😁 Life is all about the curves, in more ways than one...😉

Yeah, they're all swagger on the straight, but a bit timid in those corners, eh??

Quick Reply: SCDA HPDE Schedule