Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Oh MINI detail gurus, I could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:35 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh MINI detail gurus, I could use some help

So I was just rear ended and had some bumper work done. When I got the car back it was very clean. I'm almost certain they buffed/polished the car. It was that clean!

I noticed this haze on the roof and a spot on the rear left quarter panel a few days ago (see pic below)...it's above the reflection of the light and on the stripe
It is very hard to see out in the sun, but in the shade or at night it is noticeable. It BUGS me to death lol

It feels a bit rough to the touch. I know its not from the paint job because only the bumper and rear section of the hatch were worked on.

Is that left over polish? How would I go about removing that?
Tried rubbing it out with my finger but nope.....I know nothing about detailing

Can anyone help?

Attached Thumbnails Oh MINI detail gurus, I could use some help-haze.jpg  

Last edited by NewCooperFanatic; 09-05-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It likely is paint overspray. That's really the only thing that wold leave it rough to the touch. It's pretty common and can be from not covering the areas of the car that weren't worked on or even the ventilation system.

Clay bar can probably take care of it, but since it was just repaired, I'd bring it to that shop and have them take a look.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
It likely is paint overspray. That's really the only thing that wold leave it rough to the touch. It's pretty common and can be from not covering the areas of the car that weren't worked on or even the ventilation system.

Clay bar can probably take care of it, but since it was just repaired, I'd bring it to that shop and have them take a look.
You are a genius my friend! I purchased a fine clay bar(I guess that means the least abrasive??) because the car is so new. Figured the paint wouldn't be horrible.

I youtubed how to clay bar, pretty easy actually, and that haze came right off

Think I might do the whole car! Thanks

Old 09-06-2012, 06:13 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. You should definitely use it on the whole car (even the glass and then use the rest on the wheels). You'll see just how easy the wipers will glide next time it rains and those stubborn bits of brake dust/ road tar will come off much easier.

Just note that the clay will take off the wax you have on the car so definitely Re-wax afterward.

Last edited by NJ Mini; 09-06-2012 at 07:06 PM.