Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Plastic Chrome Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:40 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic Chrome Help

Being this is the best Detailing forum on the net, need some help with BMW chrome. I think their chrome around the windows is plastic. It seems to turn cloudy and near impossible to get the cloudy look off the plastic. Is there something that can be used on new plastic chrome to keep it from getting cloudy and 2nd, is there anything short of semi-flat black paint to restore the cloudy/stained looking chrome. Cut and Swirl don't seem to touch it? I have BW but for chrome?? Anyone???

Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Unfortunately, we haven't seen anything out there that does anything for the painted plastic that looks like chrome. From our research, in most cases it just has to be replaced once it becomes clouded.

That said, we do have a customer who removes magnesium chloride staining from such a surface (on his Ford F-250, I think it is) using P21S Polishing Soap. I haven't used the Polishing Soap in this way myself but he swears by it.

P21S Polishing Soap is a unique product that consists of a soap-like "cake/bar" looking chunk in which you almost lather your dampened (included) open-cell foam applicator. The idea is that the sudsing that is created, along with more traditional abrasive polishing beads that are embedded in the product, helps to work the surface more effectively. It is intended for metals, so I was surprised when our customer tried it on plastic and it didn't cause more damage than good!

Like I said, he swears by it . I keep meaning to try it myself but just haven't had a chance to do it.

Hope that helps... wish I had something more concrete to suggest. Good luck!

-Heather

Old 07-25-2009, 05:42 AM
lotsie
Banned
You could give Plastix a try, it works great on clear plastic surfaces.

Mark