Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

STAIN ON PLASTIC SKIRT

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM
shadow1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STAIN ON PLASTIC SKIRT

Hi all,

I have an r56 demo model (damn i love it) but ever since it came from the factory there is a stain on the skirt, from what looks like orange mud or some cleaning stuff that "ran". I thought meguiars detailer would remove it but alas after 1 month of trying everything i cant get rid of it. any ideas? oh and im in stone age SOUTH AFRICA

Old 09-20-2008, 01:14 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds to me like a Cosmoline drip. Goo Gone or Black Wow should clean it up. BW has the added benefit of improving the look as well.

Richard

Originally Posted by shadow1
Hi all,

I have an r56 demo model (damn i love it) but ever since it came from the factory there is a stain on the skirt, from what looks like orange mud or some cleaning stuff that "ran". I thought meguiars detailer would remove it but alas after 1 month of trying everything i cant get rid of it. any ideas? oh and im in stone age SOUTH AFRICA

Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
I have something similar that came down from the seam of where the bonnet meets main body right above the front tire.

It started small and then I noticed it kinda grew... I read here somewhere that a little wd-40 would help, so I tried it. It seems to have hurt a lil in the process. I didn't let it soak, I was nice and gentle. After that, I washed my car with Mystique as normal, hydro'd and then used Wizards on all my fender skirts.

The next day when I took a peek at the problem area, it seemed that it had lost some shine (for lack of a better word). I then decided a 'thicker, more thorough wizarding" would help... it did, but not by much.

Also, I've noticed that the 'streaks o' gunk' that came between the seam has sort of distorted the plastic a bit... feels raised a little bit.

Any advice out there for this detailing noob? (apologies if this has been discussed at length... just can't seem to find the info I'm looking for)

Couple o' pix to show what I'm talking about:

Last edited by ColdFyre; 09-29-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 09-30-2008, 12:45 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, definitely cosmoline. Simple Green got mine off, then be sure to treat afterward with a dressing (Black Wow, etc).

Old 09-30-2008, 06:52 AM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
I've had the same thing going on since I brought my car home from the dealer. Thankfully, I learned about this infamous "weep point" on NAM beforehand, and vigilantly wiped the residue away as soon as it appeared (and reappeared). I've tried to locate and eliminate the cosmoline source, but it's difficult since it appears to be hidden in the sheet metal baffles under the hood.

I've discussed this with my service advisor and he said he'd replace the wheel arches if they get etched by the cosmoline, and he'd do it under the factory warranty. But he did say "let's wait until it's done dripping!" As I said, I've been keeping an eye on it, but it's good to know the dealer's got my back if I slip up and let some drip unnoticed.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:51 AM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AvidMINI
I've discussed this with my service advisor and he said he'd replace the wheel arches if they get etched by the cosmoline, and he'd do it under the factory warranty.
Good to know.... I think I'm gonna add that to the short (but growing) list of things I need them to take care of when I take my MCCM-s in for it's 1st service