Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Too soon old - Too late smart

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Frank in Toledo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too soon old - Too late smart

Recently I discovered Prima and rushed to get Mystique and Hydro which I have used now aproximately three times together and once an application of Hyro on a clean dry car.

Then I ordered Epic and Banana Gloss. After a washing with Mystique, clay bar, and thoroughly drying the car, I applied one coat of BG. I now realize that the order of things should be [further reading here] Epic, BG, and Hydro. I have not yet used the Epic.

My question is, what do I need to do to make things right and get the order to Epic, BG, Hydro?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Hi Frank, Nick here filling in for Heather.

Personally, I would mix in a small spray bottle a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water. Spray it on the paint and wipe-just like you did with Hydro. That will get you back to paint and ready for Epic. Wait at least 24 hours after you remove Epic before you top with BG.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Frank in Toledo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Detailers Paradise
Hi Frank, Nick here filling in for Heather.

Personally, I would mix in a small spray bottle a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water. Spray it on the paint and wipe-just like you did with Hydro. That will get you back to paint and ready for Epic. Wait at least 24 hours after you remove Epic before you top with BG.
Thanks Nick,

As much as I hated to do this, I bit the bullet and did as you suggested and then applied Epic after masking off the black trim. Everything's looking great. I shall wait a couple of days to apply the Banana Gloss.

SideNote: Masking tape stuch to all the trim except for the black trim under the front bumper. This is going to take a lot of care applying the Epic to avoid white marks.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:52 PM
jcoop36
2nd Gear
Frank - If you apply Black Wow or some similar black trim treatment prior to applying Epic, no need to tape/mask off those areas. The Epic will wipe off pretty easily from treated trim - advice I followed which worked like a charm! Good luck with making your MINI a beaut!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Frank in Toledo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jcoop36
Frank - If you apply Black Wow or some similar black trim treatment prior to applying Epic, no need to tape/mask off those areas. The Epic will wipe off pretty easily from treated trim - advice I followed which worked like a charm! Good luck with making your MINI a beaut!
Thank you for the tip. I have a question, does Mother's Back To Black fill the bill for this purpose?

BTW I thought I had left the garage light on last night when I opened the door this morning. What a shine with only one coat of Epic. Something happens overnight. Now I am thinking one more coat before applying Banana Gloss.