D Stock Exhausts, what do the auto-x folks say?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:20 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exhausts, what do the auto-x folks say?

There's a million exhaust threads and most say to go with the one that you like the sound of. That's easy. I can do that, but I was wondering what the auto cross folks recommend since they are probably more interested in power gains.

I am guessing the SuperTrapps are most recommend, but I was wondering what else was. The thing that puts me off of the SuperTrapps is that it's not just a bolt on replacement system and then you have this big "thing" hanging off the back of the exhaust pipe (not to offend anyone, just giving my opinion ). Then there's the issue of the pipe exiting in the middle or off to a side.

Anyway ... so what exhaust do you fellow drivers recommend?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 PM
fritznw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk with George over at Mini-Madness.com, he has a new Milltek Sport exhaust. 2 1/2" all mandrel bent cat-back with tips that look similar to the JCW exhaust. I had him put this one on our '06 JCW and right away I could feel the extra punch from the increase in torque. The exhaust note is perfect as well, more aggresive than the Borla sport without rumbling your ears off.

Dudley

Old 07-16-2007, 02:04 AM
L8Apex
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Supertrapp Wavetech on my '07. I'm not one to be concerned with the sound of it, more the performance. The one I have only weighed I believe 6lbs. by itself and when it's race time I simply unbolt the endcap and it becomes essentially a straight pipe, very good for turbos. Plus, for $170 it was an inexpensive exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails Exhausts, what do the auto-x folks say?-dscn0493.jpg   Exhausts, what do the auto-x folks say?-dscn0492.jpg   Exhausts, what do the auto-x folks say?-dscn0491.jpg  
Old 07-16-2007, 02:55 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know that any of the exhaust systems out there are really going to stand head-and-shoulders above the rest at autocross speeds, although I guess that will depend on your course layout. In all of my events, I've never needed to get out of second gear, and it's not uncommon for my highest RPM of the day to be in the 5300-5400 range on the tighter, more technical courses, or maybe 5800 on some of the wider-open layouts.

Even the exhausts that show an improvement on the dyno generally don't show much of an improvement until you're closer to the top of the RPM range.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
L8Apex, that is a very nice install with the tip around the SuperTrapps. That fixes my concern of having the strange looking end hanging a foot out from the bumper

ScottRiqui, good points. I've been doing more reading here and there since posting this and it seams like another point of view is to get the lightest exhaust and take advantage of the weight saving instead of the supposed power gains.

thanks everyone!