Tire Chains JCW w 19 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:53 AM
hooboggled
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Chains JCW w 19 inch wheels

I have size 225/40R19 tires on a 2015 Countryman JCW and I bought the smallest chains I could find, but there still doesn't seem to be enough space between the tire and the shocks to fit the chains. Any suggestions? I thought about tire spacers, but I don't want to void the warranty. I looked for smaller wheel and tire combos from tire rack, but they seem to only offer 18 inch and up wheels that are the same width as what I have now, so I don't think that will free up anymore space between my tire and shock than what I have now. I could buy snow tires, but in California mountain roads you still need to carry chains and sometimes put them on even with All4 and snow tires. Those times are limited but they do happen and perhaps I shouldn't even attempt to drive in those conditions, but I'd still like to put on chains because the drop offs can be hundreds of feet to a thousand.

It looks like they almost fit, but the shock is definitely touching the chain link.

Last edited by hooboggled; 02-18-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added Vehicle Type, Year and model
Old 02-18-2017, 05:24 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look for wheels that have less offset than your stocks. That should free up more space for chains because it reduces the backspacing of your wheels. Your wheels could 'poke' out a little bit more than your stocks from the side of the car but if it's a dedicated winter setup that probably wouldn't be an issue, plus it wouldn't be substantial.