Country Roads MINIs Club supporting MINI owners and enthusiasts of West Virginia.

New to here, need some help

Old 01-28-2015, 12:06 PM
TheProfessor971
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to here, need some help

Hello everyone! My name is Jon, I live in Huntington, and I have a 2008 Clubman. I bought it in March of last year and I've had a lot of fun with it, but I've run into some irritating problems...

Back in October it started idling rough and would stumble when starting from a stop. The check engine light came on and my research on that led me to the MAF sensor. So, I cleaned the MAF sensor but that didn't seem to help. I finally had the opportunity to get it checked out at MAG Mini in Columbus and that was a bad day to say the least... Turns out the thing had several rather serious issues that I felt like should have been evident to the dealer that sold it to me.

The most crucial issue was bad solenoids in the VANOS system, which they repaired. They also corrected a leaky coolant sensor and a few other things, but the list was astronomical so I basically had done what I could afford to have done to keep from destroying the engine... Afterward, it ran SIGNIFICANTLY better. Apparently it had jumped time and they replaced the timing belt tensioner (I'd have to check the paper to see if the timing belt was replaced). Within a few days, it was right back to idling rough and stumbling from a stop. I was LIVID. I called up there but obviously I'd still have to drive all that way again and spend more money to see what's up.

There are a few more less pressing problems that I'd like to get fixed... a bad vacuum pump (not sure what its role is in the whole "car-running-like-a-pecker" saga), a drive belt that's basically at the end of its life, and it's time to get my front brakes replaced. I know it sounds bad, but the car is still a champ when it's cruising.

I basically would like to find someone that knows these cars better than I do to give me some advice, or perhaps can help me do the work that can be done without heading to the dealer. I know it's got issues, but I REALLY enjoy that car and I'm up for doing anything I can to get it rolling smooth again. If i ever get the cash scraped together, I'd be willing to go the dealer route, but I would much prefer to find some help in the Huntington-Charleston area.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:34 PM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm still under warrantee and have not looked for a dependable independant mechanic. I know that there are mechanics in Pittsburgh, but for you it's too far away. Sorry that I cannot provide any leads for you other than to provide a "bump" for your thread.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:40 PM
TheProfessor971
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No worries. I'm actually getting more comfortable with the idea of working on my own car. Yesterday I replaced what I now know to be an infamous vacuum pump and that may have been the simplest of all auto repairs I've ever done. The part was half the price I was quoted and obviously the labor was free!!

Next on the list is to get some good brakes put on there, apparently another simple job. I'll let you know!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:59 PM
wvmtnbiker
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr Mechanic

Originally Posted by TheProfessor971
No worries. I'm actually getting more comfortable with the idea of working on my own car. Yesterday I replaced what I now know to be an infamous vacuum pump and that may have been the simplest of all auto repairs I've ever done. The part was half the price I was quoted and obviously the labor was free!!

Next on the list is to get some good brakes put on there, apparently another simple job. I'll let you know!
Sounds like you have taken on a few projects. Glad you got your hands into it. If you aren't savy about brakes, have someone who is do them. They are a bit tricky and you certainly want to bring her to a stop when needed! I've owned two Mini Coopers and they are great cars provided they are attended to regularly. Sounds like the dealer should have pitched in and jumping time is never a good thing. Maybe belt tensioner? Get on the main forum here and ask for help as there are a ton of knowledgable folks on the main site. Let us know how it all goes. Dan from Fairmont.

Search this Thread