Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN) Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (C.O.R.N.) club forum.

2008 Sandhills Open Road Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:59 PM
MJCMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Sandhills Open Road Challenge

I know this isn't until August, but has anyone ever thought of entering their Mini in this race? It looks like a pretty good time. It's not necessarily a speed race per say, but you enter into a MPH class, so if you enter into the 100mph class, you have average 100mph over the entire course, or you get penalized for +/- times.

link to race: Sandhills Open Road Challenge

link to road where the race (at least in the past) has taken place: Google Map Link

The road the race takes place on is the road that connects Neb 2 and Neb 92 between Dunning and Arnold.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:02 AM
totamdu
3rd Gear
That looks awesome. I've been driving in the sandhills before and its a good time. You can always check out carhenge.

But my vacation is that week and I'm going to a bunch of baseball games, none of them in the sandhills.

edit: actually carhenge is a ways from there more in the badlands.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Viper VS Bird.......Advantage Viper

Old 03-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Tourek R/T
1st Gear
Hey MJCmini,

Actually, I did this twice. Last year and the year before. Running in the 80 mph class (can't go above 110 or 20 mph below your target speed over ~55 miles round trip. cars spaced 30 sec. apart in lower classes), which is the best place to start. The 1st year I went out, my navigator and I placed 2nd (my first time, his second) and then 6th out of 13 last time after my new navigator got our timing messed up . I cannot stress this enough, running the Rally is a very good time, with a lot of very nice and varied machinery (although a bit Corvette/Z06 heavy), friendly and accommodating townsfolk, lots of fellow gearheads to B.S. with, loads of adrenaline, a touch of fear, competition and light hearted fun. And the locals really open things up for us.

The course itself has plenty of straightaways, curves and dips to make it challenging and fun. It’s all closed off, of course, with plenty of safety spotters along the way and even a couple of planes circling overhead keeping tabs on the cars and possible wildlife. Last year was the 1st year that no breakdowns or accidents occurred, which is good.

I could probably go on a bit more about some of the things that happened to either me or others. Anyway, if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Oh, by the way. The day before the Rally, they hold a standing mile/half mile shootout . Here’s a Youtube of a car that, until recently, held the mile record by narrowly edging out a fully windtunnel tested, Chevy-powered, Dodge Viper in name only, competitor who probably only lost due to his hood flying off right before the finish! Should have kept it MoPar!

Insane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPVe9VZpFE

Last edited by Tourek R/T; 03-29-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: misnamed